Wow, every once and a while a government gets something right!

The Feds have just given close to 15,000 dollars to help out the Annunciation Soup kitchen provide hot meals to those in need. Finally something that’s worth paying taxes for…

news.gc.ca/cfmx/view/en/inde … eid=272629

Excellent.  My wife use to make soup for them when we were in Rupert.  I would bring it to the generous people who ran the kitchen and people who benefited from it always seem to give me a nod meaning thank you without losing their dignity.  I honestly wished I could have done more but, like many, I sometimes get quite selfish about my own life and tend to forget the less fortunate too often. 

yes, but the governemnt needs to fund the salvation army soup kithcen that feeds the same people 6 days a week . ifthe annuciation ggets funded them the salvation army should also.

yes I agree, they could use extra funds as well. Considering the valuable work that the Salvation Army does in town I would be surprised if they don’t already receive a number of streams of money from different governments, but where there is a need they should surely be provided with more to meet it.

On a different topic, but on the same vein. I see that KAPS will remain a going concern in the city as a number of people stepped up to volunteer their time and help there, it’s good to see and we should say well done to those that could make the time to do some good here.

Turnout to bolster anti poverty group ‘sign of hope’

The Daily News

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A call to save the community’s anti-poverty organization was answered and then some recently. The Kaien Anti-Poverty Society (KAPS) elected a new board of directors at their third Annual General Meeting after the previous board expressed concerns that there were too few people to keep the organization going.

The new, nine-member board met last week for the first time, with outgoing board members passing the torch.

“We had standing room only at our AGM,â€

The Salvation Army, as the poster child of social services agencies, gets enough community support as it is.  A lot of people are uncomfortable going there because of the religious aspect; the same goes for Annunciation.

To quote a South Park missionary: “Bible first, then food.”

Going fishing again in your own little pool are you? 

I’ll bite!

I have helped the Salvation Army with food donations before and, even though they are openly religious, I have never seen religion forced down anyone’s throat before the food.  Same with Annunciation.  I guess there is some kind of Grace prayer said before meals but that’s to be expected anyway.  If that’s what you mean by “bible first” than so be it.

[quote=“BigThumb”]
Excellent. My wife use to make soup for them when we were in Rupert. I would bring it to the generous people who ran the kitchen and people who benefited from it always seem to give me a nod meaning thank you without losing their dignity.[/quote]

Just curious: how could they thank you AND lose their dignity?

NOTHING IS FORCED DOWN PEOPLES THROAT AT THE SALVATION ARMY, THEY ARE THERE FOR FOOD AND THERE IS GRACE SAID BEFORE THE SOUP IS SERVED AND CHRISTAIN MUSIC IS PLAYING , BUT NOTHING IS FORCED THEY CAN TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT. BUT THER EHAS BEEN SOME GOOD THINGS COME FROM THE SERVICE THAT IS GIVEN THERE, PEOPLE HAVE COME TO THE LORD AND HAVE CHANGED THERE LIVES AROUND FROM BAD TO GOOD. BUT NOTHING IS EVER FOCED AT THEM.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

I YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE, CATCH ME AT THS NIC AT THE HOTPLACE

So are you saying that nothing is forced on anyone?

Not at the soup kithcen by voulunteers or staff, nothing is forced upon them, if they don’t l;ike the soup they do not have to eat it if they dont like the music they don’t have to listen, most of them have there own cd or mp3 players anyways to listen,