WOLVES: These are not dogs, people!

Agreed. Caution is warranted.

Stumbled upon this very interesting documentary, thought I would share.

dailymotion.com/video/xrnley … _lifestyle

If your first instinct is to shoot a wild animal , then you are no better than those who feed them. It is really simple;

Don’t feed them,

Don’t dump carcasses in town,

Mind your pets.

i don’t think he was suggesting that they ONLY eat sick deer, just that they pick those ones off because they are sick and easier to get.

"

[quote]“we are told about predatory animals is that they only feed on the sick and old. Predators are not selective - they are opportunistic. They will take whatever is easy prey, including healthy, young and sick.”

[quote]"

for the most part, yes they hunt on opportunity, and not based on sickness and age of the animal, just like when stupid people leave their deer carcass and other dead crap on the outskirts of town, its a opportunity to a free feed and then they start tracking the deer that are in town because its easier than trying to hunt them elsewhere, and then they come across small dogs tied up in yards, again a easy feed [Jurassic park scene with goat on a pole comes to mind for the t-Rex]
the main point of that statement though is that as animals that hunt on opportunity, not a single attack has been reported with the wolves being in town, and im sure there has been tons of opportunity of a wolf coming across a lone human on a dark street yet still no attacks have happened.
i myself had witnessed a wolf in my backyard, and as my cats walked around, it just looked at them and moved on…

as for the comment of "rather seeing a doe feeding beside kids than a wolf"
that’s just silliness as wolves drag their food into the bush where they can eat, they don’t just sit in one spot and eat :stuck_out_tongue:
ever wonder why once wolves make a kill you can never find the carcass ? its because they rip it apart and it gets scattered. there’s no “one” feeding spot, just many of them… yet, if that doe feeding has a baby and your kids get too close, you kid is likely to get kicked or attacked by the pissed off mama doe

posting that you shouldn’t run from a wolf is just common sense… like any wild animal that poses danger, its better to make yourself seem like the bigger louder “animal” rather than run away like a animal of prey would, such as a deer…
that’s just survival 101
the wolves do have a potential to be dangerous, but for the most part, yes they are harmless, ive run into them numerous times and not once did i feel threatened…
people like to make such a big deal over the big bad wolf, when in reality, they were and are always around town…
its only a big deal when someone gets it on camera[/quote]

[/quote]

They could collect all habituated wolves and make new domesticated dogs out of them, like the Russians domesticated those foxes in about a dozen fox generations. They did just breed the foxes that showed the least fear of people together to do that.

Wolves aren’t a problem here, honestly I’d be more worried about the deers in town, I’ve seen a few times over the last few years of deer charging people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY-FKI_VOCg)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vDEar-riYM)

remove the deer and wolves wont come into town, their here tracking the deer.

[quote=“crazy Horse”]If your first instinct is to shoot a wild animal , then you are no better than those who feed them. It is really simple;

Don’t feed them,

Don’t dump carcasses in town,

Mind your pets.[/quote]

AMEN to THAT!! It’s about time our community started to practice social responsibility towards the wildlife we are so fortunate to have. Fishers - that includes you too. Dispose of your catch entrails somewhere that bear won’t be drawn to it. Don’t leave it on the rocks at the docks – that is an invitation to any self respecting bear or wolf. Hunters, dispose of your carcass in an area where there is not likely to be human conflict. Rainbow Lake doesn’t cut it. Humans have caused this problem and we need to resolve it by being responsible and practicing prevention and if necessary, aversion techniques.

Not realistic.
Even a wolf hybrid can be very dangerous. It can look like a dog but trigger like a wolf. It can look like a wolf, but have a dog temperment. It can be a beautiful pet but when faced with a running deer, the chase is on – and that is any dog, with or without wolf heritage. Wolves have been sometimes ‘tamed’ by experts in the field if the pups were young and imprinted on a human however, they are still a wild animal and could ‘turn’ at any point. Based on research, experts have documented this.

[quote=“kbrentzen”]

Not realistic.
Even a wolf hybrid can be very dangerous. It can look like a dog but trigger like a wolf. It can look like a wolf, but have a dog temperment. It can be a beautiful pet but when faced with a running deer, the chase is on – and that is any dog, with or without wolf heritage. Wolves have been sometimes ‘tamed’ by experts in the field if the pups were young and imprinted on a human however, they are still a wild animal and could ‘turn’ at any point. Based on research, experts have documented this.[/quote]

Read that over again. Basically you are saying wolves can be as dangerous as dogs. I wasn’t entirely serious but had just seen the Belyaev fox experiment. Still, domesticating wolves worked once pretty well, why wouldn’t it work a second time? And dogs may have had some bad traits bred into them as well. Guarding property instead of retreating, probably chasing animals too big and healthy and dangerous for them but which people could kill if held at bay. A “bravery” that isn’t always convenient or safe.