Yeah Mac!

The old Toshiba A70 made it a whole month after it’s 3rd trip in! On it’s 2nd motherboard and today I unplugged it at work and brought it home and it won’t even start. Just a blink when you hit the on key!
Should have bought 2 so I can swap out the hard-drives and keep working.
I fail to be impressed. Thank God For Mini-Mac !!!

So much for installing mountaintop radios Sunday morning…

Well I managed to grab an HP dirt cheap but the sucker’s got Vista. Ughhh… gotta use it and change network settings 10\x a day. Just burning the recovery DVDs now so I can wipe all the partitions and make it XP-Ubuntu.
Where’s the friggin “DELETE” key on this???

yeargh! It’s a damned French Cdn model

check out this app herbie, it lets ya use several network config’s and change between them with a mouse click, i use it at work all the time its great, called "NetSetMan ". find it at snapfiles.com/Freeware/netwo … twork.html

Hey!  I’m a damned French Cdn model!  ( In my own mind at least!)

So where is your delete key located ? LOL…

Herbie, we have told you many times, buy mac :smile: You should invest in a Macbook, a white one, then use it to run windows, i bet it will out last any of your machines, plus they are fast and more durable. Probably cost you about 1200$ but will last you 5 years,  www.usedmac.com

Next one will be, hopefully I will not need a replacement for work like RFN next time.
Almost all the routers and radios I work on have html interfaces these days.
I got this month old one off a guy who shouldn’t have bought it and everyone else was offering the poor bugger $200 - $300. Gave him $640 and he was happy as a clam. Same model $778 wholesale, wouldn’t have got it til Weds at the earliest.
He even pulled a 512 and put in a 1 GB, which is probably why Vista is slow. It likes matched chips, so I’ll order 2 new 1 Gigs Monday. He even tossed in the old 512.
Should have 2 512-667 SODIMM DDRII and a 1 Gig for sale next week.

ChrisJ - thx. Downloaded it and will give it a workout tomorrow.
Got 3 wireless network configs, 3 static DSL configs, and 3 internal network configs I regularly service.

slick little app huh?

I couldn’t get it to work.
But it was Vista. As soon as I plugged into a hub, it gave a 169 address to the NIC. So I used NetSet to set it back, and it appeared to work. Unless you looked at ipconfig when it didn’t work and discovered it once again said 169.xxx.xxx.xxx (NIC properties said what NEtSet told it to set).
So if I hooked box A to 192.168.0.1 and B to 192.168.0.2 all ok. Soon as you plug them into a hub, you have to give them DIFFERENT IPs… swift… totally swift.

I am not sure I fully understand wtf is happening, if you already have a static ip assigned to the nic and then plug it into a hub the ip changes to the 169...* ?  if yer set to static it shouldnt change at all, if it is the o.s. has gotta be changing it at a different layer, thats fucked if that is whats happening, vista is exerting far too much control.  tell me if I am understanding it right herbie and I’ll see if I can find some info on vista’s ip control and see if there is some work around’s or fixes for that, get back to me and lets see if we can figure this out.

You’re dead on.
The static IP was set, but the instant it was plugged into a hub some part of Vista would not use the IP and decided on its own it was unrecognizable (hence the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx)
Bizarre that ipconfig and NIC properties sheet returned different IPs, isn’t it?

The basic premise to an OS is that if I tell you to be www.xxx.yyy.zzz unless I tell you otherwise! Fucking nonsense.
Can Windows even do shit like be eth0 eth0:0 eth0:1?

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]
You’re dead on.
The static IP was set, but the instant it was plugged into a hub some part of Vista would not use the IP and decided on its own it was unrecognizable (hence the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx)
Bizarre that ipconfig and NIC properties sheet returned different IPs, isn’t it?

The basic premise to an OS is that if I tell you to be www.xxx.yyy.zzz unless I tell you otherwise! Fucking nonsense.
Can Windows even do shit like be eth0 eth0:0 eth0:1?
/quote I have never heard of that before, but its completely retarded, microsoft decides to redefine the term “static” without telling anyone, talk about bullshit. I am sure glad to know this though herbie, I benefit from your pain. I’ll do some reading and see what the story is on how to either disable that or fool it, gimme some time.[/quote]

herbie, is this whats happening to you, maybe yeah? check it out.

support.microsoft.com/kb/926180

there is this too, you should have a look at it also:

support.microsoft.com/kb/929451

No those are even more fucked up things the p.o.s. called Vista does.

When I assign a setting to the NIC, that’s the setting of the NIC I want. When I want it to change, I will tell it to.
If the OS won’t keep it that way the OS is no fucking good. I don’t give a shit why it does what it does, I didn’t tell it to do that.
I want my NIC to be 172.16.2.99, and I don’t give a flying fuck if the the other end of the cable is in a computer, a hub, a router or up Bill Gate’s ass. I don’t want to have to pick a new IP and give it 172.16.2.98 if it plugs into a hub, and 99 if it plugs in direct. That’s total bullshit.
No balloons
No windows requiring my permission
No “discovering” shit without me asking it to
JUST FUCKING DO WHAT IT’S TOLD.
Or am I to assume I can set something up on the repair desk, carry it to the jobsite and have to completely reconfigure it as soon as it plugs into the network, which seems to be the case.
Fuck Vista! Ubuntu with Beryl is 1,000 times better.

sudo apt-get remove M$oft

I agree 100%, that is absolute bullshit, I wont touch that fuking vista now because of it, I too have to work in several different networksthat would be a complete cluster fuck,    at the very least format that p.o.s. and put xp pro on it or that ubuntu, im a bsd bitch myself, I love my command line but i just downloaded ubuntu this aft to give it a test, i have heard nothing but good things about it.

I also like bsd and slack, very good stuff indeed:-)  I’ve got Ubuntu on one of my boxes at home, it is a solid OS.
Debian is also worth a look I think.  It functions just like Ubuntu ( Ubuntu is based on it).  I’ve had a lot of good luck running the latest stable version of Debian 4.0 (Etch).  I usually download the netinstall iso ( about 160 MB) and do a network install. 

http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

I’ve got a couple mail servers running Debian Sarge, a DNS server and ex-NAT box running RH6, one Ubuntu webserver, Fedora 2 webserver, Fedora 4 radius server, Fedora 7 soon-to-be NAT box and a couple Ubuntu boxes in our Internet cafe.
I like how when I’m changing backbones I can say eth0 = www.xxx.yyy.zzz eth0:0 = aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd and plug the old backbone and new into a hub. Then you switch, update the DNS and unplug the old network a couple hours later.

I tried a bright idea the other day, set the TTL in the zone record really low hoping the new address propogated faster. I think it did but I forgot about it. After a week one mailserver started refusing mail from the other: the short TTL flagged it with anti-spam servers as a dial-up based domain and blocked it! Doh! Won’t try that again…

Cool stuff, herbie. :sunglasses:
I’d love to learn more about mail servers and networking.  Maybe I’ll take a networking course one day when I retire.

How low did you put the TTL?

I’ve lowered it on some domains in the past, just when I know a change is coming in the next week or so – so that the change doesn’t take too long to update everywhere…