Wolf story Daily News July 25,2007

Yeah, if that guy comes across a wolf during the Tet Offensive, you think he’s gonna be afraid of it?

Mine actually looks like this one:

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

Chrisj, Did you read the newspaper article the last sentence says and I quote “we don’t have a wolf problem we have a deer problemâ€

I am trying to dispell the myth that having these creatures within our midst is not a safety concern.  Thats what!!

Everyone like yourself and Astro are in a state of denial.  I’m not talking about wolves randomly attacking a child.  I’m talking about wolves defending their food source which they will do instictively.  That food source is visible in every neighborhood in town.

i think astrothug is doing just that, ismellfish that wolves in town need to be delt with, if they become habituation to humans. so around around you go chasing your tail…

Ismellfish were is your proof that wolves in town are causing a concern to the citizens of prince Rupert? Have you been walking the trails at night watching them, have you or your loved one been attacked?
The city, the wildlife conservation officer and the police have told the people of Rupert to be more diligent and too educate themselves about wildlife and more importantly the wolves that come into town.
Your solution is too kill the wolves before they cause a problem or attacks a person, before it happens.  But really we don’t know what’s going to happen unless you have a crystal ball that’s see’s into the future.
Why not ask astrothug what he thinks of the problem, none of you have directly asked him; you only asked what your children should do if they find a deer carcass. 
I have no investment in this what so ever, so unlike astrothug I and other can keep finding faults with your reasoning behind your fear of wild animals in city limits.

What proof do you want??  A body?  If a grizzly was in town would we watch and tell everyone thats it your own fault if it gets you or would we mitigate the problem?  Mark my words.  There will be a tragedy in this town because of the wolves and when it does I’m coming back to say I told you so.  There will be your proof.

BTW, who said anything about killing them?  I don’t fear them at all.  I am a concerned parent.  If a wolf attacks me he’s is in for the fight of his life.  If it goes after my kid it’s toast. YOu think I’m being unreasonable now??  Just wait and see after something happens.

Yes I have had an encounter with them, just a few days ago actually they came after me and my dog. Lets wait till they kill one first, great idea. I just hope its one you who they grab first, then the same fools will say "why wasnt something done, this is outrageous, I am not safe in my own neighborhood, its the cities fault, its the police’s fault, its conservation’s fault, its Astro’s fault. Why not get a biologist that specializes in this come and investigate and find a solution now, why wait for a disaster then act. Bears dont attack many people either, but we dont wait until they do now do we? They remove or kill them to prevent the possibillity, not wait till it happens and then say “ahh shit, we shoulda knew this was gonna happen, sorry bout yer pet”. I will be looking forward to saying “I told you this was gonna happen”, I just hope its only someone’s pet and not a small kid.

Theres one way to deal with wolves that have entered residential neighbourhoods.  Thats shootem on sight.  NO QUESTIONS!!!  The are predators.  They will kill within residential hoods.  Wehter it be pets or children, probbaly already been pets.  God forbid it happen to someones child.
I wouldnt have it any other way and I think even the wolf lovers would hopefully agree.

My question was not should my child do but what would a wolf do if a child happened to come across his kill, a carcass. 

Be clear about my point.  Its not about a wolf exactly preying on a kid but the other possible scenarios

You guys sound like a Lynch mob, talking about fear-mongering, you should be ashamed of yourself acting like scarred little girls, you think you’re the only people with children. You guys are too much you are feeding of each others fears now….you two are going to turn into some sort of vigilantly group and get some one killed.
OH and guys talk about astrothug dodging questions,  why are you so scarred when city, police and the conservation officers have said basically “there is no problem, and we are keeping an eye on the situationâ€

Fear?  You are confusing fear with concern.  I want to see a solution to the wolf problem.  Deer are contributing to the wolf problem.  Great!!  We agree on something.  The bottom line is that wolves in our community pose a safety hazard to the public.  Lets deal with facts

Fact: Kaien Island is over-populated with Deer
Fact: Deer are in our community
Fact: Wolves feed on deer
Fact: Wolves instinctively will protect their food
Fact: There are documented cases of wolves attacking humans.
Fact: There is a safety risk to the public

We are a reactive society.  Look at the tsunamis in Thailand and Indonesia a few years ago.  It wasn’t until hundreds of thousands of deaths occured that safety measures were taken around the globe, including BC.  Although this is on a much smaller scale the same thing is occuring in our community.  We’ll react instead of being proactive.

we all know those are facts lets here your real life solution to the problem? we are all waiting for you!!

Well…I dont wanna piss anymore people off than I already have, but  I think there is only one affordable solution.
Shoot the wolves that come into residential neigh borhoods.  Open up a deer season on KAien Island.  I know some hunters that would just love that.
I have a friend that would even love a week or 2 hunting wolves on Kaien Island as opposed to going to his ol stompoing grounds near green river.

Is there another solution?  I dont think so…
MAybe the lovers of wolves have a better alternative…
I have no fear …I have concerns

Okay…I don’t have a problem with that.

