WTF? (Nathan Cullen hates the internet)

So you’re saying that ISPs should be government regulated like BC Hydro is? Have their rates and billing practices set by a government commission?

Hopefully in the coming election local government candidates will come forward who are willing to look at ways of creating a competitive local market so that there is choice and potentially higher standards of service, including on billing practices.

[quote=“Smurfette”]Yes, and Nathan Cullen would probably agree with an oil pipeline too, or an asbestos mine in the area, if it were a local company doing them.

He’s a hypocrite.[/quote]

I’m finding it increasingly difficult to trust Nathan Cullen.

I’m finding it hard to trust democracy. Starting to remind me of the radio caller who wouldn’t vote Social Credit because they let them remove the plimsol line from beer glasses.
An insignificant issue in the overall scheme of things.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

I’m finding it increasingly difficult to trust Nathan Cullen.[/quote]

Hilariously funny. A very clever turn of phrase that I am guessing only I would notice. Good job!

[quote=“BTravenn”]

I will admit that I am a tad dismayed with his position on Internet usage. I am hopeful that this is a temporary glitch and that he will see reason. I will see what happens in the next few months, years.

[quote=“hitest”]

[quote=“BTravenn”]

I will admit that I am a tad dismayed with his position on Internet usage. I am hopeful that this is a temporary glitch and that he will see reason. I will see what happens in the next few months, years.[/quote]

I think that at times Nathan attempts to express his support for local interests when he does not fully understand what local people actually think and he may not understand the underlying issue either.

Bigger issues about internet usage aside, he perhaps assumes that we all support Citywest regardless of what it does, because the city owns it. The reality is that a lot of customers seem a bit unhappy with the peoples’ telecom, including on the billing issue, many would probably prefer the choices of a competitive ISP market, and at least some question why the city still owns the outfit in the first place.

This is not the first time this tendency to wade into local issues in puzzling ways has been evident. A few months ago he told the Northern View that Sun Wave getting a court extension they had asked for was ‘tragic’. A litigant getting their day in court is ‘tragic’? I can see why Jack did not appoint him as justice critic. The same article reports:

“The MP accused the company of being intentionally obstructive which, he says, along with a penchant for unnecessary secrecy, are common business practices among companies based in China.”

Oh I see, being intentionally obstructive and having a penchant for secrecy are common among Chinese companies. That’s quite the broad brush he’s wielding and an odd statement to make in a town whose economy is now based on trade with China. I can see why Jack did not appoint him as critic for foreign affairs and international trade as well. (I leave aside that the court case may have something to do with how city representatives handled the Watson Island file.)

Nathan is a great guy and all that, and no doubt has a promising future, but I’m finding it easier to understand why Jack did not appoint him to the shadow cabinet.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 56439.html

[quote=“BTravenn”]

[quote=“hitest”]

This is not the first time this tendency to wade into local issues in puzzling ways has been evident. A few months ago he told the Northern View that Sun Wave getting a court extension they had asked for was ‘tragic’. A litigant getting their day in court is ‘tragic’? I can see why Jack did not appoint him as justice critic. The same article reports:

“The MP accused the company of being intentionally obstructive which, he says, along with a penchant for unnecessary secrecy, are common business practices among companies based in China.”

Oh I see, being intentionally obstructive and having a penchant for secrecy are common among Chinese companies. That’s quite the broad brush he’s wielding and an odd statement to make in a town whose economy is now based on trade with China. I can see why Jack did not appoint him as critic for foreign affairs and international trade as well. (I leave aside that the court case may have something to do with how city representatives handled the Watson Island file.)

Nathan is a great guy and all that, and no doubt has a promising future, but I’m finding it easier to understand why Jack did not appoint him to the shadow cabinet.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 56439.html[/quote]

LOL, you know his quote about Sun Wave seems rather similar to those comments that a number of folks have about CityWest’s transparency and penchant for secrecy, anyone remember if we were asked if we wanted to own five or so cable outfits across Northwestern BC? Cause I don’t remember the referendum on that or other ventures.

Yes, we were asked, but it was one of those sneaky votes. If enough people (can’t remember %) registered their disapproval, a referendum would be held.

