2005 BC election

I share the same concern as many which is when the time comes for the Provincial government to choose between supporting either Vancouver or Prince Rupert the Liberal majority will look and see that they were voted in by Vancouver and not the North Coast.

thank you

The thing that got me was the quote from BCTV, I think it was, when they commented on how our riding voted, and they said it was like “Thanks, but no thanks” for the port deal, etc. That was pretty harsh and hard to take, because in a sense it was true. But when someone outside of our region looks at it like that, it seems worse.

I’ll bet Bill Belsey leaves Prince Rupert before CN or Maher terminals does.

Why would you think that CN and/or Maher Terminals would be leaving Rupert?

They won’t. That’s the point.

Anyone who truely thinks that we got the port deal solely because it was “good for Rupert” has thier head up thier arses. The Liberals don’t care about the North. They’ve proven time and time again all they care about is taking from us. The port deal went through because once again it sets up an industry that the Provincial and Federal governments can milk taxes from to the end of time. People have been trying for over 10 years to get a container port started here. Why now? Gee… could it have to do with them not having any other choice? Vancouver is maxed out and we have a port waiting and ready to be developed.

Does anyone really think that there was some meeting or group of meetings where the Liberals sat down and said: “Rupert voted Liberal, lets help them out.” Thats almost as silly as thinking that some opportunity is going to pass over Gordon Campbells desk where he thinks “Rupert voted NDP. Screw em”

Sure I sound cynical, but no more so than the people who “worry” that just because we didn’t vote with the current government that we’re going to be forgotten.

Mike

:unamused: My signature says it, to the tee. I am a person at large who is giving MR. Coons direction as to what is needed in this riding & I am encouraged by his ability to grasp reality and work for the good of the people. Truth about Belsey is that he does not exist in this Kalpa, so why bother your mind? Actively work to create something good & waste not upon what is gone or what could have been.
Peoples, get your head arround the important fact, you exist to be of service, not to take; create, not to destroy; love, not to hate. Go Take A Good Long Look & See if you can see the BIG PICTURE, let alone FEEL it!

If you are in fact someone who is giving our MLA direction why the anonymity?? I am one of the many who voted for Belsey. The Liberal Govt helped give us in this riding some promise and hope. The NDP helped to take that away during their last tenure. Say what you will about the Liberals…they gave back more to this riding than the NDP ever did.

If this is how you truly feel then can I get you to mow my lawn??

[quote=“fingahz”]

If you are in fact someone who is giving our MLA direction why the anonymity?? I am one of the many who voted for Belsey. The Liberal Govt helped give us in this riding some promise and hope. The NDP helped to take that away during their last tenure. Say what you will about the Liberals…they gave back more to this riding than the NDP ever did. [/quote]

And what exactly did the Liberals help with, and give back?

The Liberal Government worked extremely hard to help ensure that New Skeena/Repap/Skeena Cell/Sun Wave re-opens. Although this is not a certainty yet the effort was put forth nonetheless by Bill Belsey and the Liberals.

In addition to that effort, the Liberal Govt helped to bring to Prince Rupert one of the most exciting economic opportunities in this country let alone BC, the container port. The fruits of this labour will not be seen for some time yet but when it does you can give the BC Liberals and huge pat on the back as well as the Port Authority staff and Federal and Municipal govts.

The BC Liberal Govt has also had excellent relations with Albertas provincial government which has solidified grain shipments and produced opportunities with Natural Gas pipelines coming to Kitimat and Rupert. Ralph Klein said himself that this would not have happened under and NDP govt.

Increased mining and mineral exploration has helped to stabilize Ridley Coal which was near dead as the last NDP govt left office. Not to mention the re-birth of Stewart as a progressive mining town

What did the Harcourt/Clark years leave us?? Every indusrty that feeds this city was in shambles. Forestry, Grain, Coal, Tourism and Fishing. All of those are rebounding with the exception of Fishing which is more or less a Federal issue. Belsey and the Liberals helped revive four out of the five aforementioned industires and are helping to give us more…Containers and a Natural Gas offloading facility. Prince Rupert fought a hard battle the last few years and now things are turning around with alot of credit due to Bill Belsey and the Liberals. The Kemano Completion Project was killed by the NDP due to outrage in the south and to buy votes contrary to what the BC Utilities Commission recommended.

When Industry suffers, small businesses and families suffer. When Industry thrives so do the rest of us. It causes a domino effect in a positive way throughout. All of the issues such as health care and environment can be looked after better as well when Industry is thriving because more tax dollars are being taken in.

I am extremely surprised that an NDP candidate was elected in this riding again. Nothing personal at all intended towards Mr Coons. After all the years of heartache in this city we slapped the governing body that helped us out right in the face.

Do I like everything that the BC Liberals have done throughout their time in office?? Hell no!! But they sure have got the boat turned in the right direction.

:unamused: :confused: :open_mouth: the Question about the cutting of Grass, impliess a very geedy demand for no recompence offered nor implied for such service. This poor karma leads to unethicall practices in … life!
In other words, hay, cowboy, ya just shot yourself in the foot. It never ceases to amaize me, you let someone talk long enough about something and this sort of thing happens eventually. Movie I SAW as Teener, W/ Spencer Tracy “ITS a Mad,Mad, Mad, Mad World” should be a training film.

