29 containers destined for Rupert lost at sea

Over the weekend, extreme weather in the Gulf of Alaska caused 29 containers to fall overboard of a vessel, which was on its way to Prince Rupert’s port.

thenorthernview.com/news/138009168.html

[quote=“TheNorthernView”]Over the weekend, extreme weather in the Gulf of Alaska caused 29 containers to fall overboard of a vessel, which was on its way to Prince Rupert’s port.

thenorthernview.com/news/138009168.html[/quote]

Oh, I’ll wager “FIELDS” isn’t going to be too happy! lol

I Doubt that very few or no containers, that are unloaded at the Fairview terminal are actually destined for Prince Rupert. 99% are immediately loaded onto railcars and the remaining are trucked out

Oh No
King crabs dressed in dollar store fashions…

Some Pictures

Wow … that must have been quite the ride on that ship! Does this sort of thing happen often due to weather or did the cables snap? Lucky that shipped didn’t get flipped by the looks of things, thanks for posting the pics.

first time we have had one in with this amount of damage . been a couple cans before. they arent held in by cables it is steel bars that hook into the pockets on the bottom of the cans and tightened together with buckles. the bars are loose quite often from taken the voyage across. we tighten them when we put them on but as far as them checking on them to see if they are tight thru the voyage i cant say if they do

More Pictures from container ship at Fairview

here are some different angles . I must say our maintenance crews , crane operators and dock men and woman did an outstanding job of clearing away all the damaged cargo .Crews are working at unlocking the stackers that hold the cans together on the deck.
These are shots from the lumber salvage job we did earlier this year. Enjoy! CM

Very professionally done and thanks for posting the photos Craneman. Love seeing the “news” from down there at the Port.

But Enbridge assures us there will be no problems with the oil tankers. So I guess it will all be good.

we’re importing processed lumber? I assume thats from raw logs we exported?

To clear things up, when we speak of salvage it usually refers to a cargo ship that has had its load damaged at sea. Mostly due to bad weather , hi seas wind etc. In the case of the lumber, which was loaded in Vancouver BC. And destined for Asia. We unloaded the damaged parts and longshoremen piled all the broken packs of lumber and then loaded it back on the ship.

As for the container ship they were in a storm for a whole day. According to the crew it was the worst weather they were ever in. Things coming loose in the engine room and also other parts of the deck load coming loose. It is not uncommon for containers ships to loose deck cargo in bad weather.

I hope this clears the sea for you so to speak!!!

[quote=“craneman”]To clear things up, when we speak of salvage it usually refers to a cargo ship that has had its load damaged at sea. Mostly due to bad weather , hi seas wind etc. In the case of the lumber, which was loaded in Vancouver BC. And destined for Asia. We unloaded the damaged parts and longshoremen piled all the broken packs of lumber and then loaded it back on the ship.

As for the container ship they were in a storm for a whole day. According to the crew it was the worst weather they were ever in. Things coming loose in the engine room and also other parts of the deck load coming loose. It is not uncommon for containers ships to loose deck cargo in bad weather.

I hope this clears the sea for you so to speak!!![/quote]

Good to know. Thanks.