Airambulance

just learning this htmf so i will ask the questions here i feel the city should be concerned about the awarding of the new airambulance contract in town as of today they still do not have a place to operate from and how can the city expect the same services they are used to if a contractor has no place to operate today i heard a rumor they may construct a canvas shelter,lets hope not

Yes,
They plan on a temporary shelter while the permanent structure is built. All according to local and federal regulations.

On a personal level, I’m sad that VIH no longer has the contract. My bff’s husband works for VIH, and because of his job, he and my bff would come here often and I would get visiting time. Now I won’t, 'cause there’s just not enough work for VIH here, and they (VIH) will most likely have to leave town :frowning:. (that last part is an opinion, not a fact)

So I am wondering why the contract was awarded to a company that must engage in building structures and added cost? Were the costs too high with ViH? Or is it simply that a large company was awarded many contracts throughout the province or country?

a temperary shelter maybe be to standard but to bid on a contract a company was required to have a heated building in place,this contract seems to have been rewarded at the cost of good services to prince rupert so helijet would maintain there shuttle service between victoria to vancouver for the goverment ministers,could you imagine your ambulance service operating from a tent.

to bid on the contract you were required to have a heated permenant building in place,also the rumour is helijet can;t get the a/c they bid on what services will rupert get we will just have to wait and see,

I was looking into this about a week ago. BC Ambulance wouldn’t allow me to see Helijet’s contract without filing a freedom of information request which would take months to go through. Nor would they confirm whether or not the contract requires them to have any particular kind of structure to house their aircraft. It has been suggested that they need to have a heated hanger, but I haven’t been able to confirm whether that’s actually the case.

BC Ambulance’s position is essentially that as long as everything follows regulation, it’s up to the company to decide exactly what is needed to run their own operation.

If anyone has some information that could help flush out this story, or is involved in this issue (doesn’t matter what side) and wants to talk on the record give us a call at the Northern View.

Couldn’t VIH tell you what was expected in the contract? They should know the answers, regarding requirements to bid.

I’ve added the link to the Final RFP (Request for Proprosals) that is eventually made into the contract. The RFP is the requirements of the contract, but not the actual contract. The RFP is in the public domain so anyone can review it. Happy reading.

bcbid.gov.bc.ca/open.dll/sho … ypeQual=TN

This was the newspaper article…

vancouversun.com/health/Heli … story.html