YPR ramp concerns

Has anybody flying in or out of YPR wondered why that ramp that was donated by the citizens of Prince Rupert, Port Edward and supporters of the Prince Rupert Regional Community Foundation’s fundraising dinners stopped being used?

I asked at the airport, and was told ACJ’s (or whatever they are this week) pilots didn’t like it. so, I continued to limp along to get my baggage, then limp a little further to give it to my bus driver, limping onto that bus. All the while, I hoped that no ACJ pilots were getting on the bus, just in case the bus wasn’t their colour of choice.

Maybe the Founndation could move it to a place where it will be used as it depreciates.

Truth or Prince Rumour?

All I know is tha a person in an ACJ uniform told me that the pilots laid down the law.

PS It seems no pilots, even the ACJ ones that occasionally fly through YPR have a problem using the ramp at Terrace Airport. Had to fly there one day because of the lack of flights in/outnof YPR. Go figure.

I think the ramp is great also but ive bin through the terrace/vancouver airport a few times and i have not seen them use the ramp well with the exception of when the stanley cup came through Terrace but i believe it is used for people that have mobilty problems or on wheel chair but i believe you have to request it if you are unable to walk the steps into the aircraft.
I have heard it cost a bit of money for it but from my understanding it was to replace that other contraption that was used for passengers with mobilty problems ad were unable to walk up the aircraft stairs.

When I flew to Vancouver, I did ask for it. My wife and I were told it wasn’t available. When I got to Vancouver, a golf cart driver met us at the Gate and took us to get our baggage. I found that strange, but was grateful for the YVR staff’s efficiency and empathy. No pilots were involved, or hurt in that process, either.

Why would the pilots not like the ramp? Maybe I am slow but why?

couple of issues at play here…
that contraption is a pain in the ass to move around…and it costs time when the aircraft is on a tight schedule…AND when used by idiots can damage aircraft…wgich then pisses pilots off when the can fly to homebase aka Vancouver.

there was once a standing order that any acj landing that the ramp was to be utilized…much to the disgrin of ramp workers and local acj staff////then the pilots said nope…don’t use…only when wheel chair people need it…

its 4 steps!!! climb the four steps and quit whining…a golf cart from the aircraft to your baggage?..what does acj charge for that service?..if they don’t they will be very soon…

thanks for that …

The golf cart thing is used to and from the gates and is common although i never seen it at that lower level that jazz flights use at yvr… its a free service for those with mobility issues…

Yes use the dam stairs other wise… I hit my head on the aircraft the first time I used it … lol

The Dash-8 isn’t really that bad to hop on. I mean, look at other smaller commuter aircrafts like the BAe Jetstream: 2x as bad to climb on, plus a tripping hazard at the middle of the unlighted aisle, and above all, it’s a horrid British aircraft.

Being Air Canada, I don’t think they have much more to lose.

[quote=“mcsash”]couple of issues at play here…
that contraption is a pain in the ass to move around…and it costs time when the aircraft is on a tight schedule…AND when used by idiots can damage aircraft…wgich then pisses pilots off when the can fly to homebase aka Vancouver.

there was once a standing order that any acj landing that the ramp was to be utilized…much to the disgrin of ramp workers and local acj staff////then the pilots said nope…don’t use…only when wheel chair people need it…

its 4 steps!!! climb the four steps and quit whining…a golf cart from the aircraft to your baggage?..what does acj charge for that service?..if they don’t they will be very soon…[/quote]

Funny that the same “contraption” is used regularly in Terrace by their ground crews, and the same pilots don’t seem to mind it there. As for your ignorant comment about ‘4 stairs’, you try navigating 4 stairs before or after a knee/hip replacement or any other type of disability. You sound like the type of person that laughs, takes pictures, but doesn’t help somebody that slips on a banana peel. Oh, and uploads it, too. It takes 3 minutes in Terrace to use their ramp. It took 3 minutes in Rupert, too. As I said, maybe the Foundation should just move it to an airport that will use it, and those mobility-impaired people can give you more grief for delaying your flight.

[quote=“mcsash”]couple of issues at play here…

its 4 steps!!! climb the four steps and quit whining…a golf cart from the aircraft to your baggage?..what does acj charge for that service?..if they don’t they will be very soon…[/quote]

Hey, have you ever had to try 4 steps with cast and crutches? 4 steps with a new knee or hip and crutches? 4 steps with a wheelchair? And since you seem to be an expert on the subject, If ‘that contraption’ is so difficult to use, why does industry accept it as a regular piece of airport equipment? Are you a struggling equipment operator?

ouch…I wasn’t trying to be an asshole…just comes naturally I suppose…

yes some people are disabled and when needed the passenger ramp was used when directed by acj as a “carry off”…

didn’t mean to offend gonzo…just responding as to your why…

[quote=“mcsash”]ouch…I wasn’t trying to be an asshole…just comes naturally I suppose…

yes some people are disabled and when needed the passenger ramp was used when directed by acj as a “carry off”…

didn’t mean to offend gonzo…just responding as to your why…[/quote]

Sorry, I over-reacted too. But, I’ve been through it a couple of times, yet Hawkair uses it when I get to fly with them.

Sounds to me like your request for a working service which was available to persons with disabilities was refused by Air Canada staff without bona fide and reasonable justification. I believe this violates the B.C. Human Rights Code and the Canadian Human Rights Act. You could make a complaint to the BC Human Rights Tribunal - chrc-ccdp.gc.ca/eng/content/general-public
You can get help with the BC Human Rights Coalition and the Community Legal Assistance Society. 1-877-689-8474 bchrcoalition.org/
Seeking a lawyer is another option.
Good luck and keep us posted

Human Rights? Seriously? That would take them 10 years or more to decide. Easier for me to travel to Terrace and fly out of there, while hobbling up their 3 minute ramp. I can even wave to the same pilots that don’t want it used in Rupert.

It likely would only take a call from the tribunal to Air Canada head office and the problem would be rectified immediately. AC doesn’t like bad publicity. You would have to make a complaint though and it is “Easier” to just do nothing. Its certainly not your responsibility to make it easier for others who have physical disabilities who may encounter your same problem at YPR. Plus the pilots are only trying to make it “Easier” for themselves so no one can really blame you for making it “Easier” for yourself by doing nothing! Good Luck!!!