Wind Noise

Can’t believe all the wind out there last night. They said it would not be windy last night or loud. I am so pissed off that it was windy last night. There was loud noises around my place from the wind lol. Is there anyone I can phone or talk to about this matter.

The wind has a peaceful, calming sound, the sounds being complained about are high pitched and irritating and U are an ass!

Do I sense some sarcasm “Speedy”? Funny !!

You think thats bad. I bought a nice peaceful house out of town on an acreage and you wouldnt believe the animal sounds I have to put up with. Its ridiculous. I phoned the regional district and they said there is nothing they can do about it. I’m pretty sure its a big conspiracy between the woodpeckers and the regional district against me.

How was I to know when I moved next to a forest that there would be woodpeckers and other wildlife? Clearly there should be someone who is willing to deal with this very important issue.

I think Jesus is being quite a blow hard with all his bragging about being able to hear birds singing, we haven’t been able to hear anything nice like that around here for almost 2 years. I also think Codybear933 is an ass for thinking it necessary to state the obvious.

I’m not bragging. It’s actually very annoying at times but heres the thing I chose to live next to the wilderness, you chose to live next to an industrial area. See the comparison?

[quote=“jesus”]

I’m not bragging. It’s actually very annoying at times but heres the thing I chose to live next to the wilderness, you chose to live next to an industrial area. See the comparison?[/quote]

Its funny that in the BC Ferries thread you are arguing about the provincial governments ethics, when you are showing no support for the “ethical right choice” in regards to Pinnacle in this thread…pretty hypocritical if you ask me.

Goating people who live near this facility complaining about the noise is equally unethical is it not?

hayzeus and his speedy delivery side kick are trollers…
just trying to get a rise out of people.
bottom line is that pinnacles noise is high and unacceptable to residents in the surrounding area.

[quote=“bthedog”]

Its funny that in the BC Ferries thread you are arguing about the provincial governments ethics, when you are showing no support for the “ethical right choice” in regards to Pinnacle in this thread…pretty hypocritical if you ask me.

Goating people who live near this facility complaining about the noise is equally unethical is it not?[/quote]

No its not unethical at all. It would be unethical for the government to change the rules and punish a corporation by denying zoning or forcing them to undergo changes at their expense due to whiners poor choices.

Again I’ll say it. Did you not check the zoning of nearby areas before purchasing your home? because if thats the case you made a mistake. If you did check the zoning well guess what? you chose to ignore the zoning in the hopes there would be no development, again you made a mistake.

Regardless it was YOUR choice to live where you do and YOUR mistake that caused you to be subject to this noise, dust and whatever else you’re complaining about. Its just like the idiots who live near train tracks and complain about the noise from trains… wait isn’t that the same fucking people doing this complaining.

I fail to see how it is a businesses responsibility to placate you after doing their due diligence when choosing their property because YOU didn’t do yours.

[quote=“jesus”]

[quote=“bthedog”]

Goating people who live near this facility complaining about the noise is equally unethical is it not?[/quote]

No its not unethical at all. It would be unethical for the government to change the rules and punish a corporation by denying zoning or forcing them to undergo changes at their expense due to whiners poor choices.

Again I’ll say it. Did you not check the zoning of nearby areas before purchasing your home? because if thats the case you made a mistake. If you did check the zoning well guess what? you chose to ignore the zoning in the hopes there would be no development, again you made a mistake.

Regardless it was YOUR choice to live where you do and YOUR mistake that caused you to be subject to this noise, dust and whatever else you’re complaining about. Its just like the idiots who live near train tracks and complain about the noise from trains… wait isn’t that the same fucking people doing this complaining.

I fail to see how it is a businesses responsibility to placate you after doing their due diligence when choosing their property because YOU didn’t do yours.[/quote]

I am not one of the people living in this area…and while I agree, they did locate their homes next to a dormant industrial site (thus they were banking on that site never becoming active) and thus are basically SOL…I don’t think it is right to basically rib them for that and rub it in their faces…THAT is what is unethical about your post.

Furthermore, your argument in this thread is directly contradictory to what you are arguing in the Ferry thread. You say these businesses should not have to placate people because they didn’t check their zoning…the BC Liberals do not have to placate NDP voters who want subsidies in this riding.

[quote=“bthedog”]

I am not one of the people living in this area…and while I agree, they did locate their homes next to a dormant industrial site (thus they were banking on that site never becoming active) and thus are basically SOL…I don’t think it is right to basically rib them for that and rub it in their faces…THAT is what is unethical about your post.

Furthermore, your argument in this thread is directly contradictory to what you are arguing in the Ferry thread. You say these businesses should not have to placate people because they didn’t check their zoning…the BC Liberals do not have to placate NDP voters who want subsidies in this riding.[/quote]

When you complain daily about something that was entirely unavoidable if you made different choices and demand something be done to compensate you for your poor choices you deserve mockery. There is nothing unethical about that.

