11 year old tasered in Prince George

An 11 year old boy apparently tasered by Prince George RCMP because he was holding a knife after stabbing a 37 year old man?. I do not care what the circumstances were there is absolutely no excuse or reason for this to have happened. When is enough enough? If Law enforcement officers, and RCMP don’t have the skills and abilities to deal with an 11 year old then they have no business being in this position.

The RCMP have to select and train their officers better and give them the necessary skills to deal with everyday shit like this without resorting to tasering and shooting people except in very extreme circumstances, they do this far too often and far too easily. These actions are reprehensible and inexcusable, and the officers responsible need to be held accountable.

The RCMP have lowered the bar so far in order to allow more ‘diversity’ etc. etc. within their ranks, and all the other 'politcally correct bullshit, that many of their members no longer have the attributes necessary to be effective, this job is clearly not for everyone, you are police officers for fuck sake, start acting like it. If you can’t do the job, chose another career.

The people need to demand a public inquiry and review of the RCMP, and they need to make some serious changes as they are very quickly becoming a fucking joke and have lost the respect and confidence of the public as a direct result of their actions.

vancouversun.com/news/Prince … story.html

Wait wait…I am still hung up on the part where an 11 year old STABBED an adult!!

chaos,

I don’t know, man. Of course there will be a review of this incident, but, I think the RCMP needed to very quickly stop the 11 year old particularly since he had stabbed someone. You can’t really expect them to try to talk him down when he has already hurt someone. I am not being an RCMP apologist by the way. I’ll be curious to hear what the investigation into the incident concludes.

Sorry, but an 11 year old holding a knife after stabbing an adult is no longer an 11 year old. They are a threat and a candidate for use of non-lethal force.

I disagree with officers putting their lives on the line by having their hands tied in moments where their lives are at risk. If the child had dropped the knife, but still remained remainder combative - well yes, then tasering would be unacceptable. Armed persons need to be treated as armed persons regardless of age. I’ve seen some very violent 14 yr olds in my life. If you haven’t been in a 1 on 1 with a violent youth, you wouldn’t understand. And, RCMP are not permitted to “run away.”

So if this 11 year old who had just stabbed someone else was heading towards YOU would you prefer the RCMP try to talk him out of stabbing you, or shoot him right then and there, or deal with the situation immediately so NO ONE gets killed? Think of how many lives the tazers have SAVED over the years (criminals, police officers, and the general public). If it weren’t for tazers a lot more of these criminals would be shot dead instead! They should be thankful ONLY a tazer was used!

The 11 yrs. old who stabbed the 37 yrs. old may have had reason to stab him. Was the 37yrs. an abuser , was he a diddler ? Was the child,s mom being abused in any way ? I think these are important questions when looking into this situation. I think the RCMP should be accompanied by a trained councillor and was the officer just out of Regina ? The RCMP Officer could have held off with the taser , maybe the young lad was scared shittless after dealing with the 37yrs. old male.

Regardless of the reason for the stabbing, officers might have tasered to protect themselves or the 11-year-old from himself.

I have to wonder before the advent of this “secondary” form of law enforcement or defense, what would the officers have done to diffuse the situation? It seems they do lack the necessary skills and resort to the easiest method possible. I don’t know either as we aren’t aware of the circumstances but sometimes progress with technology is not always a positive. People in this position should have the basic, shall I say, even “old days” ways of handling situations. We hear of this happening far too often.

"I have to wonder before the advent of this “secondary” form of law enforcement or defense, what would the officers have done to diffuse the situation? "

If the boy was approaching the officers with a knife in his hand the officers would have shot the boy with their firearm.

Regardless of why the youngster stabbed the man, in case the taser worked as it should - infinitly better than a bullet.

I’ll wait for more details.

Like someone else has said, if they didn’t have a taser the kid might have been shot.

At the end of the day a cop’s biggest concern shouldn’t be making sure a kid who stabbed a fully grown man doesn’t get too hurt, it should be making sure that the cop him or herself gets home safe.

That’s a LOT of maybe’s you’re using to form your opinion. Let’s flip that around:

The 11 yrs. old who stabbed the 37 yrs. old may have had no reason to stab him. Maybe the RCMP Officer did hold off with the taser , maybe the young lad didn’t drop the knife when told to do so. Maybe the 11 year old tried to stab the officer or someone else?

Let’s not jump to conclusions that this is yet another RCMP scandal. Nobody likes the thought of an 11 year old being tasered. It sure would be nice if we lived in Magical Christmas land where the RCMP could travel with counselors. Hell, if we’re asking for that, then we should add world peace to the list too.

