Ajaxwrite

Hey,

I just read this at slashdot, it is sort of cool. Ajaxwrite is a web based word processor that is platform independent. That is, you connect to the application on the net with any browser, launch it, and a fully functional word processor launches. You can use Linux, Windows, what ever to run it!
You can type documents, then save them to your hard drive, or archive them to the Internet in a variety of formats M$ Word, Open office, etc. Linky below:-) I’ve tried it and the dang thing works!

http://www.ajaxwrite.com/

Good of you to post the link. Someone was actually searching for a good word processor a few weeks ago.

No problem. I actually think this may come in handy one day. :smiley:

I am waiting to see what google does with writely, all this ajax stuff is pretty cool though its mostly all buggy.

Agreed, this is very much alpha software. I found it’ll work with Fire Fox, but, not other browsers like Opera or Konq. I haven’t tried IE 6 with it or Safari.
It is a good idea though. They just need to tweak it a tad.

I think this is a general trend right now, that is, streaming applications over the network rather than running them locally.

Look at email. Why use Outlook/Eudora/TBird or whatever when you can use gmail, which is just as good, and you can check your mail from anywhere?

[quote=“Eso”]I think this is a general trend right now, that is, streaming applications over the network rather than running them locally.

Look at email. Why use Outlook/Eudora/TBird or whatever when you can use gmail, which is just as good, and you can check your mail from anywhere?[/quote]

Yes, gmail is very good indeed.