The BC liberals do not have to do anything for this riding but they should do whats good for the province and not punish people for not voting for them. Having multiple routes to the north is beneficial to the entire province not just Prince Rupert. Their choices may or may not be unethical but their reasoning certainly seems to be. We subsidize our highways do we not? how is what is essentially an ocean highway any different? I think you’d find its much cheaper to operate a ferry than build an alternate real highway to the north.

[quote=“jesus”]

[quote=“bthedog”]

Furthermore, your argument in this thread is directly contradictory to what you are arguing in the Ferry thread. You say these businesses should not have to placate people because they didn’t check their zoning…the BC Liberals do not have to placate NDP voters who want subsidies in this riding.[/quote]

When you complain daily about something that was entirely unavoidable if you made different choices and demand something be done to compensate you for your poor choices you deserve mockery. There is nothing unethical about that.

The BC liberals do not have to do anything for this riding but they should do whats good for the province and not punish people for not voting for them. Having multiple routes to the north is beneficial to the entire province not just Prince Rupert. Their choices may or may not be unethical but their reasoning certainly seems to be. We subsidize our highways do we not? how is what is essentially an ocean highway any different? I think you’d find its much cheaper to operate a ferry than build an alternate real highway to the north.[/quote]

I don’t disagree on the BC Ferry topic…as I mentioned in that post, I feel this is a mistake and damaging to the riding, but I understand why it is being made.

Many other interior ridings don’t support Ferry subsidies…they don’t view the importantance of the ferry system as we on the coast due and that is understandable.

The Liberals are doing this to appease their base supporters who don’t feel the ferry system IS an extension of the highway systems. Many in the interior feel they are subsidizing the livelihoods of the people living on the coast and they don’t agree with it…most of these people are Liberal voters.

Nobody with half a brain would ever choose to live within a mile of the antiquated piece of crap that pinnacle has built. I think it’s clear or all who live on Graham, Atlin and 2nd ave. that this company made false claims in order to procure this site for their company. Comparing bird noises to this noise is like comparing a grape to a giant pumpkin.

Does this make you having less than half the brain then, or perhaps none at all?

Might just drive down there tonight to see what all this proclaimed noise is.

1 mile radius really. You actually know how far 1 mile is. Doubt you are hearing it 1 mile away!!!

[quote=“Speedy”]Might just drive down there tonight to see what all this proclaimed noise is.

1 mile radius really. You actually know how far 1 mile is. Doubt you are hearing it 1 mile away!!![/quote]

Try driving closer to that plant on the east end of Graham. You have to walk out of your car to hear that minuscule noise.

EDIT: This is 1 mile. lol

http://i.imgur.com/4bJYdiql.jpg

so the giant pumpkin is your complaint and the noise is the grape. Gotcha. Seriously, why did you choose to live next to an industrial area? why do you feel a company should pay for your poor choices? serious questions.

Not living in the area, I am reluctant to comment on this thread. But while in the library the other day, I found a new book called Noise: A Human History of Sound and Listening which was based on a 30 episode BBC Radio broadcast.

After reading the first chapter on the sounds our ancient ancestors would have heard in their cave homes, I jumped to Chapter 29 (I intend to go back) which was titled, An Ever Noisier World? Now I am no expert on this topic, even when the author seemed to be stating the obvious, but there were a couple of things I found interesting in this chapter.

Sound is the sign of progress. City vs Country. Factory vs Farm. Train vs Horse. I guess we can say the same for smell. Remember the smell of progress as we accepted the stink of the pulp mill and the canneries. (Oh how we miss those days.)

But noise is also a pollutant. In the 1920’s, one corner in New York was considered the noisiest in one of the noisiest cities in the world. The clang of trolley cars. Newspaper boys shouting out headlines. The whistle of a traffic cop. The hum of the factories. They made changes but if you are on that corner today the noise is still there. A major traffic thoroughfare with honking horns etc.

So noise is unavoidable, but even back in the '20s unions and governments appealed to the bottom line of business owners pointing out that noise affected the health and working ability of people. They studied a group of typists and found that they lost 15% effectiveness when typing in a noisy room compared to a quiet one. (Try telling that to your kids as they study to the thump of their stereos.) I understand that this applies to workers (what is it like for the people who work for Pinnacle?) but I think it can be applied to neighbouring people as well.

So in fairness to the people posting here, even hissyfit whose unfortunate username on a topic where (s)he comes across as a complainer, I want to hear more.

Unlike Jesus, I don’t care why they bought where they did even if it was a mistake. That shouldn’t exclude them from seeking redress if it is warranted. But I would like to know the following.

1. What is the exact problem and just saying it is noisier won’t quite cut it?
  2. How widespread is the problem. If it is just hissyfit and a neighbour, then I am sorry. If it affects dozens of families then I am listening?
  3. Has Pinnacle done anything to correct the situation?
  4. What more can you reasonably expect - and I emphasize reasonably - from Pinnacle in the future?

Taking on a large corporation is not easy. Even if the battle is marginally justified and even if they lose, their effort is instructive for any of us who may face something similar down the road.