Xplornet

Does anyone know much about xplornet ???

You mean the satellite internet that’s not particularly fast, very expensive, pushes long term contracts and charges for downloads? The one hoping nobody ever considers bouncing a signal into outer space and back before you hit the Internet only adds to ping time and VoIP lag? That one?

Well thank you for the info on xplornet  that pretty much settles that

If you were running a mining camp, lodge or live somewhere like Germansen Landing, it’s worth considering.

Coincidentally, I just did a bunch of reading about sat Internet providers this morning.

Apparently Hughesnet (xplornet, Direc-Way) is pretty crappy. For the main reason that you have a cap of like 200MB a day or something, and if you go over the limit, they put you on a 24hour cap that’s slower than dialup.

have 2 of them at work (port simpson). actually they perform not too badly at all. they are running into a linksys bandwidth aggregation router. we have the typical latency that is normal for a sat link but its only for a second at the handshake, once the transfer is going its actually faster than my adsl, mind you thats not saying much these days.
    they are expensive, $190 per dish per month. we get 6 gig per dish in and 2 out. they are fairly reliable and work in all weather.

Xplornet bought our old ISP.  Been having problems with intermittent service…will be on long enough to download one web page, then off for an hour or more…have been online for a few hours at a time (with a very helpful guy) to get the service running on my computer after a complete downtime of a few days. Just over (I hope) another intermittent spell of several days and have been thinking of a new high speed boony serving  ISP… any suggestions?

Hi ChrisJ. I’m considering getting Xplornet, and am intrigued by your mention of bandwidth aggregation. Which Linksys box are you using, and do you relly get 6Mb down?

Thanks for any info.

Might be worth it if it didn’t crash as much as citywest

Just over (I hope) another intermittent spell of several days and have been thinking of a new high speed boony serving  ISP… any suggestions?

Sell you one. I mean a whole high-speed boony serving ISP. No shit.

I’m Going to be blunt. There’s no way on god green earth you’re receiving 6gig input on EITHER dish. I don’t care what you say… post a screenshot and I MIGHT Believe you but 6 gig in, what you’re NSA?
Even 6 MEG in makes no sense what so ever since the highest package they offer is a 5056 down stream wich is a 5 meg CAP. CAP meaning they shape traffic to that speed and no a bit past it.
now 2 gig’s out… Well Again, you’re smoking some pretty potent stuff there.
Now if you’re on a buisiness plan either “medium biz” or “Big Biz” you still can not get more than 5 MEGS Downstream and 1.5 megs up on Medium and 3 megs up on “Big” So if you’re on “Medium Biz” and are TRUELY getting 6 megs down and 2 megs up then you’re getting 1 meg over downstream cap and .5 megs over your upstream cap (witch i highly doubt) now if you’re on “BIG BIZ” then you’re still a meg over on the downstream and a meg UNDER on the upstream… (NOT GIGS) So I would be on the phone demanding I get my Extra meg upload of else someone would be giving me a hell of a discount on the price selling me a service and not providing it. I am currently trying to troubleshoot an installation for an uncle of mine and I’ve tested any and everything. I have damn near 100% of the downstream signal and 70-80 on the upstream when i plug right into the antenna so I know there’s no issue with a poor signal quality and have even cut down 2 trees to ensure it and I STILL can NOT acieve speeds over 1066 down and 105kbps up… in lamens terms that’s 106K/sec Down and 10.5k/sec up… he is on the xpress home package of 3mbps/down and 600kbps/up and has not once even come close to attaining them. I am A+ certified by comptia not that makes a whole lot of a difference but i am better adept to fixing this problem that their “super genius” techies they’ve sent tot he house thus far. 1 quoted it’s the cordless phones causing a problem (a 2.4 ghz phone interfere with a 900mhz signal now I’ve heard it all) and another Tech told us it’s because of the time of day and that we should expect slowdowns… how the hell do you EXPECT and ACCEPT 106k/Sec down and 10.5K/sec up on a 3 meg plan? that’s ludicrous and I’m still laughing at that dimwit. So Please unless you can Prove SS’s on these said amazing speeds you achieve i take you for no more than some shmuck at the head office someplace tying to make their service seem to be not as bad as everyone is claiming it is… another note, who the heck is going to pay almose $200/month for HOME RESIDENTIAL Internet???
Bottom line I’ve heard lamer excuses from this company than from any other company i’ve ever dealth with and the tech they send to your house (in my case) isn’t as smart as the beagle we own.

LOL!  The infamous “screenshot or it didn’t happen” challenge.  Paging Sir Ryan!

