Windows 11 October 5, 2021

There should be an x86 version
https://twisteros.com/download.html
I know why I was having so much trouble. Can’t even access the user/name/ folder on the guy’s original drive! Disk error right there, poor guy’s hooped!

Thanks! I’ll spin up a VM for Twister UI; it’s designed for desktops and laptops.

Installed Twister UI onto an Xubuntu VM. Very cool integration and lots of interesting applicvations to tinker with. :slight_smile:

I enjoyed the Pi version’s theme switcher.
Click… now it’s a Mac. Click… now it’s Windows 7. Click… now it’s Win 10!
If there was an x85 version I would’ve set it up on some older systems with the Win10 theme just to see how long it took for someone to notice it really wasn’t… wish I still had my Internet cafe. Would’ve been something to see people’s reactions.

The Death by 10,000 Niggles continues. 4 calls from ppl panicking over the news about IE. None have used IE since Windows 7.
The Old Fart wants me to show him how to plug a mouse into his laptop - how should HE know?
The lady back in town for summer who needs to be walked through ‘when the lights go out it’s OFF’… then turn it back ON…
The guy bringing his system called for the 7th time but promised to show up. Come after lunch I have a stack of ppl ahead, so he shows up at 8:10 while I’m in my gaunch drinking coffee and reading the papers online…
The guy who doesn’t want to go to the Dollar Store, do I have a used network cable I can sell him…

1 Like

I only install local accounts when setting up other people’s computers. I don’t know their Microsoft account and 99% of them don’t know either.
So when you do a Windows 11 install when you get to the screen with the ‘connect to a network’ that lists them

Press SHFT-F10 (starts a command prompt)
enter taskmgr
click more details.
go down to Network Connection Flow and End Task

then it goes on and lets you do a local account. You can close off command prompt and task manager and finish the installation.

1 Like

OMG my buddy will not stop using Lotus 123 for his store!
Wants me to show him how to ‘make it work’ on Windows 11.

And some lady just brought an old Compaq XP box she really really needs the pictures off. 256MB RAM… omg… I remember those days…

1 Like

Screen grab of a Arch Linux VM with Gnome, running on a Slackware64-15.0 host.

1 Like

Just finished watching how to set up Windows11 ARM on a Raspberry Pi, went into the computer room and just before I hit the ON button it hit me:
Why the Hell would anyone even want to…
So I just came back from a guy’s place who I know has been on computers since the early XP days. I’d wiped his old desktop weeks ago and his son bought him a laptop he could not connect.
Had to show him the diff between his browser and his computer desktop. The little buttons on the top right to shrink, resize and shut off programs. The difference between the spacebar and the touchpad, and how you tap that twice to click.
The go thru his notebook of passwords with no notation of what they were for until I found the original Xplorenet bill with the actual one.
As I was leaving I noticed the old monitor blinking ‘no input signal’ since he brought that desktop to me 2 weeks back…
(bright side is he’s moving to PG. One less to deal with)

1 Like

FreeBSD 13.1 and Gnome running on my Slackware64-15.0 host. I’ve enjoyed running FreeBSD since the 5.x days. Now only virtually. I’m a fan of Apple using their own flavour of FreeBSD on their hardware.

And to think how long ago it was using Unix on the systems back in the old days with BC Tel… when the entire digital switch for a whole town wasn’t as powerful as a Pi Zero…
(some of the compute club guys were writing the code to run it on a Commodore 64 just for a joke/practice)

Finally got rid of three desktop systems! Sold them to a Band project that told me delivery would be Nov 1 last year, they finally were ready to accept them today. Luckily they paid for them last year.
SO much room in my computer area now!!!
I have to order them 2 mice… I must’ve given them away in the last 10 months. And nowhere to buy a computer part left in town. Not even recycle shed or 2nd hand store.
I might have to reopen my shop like everyone’s asking me to, gave them the last 3 power cables from the one I closed in 2014.
Haven’t bought a toy in so long - the pension money is burning a hole in my pocket. MUST wait, must wait for an M2 Mac mini…

2 Likes

Yeah, the Mac Minis are cool; I think the only thing I’d need is an HDMI cable. My OnePlus 7t phone is slowly starting to annoy me. My morning wake-up alarm has recently started to spontaneously turn itself off. I also think my battery is slowly going kaput. I bought the unit in February 2020. I’m going to be in Vancouver again at the end of September and will look at the iPhone 13 or 14 Pro (if the 14 is out). Will be getting Apple Care. I’m done with Android phones.

I love to piss people off by saying “there is the iPhone and there is the people who can’t afford an iPhone”.
I still have a 2010 Mac mini boosted to 8GB & 256 SSD. The wife used to use it, haven’t even turned it on in 4 months.
I need a new mini like a hole in my head, i just want one anyway…

So I’ve been doing a side by side comparison of the iPhone 13 and the iPhone 13 Pro. The Pro has a better camera and build quality in addition to better battery life even though it has a smaller battery than the 13. I read that this is due to optimization on the Pro.
Having said that the iPhone 13 does get really good battery life and it costs 300 less than the Pro. I’ll be doing some extensive comparison shopping when I’m at the Apple Store in Richmond at the end of September. I’m looking forward to that.
P.S. I’ve been running only Slackware and BSD for a bit now. I may run Windows again or get a Mac when I upgrade my laser printer. I have an ancient HP P2015 that just won’t die (haha).

I have an HP laserjet still in the box in my closet after 2 years. My old Brother inkjet just won’t die and I’ve only room for one!
After we do the memorial for the wife Aug long weekend, I will be switching the computer room and the spare bedroom so I have more room. Gonna be full till then w family from Terrace, Kitimat & Stewart. The PG relations are close enough to do a day trip.
Might even have space for a 3D printer I’ve always wanted but could never come up with a practical use to buy one.

Worst hing abount windows is you must immediately adjust the power settings so it doesn’t go to sleep while plugged in.
Running from room to room restarting downloads!!!
And that iPad restore!!! Come up with a better iTunes, has to download the whole iOS, computer goes to sleep and stops it, or Telus craps out for a minute and repeat the hours long process. Always because the idiot couldn’t remember their password and locked it up!

I’ve used Linux for 20 years and I’m going back to Windows 11 Home on my Lenovo laptop. A recent kernel upgrade messed up the partition table such that my Linux install media could not format, setup partitions. Grrrrr. I know this is not good for my SSD. Hopefully I’ll be able to carry on normally now.

I modified my Pi desktop to a Big Sur theme… but I prefer the old Menu dropdowns over finder and app tiles for speed and ease of use. Trying to figure out how to get it back to plain old Raspian desktop and can’t locate theme settings at all.
You have a point about Windows: no matter how badly a customer FUBARs it, I can fix it 90% of the time without wipe/reinstall. Can’t say that with Linux.

1 Like

Indeed. It’s safe to say I’m a rabid fan of Linux. However, the hardware support for video and sound cards in Windows is just better. Period. My speakers sound so much better listening to Youtobe and Netflix on Windows 11.

The WORST Windows repair in years. The old biddy messed up every single thing she possibly could but denies doing anything at all “it just happened!”
Hasn’t updated since v1607… running Windows7 defender… removed 90% of the start menu, deleted folders rather than uninstall, 500GB of photos - some sub folders six copies. Won’t boot off USB, CD boot won’t continue w/o windows key, key doesn’t work… SFC errors out - DISM errors out… FUBAR!! Old mobo won’t do AHCI…
Now entering 3rd day, burned new USB stick, new DVD just in case…

1 Like