Why does Rupert look so run down?

When I first arrived in Rupert back in 1980, I was dazzled by the rainbow of house colors as the airport bus roared along Park Avenue. There have always been areas of town that looked somewhat run down in the many years that I lived there but it wasn’t until we came back for a school reunion a few years ago that I realised how neglected the city was looking. I wanted to take a few hundred gallons of white paint and clean up the town…but Park Avenue would be getting some of those blues,corals and greens that I saw all those years ago.

I’m thinking that maybe it’s not just that McDonalds that needs an upgrade.  What about Shoppers Drug Mart and Zellers too?  They are pathetic compared to most of the other Shoppers and Zellers I’ve seen in Western Canada.

yea upgrade zellers and shopers to walmart and london drugs

The shopping her sucks it needs a serious change…  Safeway is about the only store that is the same here as it is elsewhere, many others are awful.  I hate Zellers and Shoppers here…  I agree that they are pathetic compared to other towns…  Often Zellers is a nice alternative with some different stuff then Walmart, but not this one here, it’s a dive of a store, and that mall it’s beyond words for how bad it is…

We are broke thats why.

And?

How exactly does that affect taking care of day to day maintenance of the city owned things?

We can’t afford paint?   

I get so sick of the city claiming to be broke, while the waste keeps on going strong…

Painting and maintaining is cheaper than replacement… 

I thought he meant civic politicians are morally broke. =.=

We have shitty shopping because stores don’t want to open up here. They don’t profit. Every new store ends up closing and that includes big chains…

Wonder why that is??? :unamused:

“lets go to terrace for shopping”

Terrace is the shopping center of the north…  I thought we were bad off and still do. Then  I saw Kitamat Shopping… lol   That is sure to get even worse now…

I think the local politicians should clean my front lawn, as well.

I have left cigarette butts, used toilet paper, rotting apple cores, old sporks and my very own Sham-eeze rag on my muskeggy carpet, yet none of the poltiicians seem to care. Well, who is gonna clean that sh*t up?

“Who can take your trash out?
Stomp it down for you?
Shake the plastic bag and do the twisty thingy too?
THE GARBAGE MAN!!
Oh the Garbage Man can
The Garbage Man can and he does it with a smile and never judges you.
Who can take this diaper?
I don’t mind at all
Who can clean me up before the big policeman’s ball?
THE GARBAGE MAN
yes the garbage man can”

In 2011, I am running for the Superintendent of Sanitation role.

[quote=“rupertguy”]Terrace is the shopping center of the north…  I thought we were bad off and still do. Then  I saw Kitamat Shopping… lol   That is sure to get even worse now…
[/quote]

Terrace = Metrotown Northwest

Also I find some customer services in Rupert are more of a train wreck compared to years ago.

NWCC should offer Kaizen 101. =.=

I agree the service in Terrace is why I go back there besides the variety …

But it sure sucks that it takes an hour and half to get there.  You also have to worry about road conditions.  I’d be more willing to go there if it had a Winners, Costco, Future Shop, Old Navy or something like that.

yeah its good that this winter has been better than most for road conditions.
I agree I wish there was more like you mention but for all that, we have to go further which means I hop on Jazz to Vancouver as I cant stand PG.

Me to i do all my shopping at metrotown, now there is a nice new clean mall with great stores, skytrain buses that go every where!

Did i mention i am moving there soon yeha!

Do all you people not see that rupert is dieing!!!
Dieing beneath your very feet?  Time to pull the plug fellow podunkians.
I am…I have lived there for 38 yrs.  And now it time.
Never sail on a sinking ship…

Ah if only Charles Hays had taken your counsel.

[quote=“mcsash”]
Do all you people not see that rupert is dieing!!!
Dieing beneath your very feet?  Time to pull the plug fellow podunkians.
I am…I have lived there for 38 yrs.  And now it time.
Never sail on a sinking ship…[/quote]

Bah… I already did years ago.

Going back to Rupert in its current shape to try make a living is very much like beating a dead horse, unless some of us found ways to start this town over again and make it better.

[quote=“DarcyMcGee”]
Ah if only Charles Hays had taken your counsel.[/quote]

We need a time machine…