30,000 pigs

I love it! languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=2951

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/76069/dynamic/2011/02/correction.jpg

30,000 pigs. How many angry birds is that?

While I love the word play, I question the story. I am not sure if a pig farmer would refer to sows and pigs as if they were different. But unless he was purposely trying to confuse the poor reporter, he more likely would have said “pigs” or “sows and boars”. I just don’t see him saying sows and pigs.

That’s like saying mares and horses, hens and chickens, or women and humans.

No he said 30 sows and pigs and was misheard as 30 thousand pigs…
1 sows and
2 sows and
3 sows and
ready or not here i come…

Quick!!! Somebody send it to Letterman!!

[quote=“DWhite”]While I love the word play, I question the story. I am not sure if a pig farmer would refer to sows and pigs as if they were different. But unless he was purposely trying to confuse the poor reporter, he more likely would have said “pigs” or “sows and boars”. I just don’t see him saying sows and pigs.

That’s like saying mares and horses, hens and chickens, or women and humans.[/quote]

I think it’s another example where North American English probably differs … The linkmakes the claim that a farmer would probably use very precise language. In this case pig isn’t the species name, but refers to a young member of the species. So like hens and chicks in your analogy, and the reporter not knowing the difference between chicks and chickens.

Of my 15 - count em - 15 friends on facebook, one of them happens to the daughter of my wife’s cousin in Ireland. She just happened to be online just now and I checked with her. She grew up on a sheep farm so I give her credibility.

She said British farmers often refer to piglets as pigs. But she did add that the average litter is 15 so there probably weren’t many sows in the river and certainly no boars.

I don’t know why, but I’m reminded of this:

When we first moved here we had a hobby farm. I bought a couple weaner pigs to fatten and the kids wanted to know why I got pigs you can only make hot dogs out of…