But seriously, I lost a valuable book early this year in a pack that was stolen while going for a second bowl of soup at the soup kitchen not more than 15 ft away. This book is worth $50 to the libruary, but lack of funds means no libruary privliages.I am well read but starving now.
This BOOK is < Novice to Master; An ongoing lesson in the extent of my own Stupidity!>
Another BOOK that should be in every school, & I do mean every, would be “Chop Wood, Carry Water”. I would like someone give a disertation on this one, so that it is not just one hand claping!

Guess WHO? Contest: Someone locally responded to the use of Dr. David Susuki as a refference point for a subject topic W/ “Oh! That Idiot!” Worse yet it was repeated! See What I Mean? Shoot Foot!
No Instructions required---- Self- Launching Program.

[quote=“fingahz”]The Liberal Government worked extremely hard to help ensure that New Skeena/Repap/Skeena Cell/Sun Wave re-opens. Although this is not a certainty yet the effort was put forth nonetheless by Bill Belsey and the Liberals.

In addition to that effort, the Liberal Govt helped to bring to Prince Rupert one of the most exciting economic opportunities in this country let alone BC, the container port. The fruits of this labour will not be seen for some time yet but when it does you can give the BC Liberals and huge pat on the back as well as the Port Authority staff and Federal and Municipal govts.

The BC Liberal Govt has also had excellent relations with Albertas provincial government which has solidified grain shipments and produced opportunities with Natural Gas pipelines coming to Kitimat and Rupert. Ralph Klein said himself that this would not have happened under and NDP govt.

Increased mining and mineral exploration has helped to stabilize Ridley Coal which was near dead as the last NDP govt left office. Not to mention the re-birth of Stewart as a progressive mining town

What did the Harcourt/Clark years leave us?? Every indusrty that feeds this city was in shambles. Forestry, Grain, Coal, Tourism and Fishing. All of those are rebounding with the exception of Fishing which is more or less a Federal issue. Belsey and the Liberals helped revive four out of the five aforementioned industires and are helping to give us more…Containers and a Natural Gas offloading facility. Prince Rupert fought a hard battle the last few years and now things are turning around with alot of credit due to Bill Belsey and the Liberals. The Kemano Completion Project was killed by the NDP due to outrage in the south and to buy votes contrary to what the BC Utilities Commission recommended.

When Industry suffers, small businesses and families suffer. When Industry thrives so do the rest of us. It causes a domino effect in a positive way throughout. All of the issues such as health care and environment can be looked after better as well when Industry is thriving because more tax dollars are being taken in.

I am extremely surprised that an NDP candidate was elected in this riding again. Nothing personal at all intended towards Mr Coons. After all the years of heartache in this city we slapped the governing body that helped us out right in the face.

Do I like everything that the BC Liberals have done throughout their time in office?? Hell no!! But they sure have got the boat turned in the right direction.[/quote]

:laughing: :unamused: and what other place were they going to put a much needed container port? this has been waiting to happen for years. By the way more tax dollars taken in? from who business? or us… surely it wont be business.

[quote=“anonymouse”]:roll: :confused: :open_mouth: the Question about the cutting of Grass, impliess a very geedy demand for no recompence offered nor implied for such service. This poor karma leads to unethicall practices in … life!
In other words, hay, cowboy, ya just shot yourself in the foot. It never ceases to amaize me, you let someone talk long enough about something and this sort of thing happens eventually. Movie I SAW as Teener, W/ Spencer Tracy “ITS a Mad,Mad, Mad, Mad World” should be a training film.

But seriously, I lost a valuable book early this year in a pack that was stolen while going for a second bowl of soup at the soup kitchen not more than 15 ft away. This book is worth $50 to the libruary, but lack of funds means no libruary privliages.I am well read but starving now.
This BOOK is < Novice to Master; An ongoing lesson in the extent of my own Stupidity!>
Another BOOK that should be in every school, & I do mean every, would be “Chop Wood, Carry Water”. I would like someone give a disertation on this one, so that it is not just one hand claping!

Guess WHO? Contest: Someone locally responded to the use of Dr. David Susuki as a refference point for a subject topic W/ “Oh! That Idiot!” Worse yet it was repeated! See What I Mean? Shoot Foot!
No Instructions required---- Self- Launching Program.[/quote]

Man, I have no idea what you are saying.

jesus wrote:

Even if this is the case can you credit the NDP?? I don’t think so.

My point in regards to taxation is that Industry provides tax revenue. Just look at the pulp mill when it was running. You take that away and look, everything goes down the crapper. Industry provides jobs, which put money not only into the pockets of the employees but back into the community. Small businesses thrive, home are built, businesses open and they all pay taxes. The Industry acts as a springboard for the economy.

Eso wrote:

[quote]
Man, I have no idea what you are saying.[/quote]

That makes two of us

where else? kitimat? bella coola? Hell they might have put it in Kitsault and tried to ‘save’ that town, too.
Not that I’m hostile to the NDP, it’s just that the Liberal’s business acumen is so much better it’s almost measurable. But that’s all it took to make people with money feel like using it…