7-11 free phone deal on again

FYI, there’s a new model of phone that looks pretty sweet. It’s the Ecplise model. It’ll run $99. It’s not in stock yet, though. Just in case anyone wants to hold off until it’s in the store.

I’m really considering gettin this phone you’all are so keen on… sounds like a sweet deal. no contracts.
ya I think I’ll get one this weekend. :sunglasses:

There is also a consumer forum on the Speakout in case you want some more independent reviews and info:

www.speakoutwireless.ca

I think that’s the one listed on the Speakout website as the Nokia 2720.

I went to 7-11 yesterday and bought the phone.  I activated today and am thinking PoS because I can’t do any calling because it says no service and can’t receive any calls.  I live on Sloan for info on location and my rogers phone sends and receives right now, and my Citywest sends and receives right now.  Can’t access customer service at 611 and only get busy signals at 1-866 number.  It’s not worth it to have a phone that doesn’t deliver consistant service.  I’m not sure what the options are but I was going to buy for each of the kids but if it’s not reliable what’s the point.  I hate Citywest service btw and as soon as the contract is done I’m out of that one.  Drops calls all the time.  With the free $59 phone the sound is very tinny and tiny.  Rogers seems to be the more reliable compared to the others.  I like the pay as you go - no sign up function and I thought Speakout would be better because of the more competitive airtime rate but right now I’m not so sure.

The 7-11 phone will be using the Rogers network, so it’s not a matter of coverage or reception, assuming that your Rogers phone is working fine… sounds like there may be a hardware or configuration problem with that particular phone.

Walkalong,

I agree with Eso, I think you’ve probably got some hardware issue with your phone.  I’ve got a Rogers phone and it works satisfactorily here on Sloan.  I’ve found that the cell signal here on Sloan (Rogers network) is much weaker than downtown.

Just take it back to 7-11 and ask them about it.

I have a couple of them and they work just fine.

Let us know the outcome when you’ve returned the phone, I too was going to buy .
Is there a service issue with these phones? and some are having signal issues in some parts of town… hmmmmmmm.  has anyone used these types of phones out of town/

I agree that you may have a problem with the phone and not the service.  Mine works fine at all times.  My daughter’s friend has a Speakout phone too and she lives on Sloan and doesn’t have any issues with it.

Do me a favor before you go back to the store with it. go online and find the customer service line, I find the people in seven eleven, (no offence to them, I used to work there) don’t know much about the phone service, and I’m betting that, unless you want to give the phone back, they will tell you to do the same thing.

It’s why, even through all of the problems and call drops, I will stay with citywest. I like to be able to talk to a person, in person, not over the phone or to a voicemail.

Try 1-866-310-1023. See what they have to say.

Turn the phone off, than on again. That do it?

I wanna know if this phone can be used while away on holidays down on Van. Island.
I’m assuming it should… does it matter, usage out of your own area ?  :neutral_face:

It runs off the rogers network… Wherever the rogers network is, your phone will work.

Yep.  My Rogers phone works here, down south, everywhere.

thanks…

Anyone peep the shelves at the Prince Rupert 7-11 recently? Do they have the 2720 in stock?

Yes, you can use it there.  If you bought the phone here or anywhere else within the 250 you won’t be charged long distance rates as any call within the same area code is a local call

From the Speakout website FAQ:
"Are all numbers in my area code considered a local call?

Yes. SpeakOut Wireless offers a larger calling area than traditional Wireless service providers. In fact, many areas in your province are considered a local call. See the current SpeakOut Rates."

I just called 7-eleven and they get the phones in every Wed. and Thurs.Offer ends Dec 31/09. She quoted me the prices etc. and all I want is to make a quick call…no texting no bells and whistles. Just cause the cheapest phone is $ 59.00 does not mean the quality is compromised right? thanks for your info  jees…

I just got one of those phones for my wife the free 1661, its a nice little phone