5 things not to miss in Prince Rupert (Vancouver Sun) Via edmonton Journal

Five things not to miss in Prince Rupert

By Elaine Yong, Vancouver Sun; Canwest News ServiceAugust 22, 2009

Even the locals admit it rains a lot in Prince Rupert. After all, the city of 13,000 comes by its moniker of “Rainiest City in Canada” honestly --it averages 2,500 millimetres of precipitation every year.

But don’t let a little bit of wet stuff stop you from visiting this charming community. - Get back to nature. Prince Rupert offers the most easily accessible grizzly bear-viewing opportunities. A two-hour boat ride takes you to the Khutzeymateen, the only grizzly sanctuary in Canada. About 50 bears live here. I saw five bears in two hours and the guide on board my Prince Rupert Adventure Tours boat told me they had only one trip in 2008 with no grizzly sightings. If you aren’t there during bear season, which is May to July, go whale-watching instead. Locals say it’s the best whale-watching in B. C. because it’s quite common to witness humpbacks bubble feeding.

www.adventuretours.net - Explore a little bit of history. The North Pacific Cannery, on the banks of an estuary of the Skeena River near Port Edward is the oldest intact fish cannery on the West Coast of North America.

The National Historic Site is a rambling collection of crumbling wooden buildings on piles, all connected by a boardwalk. Take a tour of the main cannery building, a must for history buffs. A bus from Prince Rupert to the cannery, 20 kilometres southeast, takes about 40 minutes.

www.cannery.ca - Immerse yourself in First Nations culture. First Nations have lived in this area for thousands of years. Prince Rupert is the traditional territory of the Tsimshian, who now make up more than half the city’s population.

The rich history and culture of the northwest first nations is on display at the Museum of Northern B. C., a striking longhouse-style building right in the heart of the downtown waterfront. The museum also leads walking tours around town for$2.

For further exploration, take a guided tour of Pike Island, home to several archeological sites, including petroglyphs along the beach. Seashore Charters uses tour leaders of Tsimshian ancestry.

www.museumofnorthernbc.comwww.seashorecharters.com - Take an independent walking tour. The great thing about Prince Rupert’s compact downtown is its walkability. Hit charming Cow Bay first.

What used to be an industrial hub of activity for the fishing industry has been transformed into a picturesque cluster of shops, cafes and restaurants. Pick up some Indian candy or fresh halibut (packed for travel) at Dolly’s, shop for funky B. C.-made souvenirs at Homework, and stop for a coffee break at Cowpuccino’s.Then head to the historic downtown core for more browsing–look out for the city’s totem poles along the way. Some of the buildings on Second Avenue are original, dating back to 1911. If you’re here during Seafest, the biggest annual event in the city, make time for the parade. - Indulge in fresh seafood. You can’t leave Prince Rupert before indulging in halibut at least once. You can have it fish-and-chips style at a local greasy spoon, or in a delicious smoked pate at Rain Dining Lounge. Don’t forget the fantastic, fresh creations of Adrienne Johnston of the Cow Bay Cafe.

The evening I dined there, the Skeena River spring salmon was perfectly cooked, simply garnished so the taste of the fish shone through. Johnston has no set menu, she cooks what is in season and available.

Go to www.tourismprincerupert.comfor help planning your trip to Prince Rupert.

Wow, its so bad. The places they always name in tourism stories about Prince Rupert are always the places I never go to. I’ve always wanted to eat at the Cow Bay Cafe, never seem to find myself there, though.

It’s really good food. I hadn’t gone there ever, until this year. And I’m a local so don’t feel bad.

It put’s a smile on my face to read that. :smile:

The writer’s review of Cow Bay Cafe is accurate, BakerWriter!  Cow Bay Cafe is an exceptional restaurant.  You won’t be disappointed.

Lived for 5 wonderful years in Prince Rupert.  Clean air, awesome fishing, great friends.  Like living in Nature’s Cathedral.
Cannot understand the reason for Rupertites being so down on themselves.
Ms. Johnson is an awesome chef.

When were you living here?  Things have changed immensely…And unfortuntely most of it not all for the good.

Left Rupert in Dec 06 for the lower mainland.

Cool. It’s now my mission to do so. Hmm…

Then sadly you would be quite disapponted.  One of our posters, for example, counted the number of empty, for rent, sale, up for lease stores on 3rd. Ave. alone, 27, so this should give some indication of the economic situation here.  It.s not good but then I suppose it is a matter of each individuals perspective. Some like it here, some hate it !!

Regretfully, a reason for my decision to leave Prince Rupert was my perception of a failure of leadership in the community.  Resisters to Change far outweighed Champions of Change, and Rupert will remain stuck in the economic morass until this changes.

Your perception is dead on and the Council and Mayor who sit in their little chairs are not classed as Champions of Change, for sure. Many people are speaking of moving out or are on the way already.

Cow Bay Cafe, Rain, and Smiles have all been cited in recent editions of the definitive guide “Where to Eat in Canada”. Three listings is unusual for a town this size. Many places this size or larger, eg Prince George, have fewer or no listings. Food for thought.

I think that the poll on the ‘fast food restaurants’ thread should have a ‘none of the above’ option.

I understand why Cow Bay Cafe was cited but I remember a few weeks ago we had posts on regarding Smiles and Rain and the recommendation for both was “PASS”…I have only been to Smiles once and the batter was soggy, fish was undercooked and the fries were pale and raw.  I long for the Green Apple, now there was fish and chips !!

[quote=“codybear933”]
  I understand why Cow Bay Cafe was cited but I remember a few weeks ago we had posts on regarding Smiles and Rain and the recommendation for both was “PASS”…[/quote]

That would not surprise me. “Where to Eat in Canada” is revised every year (39 editions apparently). Smiles was listed for many years, but the last edition I saw (which may not have been the latest) listed Cow Bay Cafe and Rain. Point is, whatever its other woes Rupert has done remarkably well in the cafe/restaurant reviews. I think that Smiles lost a lot of its character when tv’s visible from every angle, permanently tuned to sports channels, were installed. Cow Bay Cafe has been consistent both in quality and atmosphere since it first opened.

Now that the management of Peglegs has switched over the food there is actually really quite good :smile: And much more in the budget than Rain! They’re one of the few places in town open late every day of the week now too

Yes, I like the new Peglegs, and I hope they do well.

The only gripe I’ve had with Peglegs of late has been their new outside sign.  It has a person hanging in a basket.  I don’t think that’s the greatest depiction of something people want to be looking at as they walk in the door of an eatery.

It is some what of a famous picture. That is Captain Kidd after his execution, in a device called a gibbet, I believe. Hung there as a deterrent to all those that would follow that particular career path.

W O W

And all this time I thought it was Herb!