Woodbridge

I didn’t say it’s right; I’m just saying that’s what they’ll do. Chances are though, they didn’t just take it, someone else (maybe one of the people in the shot) sent it to them.

Ok, so no big deal.

I steal their stuff all the time, and post it here, and claim it as mine.

Here’s an example:

Roastin’ on the River

By Patrick Witwicki

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

This year’s annual music festival in Port Edward, dubbed the Rollin’ on the River festival, was so hot people probably considered jumping into the river.

With the mercury tipping past the 30 degree mark outside, and sometimes slipping past 40 inside, performers and audience members alike had no escape from the unusual Hawaii-like conditions.

That being said, there were some acts that definitely fit the bill as “hot,” while others just didn’t make the grade. Here’s a taste of how it went …

2:01 p.m. As a performer, it always sucks to go first. Not only are you the whipping boy for sound checks, there’s also a good chance that hardly anyone has arrived yet, and when local folk artist Doug Faust plays his first chord, there are maybe six people max inside the room.

2:09 p.m. Okay, maybe there’s a reason nobody’s listening to Faust after all. While his guitar playing is solid, his vocals and lyrics alike are far from impressive, and his second song sounds so much like a Melissa Etheridge tune, it’s enough to send me scattering to a different stage.

2:20 p.m. This is better. Some soul and jive, with Kat Sass and the Blowhards kicking out some unusual cover tunes (like Sade’s Smooth Operator), and ending their set with what would normally get people jiving on the dance floor, Brian Setzer’s “Jump, Jive and Whail.”

2:55 p.m. Two teen-aged girls, who call themselves “The McRaes,” might want to re-name themselves “The McNerves.” It’s their first time performing and you can tell they are extremely nervous when at certain intervals, they forget either the lyrics, or where they are. Better luck next time ladies.

3:10 p.m. Well, the festival’s barely an hour old, but we’re already running late. Riley’s Daughter spends a good 20 minutes going through a sound check, meaning they will only get 25 minutes or so to perform. They also have an English soccer fan on guitar, who still looks like he hasn’t recovered from last Sunday’s heart-tearing loss at the hands of the French.

The two sisters who lead on vocals do a nice job of keeping people listening, despite the mellow music they’re playing ? not condusive to the tropical-like elements.

3:40 p.m. Merissa Doerkson, of Rupert idol fame, is trying her hand at celtic ditties, as opposed to belting out various pop tunes. Of course she can sing, but something just doesn’t sound right. She doesn’t sound comfortable at all.

4:02 p.m. Beer garden opens. But nobody’s in it? That’s odd.

4:20 p.m. Two performers named Andrew Goulet and Gerry Roberts decide to play a vintage country song. The problem: it’s one of those whiny, “my wife has left me and the whiskey’s gone” kind of song, which makes me start longing for that beer garden.

4:21 p.m. Country song has had desired effect. Beer garden now full.

4:45 p.m. While seeking refuge in the main area of the Cannery, I hear somebody playing Coldplay’s “In my place,” from one of the best rock CDs to come out so far this millennium.

I rush in and learn that it’s a young band, comprised mostly of teenagers, called Lydian Influence. This turns out to be the highlight so far, as they follow Coldplay up with a rendition of an obscure, but wicked Brit rock song “Every you, Every me,” by Placebo, made famous by the movie Cruel Intentions.

And it doesn’t stop there. To end their set, bass player James Cook kicks into a solo for a song called “Hysteria” by Muse, and the band brings their excellent set to a wild conclusion.

Awesome. I can’t wait to hear what these kids come up with once they start writing their own stuff. Keep an eye on these guys.

5:30 p.m. The first “loud and obnoxious” band is playing up in the loft. Note: in the music world, “loud and obnoxious” isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

This particular band, Witness, needs some work, and their drummer needs to clean up his meter, but when they play a vintage Metallica song called “Seek and Destroy,” I find myself head-banging with the rest of them.

5:40 p.m. Hm. Note to organizers: Children’s performers don’t work well when it’s 30 degrees. This act is called “Celtic Kids,” and the female vocalist is trying desperately to get the kids involved.

But it just isn’t happening. The kids sit like zombies in their respective chairs.

Hm, note to self: parenting made easy when the kids are too hot to move …

6:10 p.m. The Grifters are playing an interesting set of funk-fusion rock, and the fact they have two percussionists impresses me. But I might be the only one, as most of the Rupert fans decide to vacate the room.

6:35 p.m. Damn it, I nearly missed all of Bernadette’s set, a local woman with a voice that just melts you (although I realize melting on a day like today isn’t that difficult.)

But hey, even just one song from her, and it’s been a good day, as far as I’m concerned.

6:45 p.m. Okay, I admit it, I’m torn what to write here.

You see, an all-girl band named “The Uncles” is playing some cover tunes, but aside from their lead singer, they’re all pretty sloppy.

But I hate to criticize because all-girl bands just don’t exist, even 25 years after the Gogos. If these girls practice and get better, maybe they could be the next L-7.

But right now, they make me long for the comeback of Belinda Carlisle…

7:10 p.m. Jacques Smit, a very mellow folk singer, plays his own rendition of CCR’s “Have you ever seen the rain (on a sunny day).” Somebody should have informed him, however, that this particular song would have worked better last week at Seafest, but not today…

7:55 p.m. Dilemma time. Rupert’s own Sarah Gibson is about to play her set, while Triple Bypass, who I’ve been told is Rupert’s best band, is set to play the Machine Room.

So to be fair, I catch two songs by Gibson to satisfy my craving for Ani DiFranco (no, Gibson doesn’t play covers, but her style is similar), before I race upstairs to the most crowded venue of the day.

8:35 p.m. Yep, they’re right. Triple Bypass is awesome, and their guitarist Brian Miller is probably the best axe-man in Rupert.

But Triple Bypass has a surprise for their fans: they’re about to head out on the road as a heavy metal 1980s tribute band, and they end their set with Iron Maiden’s “Hallowed be thy Name.” Wicked!

9:05 p.m. The Undecideds, though solid in their own right, are definitely anti-climatic after Triple Bypass. I’m starting to feel tired, and need more loud, raunchy music to survive the final hour, so I wander down to catch The Skids, who are probably the best “loud and obnoxious” band of the day.

And it’s worth it ? their second last song, an original called “Thrasher” is absolutely mind-bending.

Hm, being this hot isn’t so bad after all …

I have a really hard time trying to find the right word to describe that article.

[quote=“MiG”]
I like the Daily News, any newspaper that would have me on the front page, twice, can’t be bad. .[/quote]

Are you sure it was the daily news? It seems to me it was the Weekly World News.

No it was the DN. There is a big apology on the front page of today’s paper saying that the views dont reflect that of the paper but they do stand by the story. But they must have gotten a lot crap for the story to print a largish (eighth page?) apology like that.

I was kind of suprised at the story considering how many people I know went out there, spent the better part of the day and said how great everything and everyone was.

Guess not everyone likes the local talent. But he is right about Triple Bypass. Man, their guitar player just rocks!

100% Recycled?

Oh… and I always thought that the artist holds the copyright on any material produced unless specifically sold to another party. I highly doubt any newspaper can just claim a picture as their property. Strictly for arguments sake I’m sure that if you were lucky enough to take a picture they then grabbed up to use and make a profit from, the law would be on your side.

In this case that hardly applies though

CrazyMike

Haha I was wondering how long it would take for the boobies to be removed from that avatar.