Windows 8

Anyone else checked out the Windows 8 preview?
I think it blows. The initial screen is now the Start Page, little tiles to access everything. Might be the way to go on a tablet, but it sends ppl back to the “desktop with thousands of icons” clutter mentality.
You now find the icon called Desktop to get your desktop, and it comes with NOTHING THERE. Install a program, you better put an icon on the desktop or you need to find it.
A return to Explorer. Not IE, but explorer.exe that everyone is used to being a built-in function of the old start button. Now you must move your pointer to the top right corner and more things appear. Pick Start, find and click Explorer and there’s your documents, downloads, etc.
Go back to the top corner and find Settings in the menu, find Power and click shut down.

Another 'let’s copy a Mac (this time iPad?) but get everything wrong" effort like Vista. Three clicks to do what took one.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Anyone else checked out the Windows 8 preview?
I think it blows. The initial screen is now the Start Page, little tiles to access everything. Might be the way to go on a tablet, but it sends ppl back to the “desktop with thousands of icons” clutter mentality.
You now find the icon called Desktop to get your desktop, and it comes with NOTHING THERE. Install a program, you better put an icon on the desktop or you need to find it.
A return to Explorer. Not IE, but explorer.exe that everyone is used to being a built-in function of the old start button. Now you must move your pointer to the top right corner and more things appear. Pick Start, find and click Explorer and there’s your documents, downloads, etc.
Go back to the top corner and find Settings in the menu, find Power and click shut down.

Another 'let’s copy a Mac (this time iPad?) but get everything wrong" effort like Vista. Three clicks to do what took one.[/quote]

So microsoft is the gnome of the closed source world?

Excellent free advertising for other operating systems. :smile:

windows 8 sucks if I wanted a phone operating system on a computer I would just use a tablet.

It’s annoying to use, and you should see the server version MAJOR FAIL! what a PITA to use!

2008r2 is where it’s at…

I think it’s great. Look at the interface. It’s nothing but API and GUI. That means, when something goes wrong, a large portion of those who use it and support it will need A LOT of helping fixing it.

Ok this is how i see it, now i know that there is a certain individual in here that thinks that i am chasing windmills but this is my opinion

I see both Microsoft and Apple going towards a “Less is more” approach both with windows 8 and with lion. Windows 8 reminds me more of the old days where it was widows on top of DOS. now they have this Metro thing with all these tiles on top of the standard windows desktop. Now windows may perhaps copied OSX to a degree but OSX in its current version does not look like it was meant for tablets only. windows 8’s next biggest shortfall is the ribbon interface that is making a larger appearance. Microsoft should shoot the guy that thought this was a good idea in the head. Next is Apple; they are dangling mountain lion in front of us. Lion appears to be an OS that was designed to work side by side with tablets but still keep the desktop look. however they are not without fault, they took a great OSX feature “exposé” and neutered it into mission control. something that was supposed to marry exposé and spaces together. well sorry guys it did not work. next up is how they changed full screen. just take the new iMessage app (which is fantastic by the way) put it into fullscreen mode and you will see my point. Apple read my words, there our us out there that have more then one screen attached to our computer and we are not happy how you blank it out with full screen. however its saving grace is iCloud this is something totally different and something i use a lot. i wait with anticipation for mountain lion it has some game changing stuff that i cant wait to try out

to recap. both Microsoft and Apple tried to take inspiration from their mobile market and bring it to the desktop however in the end and i trying to be non bias here my vote goes to Apple and OSX because windows 8 looks way too much like a phone thats trying to be a computer

who cares bout windows 8 we got windows 7 remember???http://hackingthemainframe.com/forum/images/icons/smile/mrgreen.gif

So now you can download the public beta. After playing with it inside a VM i have come to the conclusion that Microsofts software engineers were wearing beer goggles when they wrote it

it sucks big time why would I want a phone screen on my computer screen, and did you notice how many steps it takes to reboot in safe mode? I think when maxiumum pc reviewed it, i counted at least 8 steps you have to do before shutting the computer off so it can reboot in safe mode.

You should see how shitty windows 8 server is, it’s a PITA!

One thing i like tho ( YES ONE ) is the task manager it shows more information.

dashpuppy.com/?p=241 see some screen shots.

[quote=“jase”]

You should see how shitty windows 8 server is, it’s a PITA!

One thing i like tho ( YES ONE ) is the task manager it shows more information.

dashpuppy.com/?p=241 see some screen shots.[/quote]

So like what a decade later they finally integrated some of the functionality they got when they bought out sysinternals? If it wasnt for the mindshare they get simply from indoctrinating kids at an early age they wouldnt be very relevant anymore. Metro looks like an utter piece of shit. I’m relegated to a mobile connection right now so I havent had a chance to test it but I’m really not sure I want to.

There’s a new release candidate last Thurs. haven’t had a chance to test it yet.

I posted photos on my blog, trust me you aren’t missing much… It’s still a god dam pita to use…

So apparently in the 8.1 update Windows 8 users will see the return of the start button. The users can rejoice…or can they? Turns out that all this will do is give you another way to get to the useless start screen. What i don’t get is Microsoft claims that the decision to remove the start menu and give us this Ford Edsel of a user interface, formerly known as Metro. This came from customer feedback?? People wanted this? Are you telling me that there is somebody out there that probably wrote Microsoft and said “I want my computer to be as simple as the point of sale system at McDonalds where all i have to do is touch the picture of a big mac to ring it up”

Readers of HTMF, I dare you to check out the film “Idiocracy” its a scary look at the possible future of the human race

Oh whoopee! AFAIC Windows is the biggest P.O.S. out there.
Had the misfortune to knuckle down and try to do taxes yesterday, pulled out my PC laptop and fired it up. I formatted and reinstalled Win7 Pro in Feb so I could use 64bit and add RAM and put it away.
Started at 4 pm. it was 10 am this morning before I could install the software. Update. Reboot. Update. Reboot. Update. FAIL. Download fix. FAIL. Use obscure fucking CMD language that makes Linux look easy. chkdsk reboot. update. FAIL. reboot. update. reboot. update. Click IE to look for solutions or maual update that starts IE. Wait five minutes staring at blank screen…
While it’s finally just about ready (took it to work) field call from somone who doesn’t know if they use Outlook Express, Office Outlook or Outlook.com for their mail.
Give up and transfer all my files to repo’d laptop that’s faster and newer. Sound doesn’t work. Totally wrong driver on Acer site.
Take a call from a senile old bag with Windows8. After half an hour discover she things the tile thing IS the desktop. Then of course when she finally starts the right IE - her’s doesn’t have a menu bar when you press ALT like every other Windows computer in the fucking world.
Any questions why I only start the PC to do something really BORING AND AWFUL like taxes?
As long as they keep making Windows and people are fucking stupid enough to think that’s how a computer should behave I’ll be employed.
But you’ll pry my Mac from my cold dead fingers. And there won’t be a Windows server in my rack EVER.

I do my taxes with windows XP I’m a virtual machine on my Mac [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

I run Slackware Linux mostly at my house. My teenager has a MBP. My wife has a Win 7 box that she needs for work; I’m so glad I bought the box just prior to Win 8 coming out. For taxes I use Studio Tax 2012 (free tax software). When my wife retires in a few years we will once again be 100% Windows free. For now we need and tolerate Windows.

The mac is just a over priced Pc with some fancy ass case THATS IT!! you pay 3k for a 15" macbook pro, but you could go buy a nice Thinkpad Or dell laptop for 1/3 the price and it would be faster and more durable. When mac’s were g3 & g4 based they were over priced because of their technology. Now it’s just a pc with the os ported for intel…

BIG woop, apple really doesn’t have any special features now a days…