Windows 8

Anyone try Windows 8 yet ? what do you think of it ? was it a easy download ?

I’m running the public preview release of 8 in a virtual machine. It works okay, but I prefer Windows 7.

ok thanks hitest

The one of the things I like about Win 8 is it turns my 5 year old HP shitbook into a nice dining table/coffee table top display, so now it can finally play Gangnam Style smoothly and without fail at 720p for the whole 4.13 minutes.

My 17" Samsung rig doesn’t need Win 8, otherwise it looks very stupid.

I have been trying it out in a VM for a while now and sadly i see no reason to use it. i am also struggling to understand why it is considered an upgrade.

They should have just made a new OS for mobile and tablets, using the Metro interface (what do they call it now?) – and take the opportunity to leave all that legacy x86 and Windows stuff behind.

Then have two OSes, one for computers, one for mobile devices. Who wants a Metro interface on their server? Crazy. This idea of having one OS for everything will fail, as will Microsoft competing against their own OEMs. Who can be happy about that?

Still, the Metro interface is genuinely interesting, unique, and a fresh approach.

Wondering if they fixed the little things, or just left the same damn problems to rush out a flashy interface?
ex: I throw a computer on the bench to repair it, plug in a USB keyboard & mouse. Boot it up, check the start seq in BIOS, no problems. Then even Win7 starts, unrecognizes the keyboard and mouse because they have PS2 stuff at home and leads you to a login screen with no way to input anything.

10 minutes watching a spinning blue wheel before it reports it can’t pull an IP.
IE that sits there doing nothing for minutes on end and nothing to indicate it’s even tryong to do something.
Repair My Computer that won’t let you. Until it tries first for God knows how long.

I’ve got the preview running on a 2GB Atom525 machine and it runs pretty well. Faster, smoother than XP, but a PITA if you wanted to use it as an office machine.

Hey, how big is a minimal install of Windows 8 (say, 32 bit version?). I hear the tablet versions are a staggering 12Gigs…

I tried it on a Dell and a Thinkpad last week, and both blue-screened on the installation. I guess I’ll try it on a virtual machine, though no advantage over Windows Thin PC, is there?

[quote=“MiG”]Hey, how big is a minimal install of Windows 8 (say, 32 bit version?). I hear the tablet versions are a staggering 12Gigs…

I tried it on a Dell and a Thinkpad last week, and both blue-screened on the installation. I guess I’ll try it on a virtual machine, though no advantage over Windows Thin PC, is there?[/quote]

Installed on my Thinkpad T61 with 4gigs ram and 64gig ssd. Then installed it on my V131 with 6 gigs ram and 128gig ssd.

V131 boots in 5 seconds LITTERALLY !

install this,

stardock.com/products/start8/

How much space does it take up?

20 gigs with all updates and stuff, this is the 64 bit pro version on my V131

Like jason said that depends on your hardware. If youve got 4g ram and 64g ssd it takes that and if you have g and 128 ( ssd it takes that.

Hope that helps :wink: