Wolves found dead off Wantage Rd

My fella was speaking with a couple today who found 2 wolves killed and skinned off Wantage Rd. and saw the photos as proof of this atrocity. Now, not only is it horrific but is it legal to not only kill a wolf but to skin it also? Who would we contact about this, the RCMP or conservation in Terrace? Has anyone heard of this happening before and who the hell would do this?

Late last year, there was a motor vehicle / animal incident just out the highway, where a wolf was hit and was in grave condition. A second motorist arrived and by that point (and before the police attended) the wolf had passed and the second motorist phoned the police to see if he/she could have the fir. The officer supposedly said “definitely not” and went on further to say “there is the harbor close by” (I guess he was thinking of where to dispose of it? Who knows). I guess this doesn’t answer your question, but after reading what you posted, combined with what I heard last year, there is definitely a need/want for wolf fir.

Was out there today and I also found a full bone rib cage and was wondering what type of animal it belonged to.

Probably illegal to hunt on Kaien Island, but it’s certainly not illegal to hunt wolves.

IT is illegal to shot or hunt any animal on Kaien island and that includes wolves…who in there right minds would be this cruel?Leave them alone!!!

bet this is has something to do with the over dramatic people in town making a big deal out of the wolf sightings, kinda sad to see how many wolves have lost their life over this? 4 wolves now dead? 2 shot by RCMP and these 2… and how many deaths have there been by wolves on humans? or let alone attacks on humans in town? oh yeah fear the big bad wolf… pretty sad, if people are uncomfortable with wildlife maybe moving to Vancouver would be a better fit for them, I like seeing wildlife alive not stuffed.

I would have to agree with you there and now on CFTK tonite, it seems that killing our wolves will be the plan of the future as it appears they are, according to RCMP, approaching humans without any trepidation whatsoever. I love the wildlife here, I have had encounters with wolves and have learned now how to handle that should I be stupid enough to place myself in that situation again as I was in the wrong, wrong place, wrong time! I thought this was the land of respecting nature and all of its’ creatures but it seems if something can appease that seemingly inherant greed that runs rampant these days, then too bad for the respect of the land. It is shameful, disgraceful and extremely sad to know these beautiful animals died in such a horrible way and for what, its’ fur? I thought we were long past that mode of thinking.

I have in the past been asked to identify bones and wolf skins that people thought were wolves, they were in fact just deer remains that have been miss identified. 2 nights ago we could hear the wolves howling in that area, I would send the photos of to the conservation officer to have it identified before jumping to conclusions a skinned animal is very hard to tell apart from another animal the same size. for example I have seen bears that have been skinned they have a human look to them hanging upside down from a rafter, a small deer that has been skinned will look like a dog or wolf if its missing a skull.
The hunter’s have been known to dump their deer and elk carcasses on wantage RD which in turn the wolves and other carnivorous go and eat the bone marrow as it is very health…

[quote=“Astro”]I have in the past been asked to identify bones and wolf skins that people thought were wolves, they were in fact just deer remains that have been miss identified. 2 nights ago we could hear the wolves howling in that area, I would send the photos of to the conservation officer to have it identified before jumping to conclusions a skinned animal is very hard to tell apart from another animal the same size. for example I have seen bears that have been skinned they have a human look to them hanging upside down from a rafter, a small deer that has been skinned will look like a dog or wolf if its missing a skull.
The hunter’s have been known to dump their deer and elk carcasses on wantage RD which in turn the wolves and other carnivorous go and eat the bone marrow as it is very health…[/quote]

I was hoping you would comment Astro, I respect your expertise in this area but unfortunately and sadly these were the remains of 2 wolves. It would seem the only reason for them to be killed would be their fur and I was under the impression that killing wildlife on our island was illegal.

Seriously it is not illegal to hunt or skin wolves, you only need a basic hunting liscence no special tags and you can shoot 3 from August 1st to june 15th and also In that portion of MUs 6-1 and 6-2 being Tweedsmuir Park, the open season for wolf is Sept 1 - Mar 31 ! and if the hunters / trappers didnt skin out or taxidermy the animals that would be wrong ! Now you don’t have to go very far to hunt from Rupert i think tyee is where you can start from ! env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hu … gulations/ Do your research before you start whining !

Hoever the fact that people around here hunt and fish to bring their catch home to skin and dump remains all over the place ie. wantage road and end of the industrial site for others to see is gross and sloppy, remember we do have a landfill, and thats where that stuff is to be disposed of not all over on the ground you f*&%#ing slobs !

http://cache.blippitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Daily-Life-GIFs-06-The-Rock-Clapping.gif

Pics or it didn’t happen.

You don"t need pics for it to of happened