1. Open up areas of Kaien Island to bow hunting for Deer for select periods of time. With a bag limit similar to that on the Charlottes.  Up around 10-12.

2. Trap and relocate the wolves to another area of our vast province.

Astrothug could be a consultant to help move them off of the island as he has a great deal of knowledge in the numbers and where they are located. I think that this type of solution would please him because I’m sure that he would want the wolves to be in a safe environment themselves.

In my non-expert opinion I think that this would help to reduce the number of deer in the community while making it a less desirable place for the wolves to habitate.

This could save the lives of the wolves as their encounters here would be either dramatically reduced or eliminated while reducing  the risk to our children and pets.

Does that answer you question?

lol ya lets use guns in residential  neighbor hoods  you think there might be a potential for someone to get hurt or killed. so who would do this job you propose hunters, a bunch of beer guzzling drunks in my back yard shooting anything that moves. ya much safer then the risk of a wolf in your yard…LMAO

ive been following this thread since it began.
and i think all of you need to calm down. there has always been wolves here. always.
ive been here my whole life and so has my family.
simple fact. we live in wolf habitats. they have just as much right to be here as we do. and yes it poses a threat to our pets and our children and possibly even us
they wouldnt attack or be near us if they were afraid of us simple as that. we respect them they respect us.

what this city and its foolish people have created is a pack of garbage wolves. just like the bear we had a few years back. people around here need to start being wild life aware.
keep your garbage in cans. stop leaving pet foods and other such things in your front or back yard. its not like this pack will be here forever. just use caution in where you walk with your pets… BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS simple as that!

be smart and stop placing the blame on everyone else!
its just as much YOUR problem as it is the citys, the police, and the conservation officers.
we arent city folk by any means here.
like i said… be aware of your surroundings… look around you…
simple fact… YOU are in THEIR habitat too!

Ok guys I have been watching and reading your response, thanks Richard, and  bubbasteve735 for your understanding.
here is my response to problem wolves, much better and a real life solution on like you guys with big guns in rural neighbor hoods.

If the city asked me on what should be done, I would say.

1. First the city has too do something about illegal dumping, first and for most. A few people in our community dump there garbage on wantage road and the old road to the industrial site, the reason they are dumping is because there is no free dumping area, Prince George had the same problem a few years back they have 2 places that people can dump there garbage. Now the rural roads are not filled with stoves, TV’s washing machines and dryers. Closing the road to wantage was just brought up in the paper, this is not a solution it only makes people throw the garbage over the gate or they are going to dump somewhere else. So free dumping is a must. (too all who don’t get it, garbage draws in wild animals, like bears and wolves and other scavengers) 
  2. I would recommend a wolf biologist come and visit our town and consult with city and consolers regarding wolves. Have him meet with the local wildlife conservation officer and discuss real solutions and not fairy tail solutions like (bow hunters and hunter with guns in city limits or town). There was a wolf biologist in town 2 months back and I talked with him also.  Chris Darimont the lead wolf research in BC will be here next month, and I will be talking with him. Maybe I will suggest he talk to our city and Gary Coons who always like to listen to the people.
  3. I would look at deer population with in the province as well as wolf population there is a cycle and pattern to both of them. You can eliminate the wolves, but with a few years you will be looking at the problem again.
                  For example the local wolf pack here is maintaining the area (the island) from other wolf packs trying to move in. I know what you are going to say next “what other wolf packsâ€

I appreciate your reply.  I am glad that you are able to understand my concerns and acknowledge that there are a some serious issues that could use a resolution. I agree with much of what you have just said.

You had mentioned in posts previous to your last one that the deer population was a key contributor to the increased wolf population.  I’m not entirely pleased with you calling my suggestion of bow hunting on Kaien Island a fairy tale solution.  If the deer population is in fact a key issue in the wolves being in the community then I do not see bow hunting on the Island as being a fairy tale solution at all.  I think that reducing that population is as important as cleaning the crap off of wantage road.

As for BubbaSteves comment sabout wolves being here always:
I have also grown up here and spent day after day in the surrounding forests.  The wolves may have always been on the North Coast but they had not been on the Island in any signifigant numbers until the late 80’s.

In any case, I think that we are starting to get somewhat on the same page. 

If it bleeds, we can kill it.

does that mean its ok for me to show up to your house with a shotgun and shoot you in the head?
are you telling me that if things are problematic the solution is shoot it… hmm… there wouldnt be many people left would there?

all of this just shows the ignorance of people. “its our land they shouldnt be here we were here first!”
sorry you are wrong. they were here first. they have been here for longer than you ever have. we live in the wilderness of british columbia.
there is things called WILD LIFE thats why we have such programs as bear aware. which teaches people what NOT to do living in the north coast of BC

its a pity this knowledge isnt taught in schools and such… because if it was… we wouldnt be having the ignorance that is posted all over this board
people fear what they dont understand…

so lets get some awareness out there!!!

astrothug i commend your efforts on getting information on wolves out there! all the power to you and your girlfriend keep up the good work :sunglasses: