Why isn't Ubuntu more popular?

You can always set-up a Windows/Ubuntu dual boot for gaming. :smile:

Yeah, that answers the question for a lot of peopleā€¦gaming.
Also, the newer Windows not recognizing older hardware like printers, scanners, etc., so thatā€™s a plus for Ubuntu.
When I installed Ubuntu, I never had to search for drivers for anything. It installed without a hitch.

People still game on pc? I have an xbox for that.

[quote=ā€œMiGā€]I love xfce, itā€™s the only reason I can still use Ubuntu. If there was no Xubuntu, Iā€™d probably be using Slackware too.
[/quote]

Indeed!! XFce is awesome. :smile:

I use kde because Iā€™m used to the default key bindings, but most of the environment gets in the way. Iā€™d be happy with the application launcher (not the menu), a small active applications dock and the pager. 99% of what I do on my computer does not require taskbars/ā€œstartā€ menus I love hot keys.

I also like KDE, it is a beautiful environment; it just uses a bit too much RAM for my tastes. Each to his own. The beauty of Linux is having a wide variety of DE/WMs to choose from.

[quote=ā€œhitestā€]

I also like KDE, it is a beautiful environment; it just uses a bit too much RAM for my tastes. Each to his own. The beauty of Linux is having a wide variety of DE/WMs to choose from.[/quote]

Yup, I used to be like a certain member here and try to convince people that what I liked was the best and everything else sucked but Iā€™ve been around a while now and realized that there are always positives and negatives to every system and frankly not everyone does the same things as I do.

Iā€™m pretty excited in the new house we have a closet that looks to be just big enough to fit a small server rack. I plan on playing around with a bit of home automation (linux based system of course) and see where that leads meā€¦ after I beautify things a bitā€¦ my yard currently has 4ā€™ tall grass covering half of it and a few mosquito breeding grounds that need to be taken care of first.

[quote=ā€œjesusā€]

Iā€™m pretty excited in the new house we have a closet that looks to be just big enough to fit a small server rack. I plan on playing around with a bit of home automation (linux based system of course) and see where that leads meā€¦ .[/quote]

Cool!!

Itā€™s really cool until you see your hydro bill.

Well the automation would be more geared to saving energy than wasting itā€¦ like turning lights off when you leave a room etc. I realize most people do that wrong but I have a plan, I want to count room occupants on ingress&egress points and when the room is empty turn the lights off, maybe do some sort of voice recognition for things too just for fun.

[quote=ā€œjesusā€]

Well the automation would be more geared to saving energy than wasting itā€¦ like turning lights off when you leave a room etc. I realize most people do that wrong but I have a plan, I want to count room occupants on ingress&egress points and when the room is empty turn the lights off, maybe do some sort of voice recognition for things too just for fun.[/quote]

the new xeon / amdā€™s are not power hungry like all the old stuff. Shit, my 2 x quad cpu server and tons of other stuff in the rack pulls 234watts and its PLENTY powerful enough to run 20 Plus vmā€™s. ( currently running 6 )

Think you will be fine on the power department, just buy ( newer stuff )

Remember, folks, every OS sucks.