7-11 Speakout

I have a couple of Nokia 1600s and a Cingular Motorola something or other.  These are what are known as “burners” :wink:  You buy them just for the SIM, really. 

So if you ever see a nice GSM phone out there, Dave, you can just swap your Speakout SIM into it. 

Too bad you can’t just buy the Speakout SIMs separately, but with the free phone offer, it’s basically the same thing.

may somebody on here post when the speakout phones are available in Prince Rupert’s 7-11 please?

every time I phone there they don’t even know what I’m talking about :frowning:

For what it’s worth the guy I talked to in there on Wednesday said that he thought they were arriving there next week, he said that they had received some kind of book on them to study before the phones arrived.

But on the other hand the other person I asked a couple of weeks ago had no idea what I was talking about… so…

I dunno, I did try the 7-11 phone thing. And I found I burned through the money way to quick.

It seemed as though as soon as someone phoned me all my minuets were gone. And I rarely talked for long because I was paranoid about it costing too much. I wouldn’t even answer it if someone phoned. I’d text them or call them on a landline. And I figured, “What was the point of that?”

I do text like its going out of style though. So thats probably the root of my problem.

If you’re worried about racking up huge fees then this phone would be good. Except I just kept going to 7-11 to throw on more minuets. It was like $25 bucks ever two weeks. (if I made it that long lol)

Yeah I text a lot.  :astonished:

I gave my 7-11 phone to my 17 year old brother and he’s had some problems with putting minuets on it. I never did but I think he lost out on $25.

I’m not sure how impressed he is with it.

Is there a mobile version of htmf?

NM I’m on it. :smile:

The phones are in!!
Just picked one up paid $112 (incl. tax) for air time, got the phone for free.  It is already pre-programmed with a 250-600-XXXX number.
The clerk said they have " a few in"

I was in yesterday and the clerk said that they were getting more in next week, possibly a better selection so I decided to wait until then.

they sold out already :angry:

So when you add the $100 voucher to you account, then check the balance, what do you have?  The $100 is supposed to give you $125 in airtime, right?

To keep really cheap, don’t check your voicemail from the phone – use a landline.  Otherwise, you’ll pay airtime to check your voicemail.

Yes, that is what we got.

Aw Crap!!!

They should have like a secret password, something like “Mig sent me”, unless you whisper the secret password you don’t get a phone :smiley:

ahh awesome I’ma go get one now!!

Seriously, if you are going to PG or Vancouver, or Terrace even - get the phone there then change the number when you get home.  Very easy to do.

I don’t think there’s a 7-11 in Terrace. 
I tried their online store locator and nothing came up for Terrace. 
Smithers seems to have one though

7-11 terrace was robbed to many times so they closed down a few years back…new speakout phones will be in next week here… Wednesday to be exact.

MIG, if I want to get a different GMS phone all I would need to do is move the SIM card over to the new phone and that would transfer the phone number as well? No calls to speakout etc.?

Yes, it should be just a matter of removing the SIM from your phone (it’s a little card, usually under the battery) and putting in another phone.

The new phone should support the North American GSM frequencies (850 & 1900).  Look for “quad-band” to be sure – these phones should work anywhere.

They need to be unlocked as well – most phones sold in Europe and Asia are unlocked.  Also, 7-11 SIMs will work just fine in locked Rogers phones, but not in locked Fido phones.  Most phones you can buy separately are unlocked though.  For example: 

tigerdirect.ca/applications/ … CatId=1809

Thanks for all the info Mig. I think I’ll switch my dad from his Telus (yeah, it’s ancient) phone to a Speak Out phone.

I guess he can’t port his number since speak out doesn’t support the 624, 627, 622 numbers.

I don’t think you can port out Citywest numbers.  So you’ll have to get a 250-600-xxxx number.