There just aren’t enough details to form an unbiased opinion.

And maybe the 11-yr-old looked much older…

It doesn’t matter. Old or young, if you’re threatening a police officer, they have the right to use lethal force. If there wasn’t a such thing as a taser, you’d be dealing with a dead, or severely injured 11 year old. Imagine how much speculation there would be after that. :wink:

That’s a LOT of maybe’s you’re using to form your opinion. Let’s flip that around:

These are not my opinion , they are questions that may have to be looked at through an investigation . Also could be protocols which may have to be studied and put in place.

Dont think sending that boy on a timeout was going to work whilst he was stabbing the man. Were they to say,hey kid,does that man deserve to be stabbed,if so plz carry on. The police have done many many wrong things to be sure, but they tasered him,not beat the shit out of him after he was complying with the officer. I think it must have been Prince Rupert city council to fault,dont you? Scary to think who councils our children these days.

bclocalnews.com/news/119531064.html

According to preliminary reports, the victim was already en route to hospital, and the child was tasered as he emerged from a “nearby neighbouring property.”

Of course more details are needed, but it’s not like the kid was still a threat to the victim. Police maybe… the report doesn’t say much.

[quote=“chaos”]An 11 year old boy apparently tasered by Prince George RCMP because he was holding a knife after stabbing a 37 year old man?. I do not care what the circumstances were there is absolutely no excuse or reason for this to have happened. When is enough enough? If Law enforcement officers, and RCMP don’t have the skills and abilities to deal with an 11 year old then they have no business being in this position.

The RCMP have to select and train their officers better and give them the necessary skills to deal with everyday shit like this without resorting to tasering and shooting people except in very extreme circumstances, they do this far too often and far too easily. These actions are reprehensible and inexcusable, and the officers responsible need to be held accountable.

The RCMP have lowered the bar so far in order to allow more ‘diversity’ etc. etc. within their ranks, and all the other 'politcally correct bullshit, that many of their members no longer have the attributes necessary to be effective, this job is clearly not for everyone, you are police officers for fuck sake, start acting like it. If you can’t do the job, chose another career.

The people need to demand a public inquiry and review of the RCMP, and they need to make some serious changes as they are very quickly becoming a fucking joke and have lost the respect and confidence of the public as a direct result of their actions.

vancouversun.com/news/Prince … story.html[/quote]

No where does it say that the boy was holding a knife when tasered. The police are not releasing information at this point. The boy was was living in a group home stabbed someone there then hid in a neighboring property when he came out he was tasered. Other than that I agree with the rest of your post

There is absolutely no doubt that being in law enforcement is a very difficult job, like I said, this requires very specific attributes and skills that many members of the RCMP and many other law enforcement agencies clearly do not possess. The RCMP have been far too relaxed in selection of candidates and training of members, this results in many of those in uniform being ill suited to this profession, this is not just ‘another job’, This is the kind of shit they must expect to deal with every day, they are always dealing with people in the worst situations.

A properly trained officer has many other tools and techniques at their disposal than tasers and firearms, sadly many are simply lacking in a combination of skills, training, or experience to properly use these effectively. They carry with them on their duty belts both pepper spray, and asp batons, they are supposed to be trained in verbal and physical intervention techniques, yet very seldom use them, because most lack the training and confidence necessary to use them effectively, Yet according to their own intervention management model there are clearly many other better choices in many situations, yet they skip over these and resort to the easier choice, tasers, or firearms.

The main point of my post was that the public needs a better avenue for impartial redress, inquiry and investigation, in situations of alleged wrong doing, deaths, etc. ( not another police agency )
RCMP members need to be held more accountable to the public when shit like this happens. Also the RCMP should review it’s initial training process and be far more stringent in the selection of potential candidates for members, and provide better regular and ongoing training. Many recent events and police actions are ruining a long standing reputation and public confidence.

There is a reason that back in the day they had a minimum physical requirement for applicants to become members, it is a simple fact that an officer who is six feet tall and is two hundred plus pounds, just might be a little bit more effective in a physical altercation than someone who is five foot four and barely one hundred and forty pounds. And they need to have the necessary skills and training when shit happens, like lets say having to subdue an eleven year old for example.

I believe they have lowered the bar and their standards too far in order to achieve ‘employment equity goals’ and by doing this have seriously compromised their own traditions, integrity, reputation and effectiveness as Canada’s national law enforcement agency. I say fuck political correctness, certain standards exist for good reason, don’t compromise competence.

I agree with what you are saying chaos. I just wanted to point out to the people who support the police action in this case that we do not have any details on why the cop tasered this child.