Win 9X...Beyond Useless

so I offer to format this guys laptop and put Win ME on it (w no system restore) for $30.
Old Toshiba satellite 166MMX, one whole USB port…
1st there’s no floppy. Search the web find out you hold down “C” to boot from CD… okay. So I boot from WinME and fdisk, find out there’s a 15MB FAT12 D: partition. Hmmm. wipe the partitions, reboot to find no “format” command available in any boot choice. No floppy.
So I find an old boot floppy with extra DOS commands I made (cuz I used to know this when I was the tech), and use Nero to make it into a boot CD. By now I’ve pissed away an hour & 1/2. Takes longer to read the floppy than to burn the CD…
So I managed to format the C: into one 2.1 Gig partition, reboot with the ME disk and it errors out “Must be a Pentium 150 or better” and that’s it. It’s a fuckin 166!
All because my tech is as absent minded as me and left ALL 6 copies of Win98SE AND both original copies of Win98SE in customer computers he serviced. He grew up here and should know they’re all goddam crooks. At least I’m from the city and raised to believe at least 20% of the public is honest. IT’S ALL HIS FAULT! WAAAAAHHHHH!!!
Sorry for the rant, I need to move away from here. Stupidity, immorality and assholiness seem to be this town’s virtues at times.

You hired him, what does that make you? :laughing:

you got me, i admit it… :laughing:

Dude, you need a Windows 98 SE CD?

Have you tried the 98Lite thing?

thx Mig but my tech has some 98se’s left at home… Like I said I must’ve left 40 burnt copies in customer systems over the years. I don’t know if anyone ever brings in their own Windows and driver disks…
Seriously considering chasing people with 9X out the door with a broom :laughing:

I think Windows 2000 works great on older machines, especially if you turn off all the unused services…

I would have gone right to 2000 if he had 64 MB

its a poor handy man who blames his tools…

if its a copy of windows, then who cares? it costs like a buck for a disc…

hell if I have a blank around, Ill make up an iso with win98se and all the

drivers/apps they’ll need, when I work on a clients system…

not everyone here are assholes/idiots…but yes, we have our share…

PS: I feel your pain tho, Ive worked on hundreds of laptops, many very old…

the oldest being an PC8201 that ran on AA’s, and had Dos 1.03 embeded…

no drives either…i had to use the built in 1200 baud laplink…yuk

[quote=“daemon”]PS: I feel your pain tho, Ive worked on hundreds of laptops, many very old…

the oldest being an PC8201 that ran on AA’s, and had Dos 1.03 embeded…

no drives either…i had to use the built in 1200 baud laplink…yuk[/quote]

that’s what sledgehammers are for