Wolf knowledge

I can’t answer the question as I don’t know what the pack numbers were 10-12 years ago. I’m sure it could be the same or less than the 8 individuals that are in this pack. I also agree with that there is going to be more problems if attitudes don’t change, the wolves’ course is set by our actions… if those actions don’t change then of course we are going to have problems.
That’s why the conservational officer said.
Keep dumping garbage outside of town; keep dumping animal carcasses near rural settings,
keep walking your dogs were wolves frequent, keep your garbage in bags by the curb,
keep your pets outside. Feed your pets outdoors.
Feed wild animals and we will have an incident with a wolf or coyote or even deer for that matter.   Our actions result in the re- action from wild animals.
Bigthumb I don’t think you sound anti-wolf, you sound like someone is generally worried…
Like myself and others, 

I’m certainly aware of my surrounding much more so these days.  I never let my 4 year old out of my sights.  The rental unit next door to my house has a family with 2 young children; the children are often playing outside unsupervised in the backyard.  My property is next to a large, dense forest.
It is a concern to me.

There are no wolf packs. Why do you think theyre coming into town. Wolves need to be in a pack to catch animals like deer. Because theyre not in a pack they resort to coming into town to eat garbage and catch cats and dogs. If you see deer around town youll see that their legs have been bit. That means that the wolves are attempting to catch the deer around town, but becuase its just a lone wolf trying to get some food the deer have been getting away. Theres no pack if there was the wolves wouldnt have to come into town to kill cats and dogs. And the wolf i saw was all by itself, if there was a pack then we would have most likely been attacked being so close to it. Wolves hunt in packs, when theres no pack they look for whatever they can get.

BTW, that wolf I came face to face with was here last winter too. So it must live somewhere by the highway and during the winter when small wild animals are scarce its been coming into town looking for food. We spotted that wolf by maverick last year when we were letting our dogs out and we had to scare it off so it wouldnt try n get our dogs.

Dude, before you start generalizing that the wolves are all loners, you should read some articles on wolves;  if you did you would know that a lone wolf is a wolf that left the pack to find a mate.
As for the numbers of wolves dude, there were 8 wolves that last summer were seen by  numerous people on the golf course; when the young wolves were able to go on longer outings with the pack,. The same pack of 8 wolves that we seen at their summer den site dude.
If you checked our website and looked at photos you would see we have pictures and video with 3 to 4 wolves, wolves dude hunt independently from the pack, and we have witnessed wolves howling in a area and then joining each other.
How naive are you Kevin, look at the photos I have; several of the wolves look like their parents, with subtle differences.
We have 4 of the wolves who have become more conditioned to the urban setting,  and too people feeding wolves Kevin. we also have coyotes who can be mistaken for a wolf  but are more aggressive then wolves and will take out your cats and small dogs.
Anyways we are getting off topic.

Here is some picture of wolves if you look closely Kevin you will see 3 wolves in the grass.

1. 3 wolves in grass.
  2. alpha male
    3.alpha female.
    4.alpha male and alpha female

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

Dude were do young wolf pups come from, from a breeding pair of wolves, wolves from the pack….
photo 1. baby pup at den site were we seen 8 wolves laying in the grass…
photo 2. two or three year old wolf.
photo 3. two or 3 year old wolf.

we have video on the site were you can see and hear 4 of the wolves…
by the way Kevin i live right beside you…lol…

first thing first you ran into the wolf at 2:30 Am its dark out and you are positive its the same wolf from last year, you could be right kevin but like I said the wolves from THIS PACK look alot alike their parents with subtle differences.

Wolves don’t live in one spot until spring when the wolf pups are ready to be born Kevin, wolves travel up to 25 miles a day. yes some wolves have been sticking to one or two areas due to food sources being available to them.  If you read previous post you might have a better understanding the dynamics of a wolf pack.
Lets look at that Kevin….

The Wolf Pack

Wolves are an extremely social animal. They exist as a social unit called a pack. Wolves travel and hunt in a group and perform almost all other activities in the company of fellow wolves. The pack, the basic unit of wolf social life, is usually a family group. It is made up of animals related to each other by blood and family ties of affection and mutual aid.

The core of a pack is a mated pair of wolves - an adult male and female that have bred and produced young. The other members of the pack are their offspring: young wolves ranging in age from pups to two and three-year-olds.

Pack sizes vary, most packs have 6 or 7 members, although some may include as many as 15 wolves. The size depends on many variables including the current numbers of the wolf population, the abundance of food, and social factors within the wolf pack.

Within each pack is an elaborate hierarchy. It may consist of a single breeding pair, the Alpha male and female, a lower group consisting of non-breeding adults, each with its own ranking, a group of outcasts, and a group of immature wolves on their way up. Some of the younger wolves of the pack may leave to find vacant territory and a mate.

Individual wolves in a pack play different roles in relation to the others in the group. The parent wolves are the leaders of the pack - the alpha male and alpha female. (Alpha is the first letter in the Greek alphabet.)
The alpha male and female are the oldest members of the pack and the ones with the most experience in hunting, defending territory, and other important activities.

The other pack members respect their positions and follow their leadership in almost all things, The alpha wolves are usually the ones to make decisions for the pack when the group should go out to hunt or move from one place to another.

Do you really think we have 8 wolves on Kaien Island that don’t belong to a pack….???

Well ok. But I didnt mean that all wolves are loners what I was saying was this wolf that I spotted is. Yes there are probably more wolves out near wantage where all those carcasses of animals people are ditching out there, but this wolf that near the highway has been spotted around my area and crestview and has been killing cats and dogs, just this one wolf. No one has spotted 2 wolves at a time in their neighbourhood around this area yet, its all been the same discription as the one I saw. I dont know a whole lot about wolf lifestyles, maybe its a wolf thats been thrown outta the pack I dunno, but the one in this area i believe is most likely by itself.

Kevin you could be right, it could be a wolf that is in low standing in the pack, when this happens the wolf gets very little to eat, and may in fact go after small animals, wolves don’t care if its domesticated or not. what is more likely Kevin is that some of the wolves have been hand fed by humans this has been documented by the conservational officer and they are looking for leads to prosecute those individuals. Some people think when they see a wolf that is skinny its hungry, and they think they’re doing that animal a favor when in fact they are putting that animal and people in danger.
Regardless of the animal if its wild it’s against the law to feed them and that goes for the deer.
If you have any more questions please don’t hesitate to ask…

Wolves proving to be a problem in places other than Rupert.  It seems that two wolves were stalking a couple of young families while toboganning near Fort Nelson when their dog (Big Rotty X - which escaped essentially unhurt) got in the way of the wolves as they approached the family as they retreated to their vehicle.  The father of one of the families then shot and killed one. 

tinyurl.com/37ghvj 

tinyurl.com/36w785  (no, its not Rick Astley  :smiley: )

Wow, that is seriously scary! One of the reports said that he shot the second one after catching it eating the carcass of the first one!  That is so crazy!

In the vein of Astrothug’s hand waving, I think we should allow the paintballers to chase the wolves off the island.