A photoshop question

I have some pictures I want to send to a printer. I need to take out some parts of them. How do I ensure I get a 4 x 6 or another size when I crop? Is it only guess work ( try to select a proportional area then copy and paste) or is their a way to adjust the selecting tool so it will copy exactly a standard print size?

i dont have it installed so i cant quit tell you, but isn’t it “canvas size” or “picture size” or something like that, lets you select the size you want, in mm, cm, inches, pixels …

There’s a “adjust image size” function. But that doesn’t help.
I’ll try to explain more clearly what I mean:

I get a digital pic, I select the part I want to send to a photo lab and copy it. I open a new file. Photoshop automatically sets-up the size to fit the copied part. I paste into it and there you go, I have a new picture. The problem is when I select before copying. I don’t have anyway of making sure that what I copy is 4x6 or proportional. So I’ve been using guess work ( I even put a real 4x6 print on my computer screen and select the area under it- and it worked!)
But there should be something better or built in that I am missing.

I would keep the original file open, create a new file and set it to 4 x 6. Then copy all of the original photo and paste it into the new 4 x 6 document, then you can use the move tool and choose which part of the image you want to print. Im sure theres a proper way to do it, but my way works. Or you can just send a photolab the whole picture and tell them which part you want to print.

In photoshop under the “Image” tab, there is a button “Image Size…” then when the window pops up, http://www.geocities.com/wexton2003/screen.JPG there is a width and a length box, if the picture is not already pefect 4x6 scale, you are going to have to unclick the “contrain proportions”, hopefully that helps.

Heh. use the crop tool and set it to 4x6, and anything you highlight will be 4x6.

[quote=“MiG”]
Heh. use the crop tool and set it to 4x6, and anything you highlight will be 4x6.[/quote]

That was so easy. Thanks.

[quote=“BigThumb”]

[quote=“MiG”]
Heh. use the crop tool and set it to 4x6, and anything you highlight will be 4x6.[/quote]

That was so easy. Thanks.[/quote]

Be sure to specify a resolution of at least 200 dpi for printing.

yay for photoshop.