[quote]I-Net Access 300  $249.99 

* Ideal for music downloads and file sharing
    * Speeds up to 2.0 Mbps
    * Includes 10 e-mail accounts
    * Available on DW7000 or DW7700

KaBoom  $179.99 

* Ideal for music downloads and file sharing
    * Speeds up to 2.0 Mbps
    * Includes 10 e-mail accounts

KaZam  $54.99 

* Perfect for e-mail and light surfing
    * Speeds up to 512 Kbps
    * Includes 5 e-mail accounts [/quote]

No mention on their website of service over 2 Mb, no mention of Gig restrictions (which exist), no mention of upload speeds (which I’ve heard suck).
I refer people around here to ElectroTech in the Fort and my old BC Tel buddy Terry Paton in Vanderhoof for this service, as in camps and lodges this is the obvious choice. Just sent a resort caretaker to see them as even though he’s in sight of one of my towers and could get 10Mb sync service, he let it be known he’ll eat 100GB a month or more.

Aliens will also steal your internet.

Well if the little green bastards can get better speeds than I can, All I can say is “Have At’er Little green buddy”

you’re damn right. I don’t know this guy from Adam, how am I or anyone else suppose to take him on his word? it’s hard to argue with a screenshot altho there are some who are just gluttons for punishment.
Not for nothing but i’m not holding my breath on the SS… I’m pretty sure i’d suffocate first.

You have misunderstood what I was talking about, the six gig is the download limit for the month, after you have downloaded six gig your over you limit and they charge extra for anything over that, the two is our outgoing limit for the month, do you get it now? I cant believe you are stupid enough to even think thats what I was implying, six gig speed? no wonder you cant fix his dish, your probably dont understand the instructions, if I did work for explorernet and a mouth like yours called asking for help, I would dick you around too. I will agree with you that their service is the shits, we have had alot of outages since my last post, its quite frustrating.

There’s a difference between saying i am getting 6gigs in and 2 gigs out. That implies you’re getting a bandwidth speed of said speeds. now if you had mentioned you get 6 gigs in and 2 gigs out of usage a month you would not have misslead anyone or thing. I don’t think i’m the only one that understood it the way I did.

“have 2 of them at work (port simpson). actually they perform not too badly at all. they are running into a linksys bandwidth aggregation router. we have the typical latency that is normal for a sat link but its only for a second at the handshake, once the transfer is going its actually faster than my adsl, mind you thats not saying much these days.
    they are expensive, $190 per dish per month. we get 6 gig per dish in and 2 out. they are fairly reliable and work in all weather.”

Point out anywhere in the above Quote where you said bandwidth usage. you clearly state you get 6gig per dish in and 2 out. and I’m not sure, but Isn’t the bandwidth usage capped at a total in/out combined? Like I said i’m not a customer but almost everyone else if not everyone else combines the two to calculate you’r total bandwidth for the month…

And If a mouth like mine ever called your Technical support department you’d best be more knowledgeable than me about the service you offer and the support that comes with it or yes I will flat out tell you that you’re an idiot as I do not like nor appriciate wasting my time talking to someone with out the technical knowledge of the product he’s suppose to be supporting…
Time’s precious I don’t know about you but when i’m not making money doing my REAL job because i’m talking to a pre-school graduate about how the service his company sold me didn’t work and only to find out he’s to inept to even help me with the problem in the first place after spending over 20 minutes on the phone with him, Yes my mouth gets a little foul… After all I did just get Fkd around by a moron for 20 minutes that had no clue what he was doing nor am I any further to getting my problem at hand solved…

And point in Case.  I had to call Xplornet Tech support again for my Uncle because Yet again the signal is not staing up. I noticed his flutter was going well above 10, to 15+ at times and I noticed when it hit 10 the signal would drop for internet and only have local network available. I spent over 20 minutes on the phone just explaining to the guy that if I unplugged the RJ45 cable from the little black power adapter they provide you for inbetween the canopy and the computer (you know the little black thing that sends power to the canopy) well it took me over 20 minutes just explaining to him that the power adapter did not need to be unplugged from the wall inorder to reset the canopy as you can just unplug the rj45 cable going to it from the canopy and that would do the same thing since the power travels along the RJ45 to the canopy if it’s disconnected the canopy can not get any power… Well the level 1 tech argued with me about it… That shows you the “Technical knowledge” of their level1 tech reps.

Hehe, I hear you, they are sucking, but dont rag on me, I dont work for those corkstackers. I am dealing with the same bullshit from them, but I also get fifty people asking me every twenty seconds “whats wrong with the internet, is it down”?, drives me nuts, of course they think its my fault, that I am playing god with their internet and fucking with them,LOL. The fact it was in gigs was enough of a clue  i thought as it couldnt possibly be speed, but I guess I was wrong, not everyone notices the obvious.