I wasn’t in town until the last week of this process and wasn’t able to raise enough signatures to get this to a referendum. Also I was the only person to go to City Hall for the application to raise signatures. Where were you then?

Yes, I remember it well.

The argument went that this deal had a deadline, and the city had no way of contacting everyone and getting their input in time.

Of course, the company in question had everyone’s e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, and addresses. And sent regular correspondence to them (their bills), but yeah, the communications company had no way to get in touch with people in Prince Rupert to gauge their interest in buying a cable company.

I emailed Nathan Cullin and his response was

"I’ve been in conversation with a few folks around town and suggested that we hold a public forum to put the facts of the case on the table. I spoke with Citywest yesterday and they’re open to the idea.

So far, no one on the other side of the debate has picked up the offer and for me, as someone who doesn’t claim to understand the subtleties of the issue I’ve been made to believe that the case in Rupert is apples and oranges to that of the usual UBB conversation. If I’m wrong I’ll change my stance but until we have a pro/con informed debate it’s just a she said he said and I need more than that"

Lets start the public forum on good old htmf to hear the real frustrations of a site full of overopinionated , sun deprived Rupertites

Sorry, Nathan. But this is bullshit.

“I don’t know enough about the issue.” Bullshit. He ran on a campaign to oppose “ALL forms of UBB.” That’s also the NDP’s current stand on the issue. If you don’t know something about an issue, then wouldn’t the default be to side with your party and your election promises? Why would you go against your party and your election promises on an issue that you claim you know nothing about?

Wouldn’t the right thing to do be “let me look into this a bit more before making a public statement against consumers and against my party and against my election promises.” No apparently, the right thing to do is to publicly support corporations over consumers, and then when challenged, to tell his constituents that they need to convince him that his election promises and his party policy are correct, because the company has convinced him otherwise. Bullshit.

“He said she said.” Bullshit again. Citywest is using his quote to silence opposition. Hey a metered internet can’t be bad, Nathan Cullen supports it. Is he saying that Citywest is lying and that he didn’t give them his support? If that’s the case, then why does he say " If I’m wrong I’ll change my stance" huh? Didn’t he just say “he said she said”? Bullshit bullshit bullshit.

Public forum is his way of ducking responsibility and hoping someone else will take the heat for his taking the side of the corporations on this issue. It’s his job, as our federal representative, to take up this issue. It’s a shame he pretends not to know anything about it. It’s a shame he puts corporations before consumers. It’s a shame he’s going against his own party and election platform on the issue. It’s his job to represent us, and he’s failed.

Here’s what he should be doing: libbydavies.ca/news/update/2 … affordable

Jack Layton on a metered internet:

"Well, when you have monopolies, there’d better be somebody on the side of the consumer. "

“We just don’t agree with the UBB concept. We just don’t think it’s fair, or reasonable.”

“I think if the Internet is to realize it’s full potential then we really want to make it the place where it can be a complete free exchange of ideas and that means no to UBB.”

Nathan Cullen on a metered internet:

“I think the company is right on this one.” “I think what they’re trying to do is correct.”

Let’s just hope Nathan isn’t serious about running for NDP leadership. Would hate to see the NDP’s internet policy be driven by him.

Citywest said they wouldn’t proceed with the metered internet plan if they heard that people didn’t want it. 500 people have signed the Facebook petition, and many have sent messages directly. I’m not even sure the plan is still going ahead or not.

Either way, Nathan Cullen, who ironically is chairing the Ethics Committee, is showing he’s not much different than most politicians on this one.

I think you should run MIG… You got my vote

I was seriously considering running for the Pirate Party (on a pro-internet platform). Then I saw Nathan had in his campaign platform to “oppose all forms of UBB.” So I decided against it.

If he’s not going to represent his constituents on this issue, then I’ll seriously consider running next campaign for sure.

As Jack Layton said, “Well, when you have monopolies, there’d better be somebody on the side of the consumer.” Unfortunately, Nathan’s taking the side of the monopoly.

I know I wouldn’t win, but hey, if I take a couple of hundred votes, it might be enough for a Conservative to win. What a shame that the Conservatives are actually the ones taking the corporations to task for the metered internet issue.