Where would you move to?

I was wondering about Cranbrook “Shirley”. I have checked their CoC website but ideally I would need to live in a place with public transit as I don’t drive and I can’t seem to find that info anywhere. Sure looks pretty though and as I told my fella , anyplace with a Quiznos can’t be all bad !!

Here’s the bus info:
busonline.ca/regions/cra/?p=2.list

[quote=“Soggy”]Here’s the bus info:
busonline.ca/regions/cra/?p=2.list[/quote]

Thank you so much 'Soggy"!!

One thing you may wish to consider, especially if you have health issues, is the air quality of your prospective new town. Most pulp mill towns have horrific air quality for long stretches of the summer/winter due to lack of winds and sunny skies and while you may love the weather that I just described, it won’t be all that grand if you can’t get outside to enjoy it.

Quesnel, Prince George, Williams Lake and other mill towns struggle with this.

Salmon Arm is nice, the shopping in that area has gotten better and I think there is some kind of transit service. Just remember that it’s a long drive to any other major centers and the highway heading east can be treacherous.

Revelstoke and Fernie are both very pretty towns. But unless you are a big fan of snow (20+ feet on average in Fernie annually) and are willing to spend the kind of bucks on the limited shopping that resort-style towns face, I would not advise either of them. Also, real estate prices can be an issue, I recall noticing that the average home sale in Fernie is around $350,000 plus.

Go North, try Whitehorse, Dawson City, Yellowknife. All very beautiful.

[quote=“Saffron”]

Salmon Arm is nice, the shopping in that area has gotten better and I think there is some kind of transit service. Just remember that it’s a long drive to any other major centers and the highway heading east can be treacherous.

Revelstoke and Fernie are both very pretty towns. But unless you are a big fan of snow (20+ feet on average in Fernie annually) and are willing to spend the kind of bucks on the limited shopping that resort-style towns face, I would not advise either of them. Also, real estate prices can be an issue, I recall noticing that the average home sale in Fernie is around $350,000 plus.[/quote]

There are daily city connector buses from Enderby-Salmon Arm, Enderby-Vernon and Vernon-Kelowna which can extend your range if you have no car.

I have lived in the Naniamo to Parksville area for 10 + years and loved it on the island. great summers milder winters than here in the north, Naniamo has great bus services through out the city and to the ferries also. As for the cost of living, the rent is more expensive a bit but all other amenities are cheaper too, everything from food to clothing etc… so that offsets the higher cost of rent. hope this helps, vancouver island is gem

I personally like the Salmon Arm, Enderby, Armstrong and Vernon corridor. We have been trying to decide which of these areas would be a good place to retire down the road and have been looking at property in these areas.

This article from last year might help (sorry if it was already posted)

ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca … 5/20100505

The list has changed for this year but Campbell River, Quesnel, Williams Lake and Port Alberni are still on the list.

moneysense.ca/tag/best-places-to-live-2011/

Full list here
list.moneysense.ca/rankings/best … sc1=0&d1=a

Curiously, Victoria is the only BC city that cracks the top 25:

list.moneysense.ca/rankings/best … d1=a&sc1=0

This article from last year might help (sorry if it was already posted)

ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca … 5/20100505

The list has changed for this year but Campbell River, Quesnel, Williams Lake and Port Alberni are still on the list.

moneysense.ca/tag/best-places-to-live-2011/

Full list here
list.moneysense.ca/rankings/best … sc1=0&d1=a

Curiously, Victoria is the only BC city that cracks the top 25:

list.moneysense.ca/rankings/best … d1=a&sc1=0

Wow, that was eye-opening! Thank you for the links and I see that Norfolk (Simcoe) where we are headed is ranked 174 out of 180! Back to researching Vernon, ranked 49 ! Quesnel, Port Alberni, Campbell R. and Powell R., Rupert and Terrace all ranked 163 on down ! OUCH !!

Vernon is a nice place to live but rentals are hard to come by and very expensive too. Also, not pet friendly.

Even though I posted these links for your information, I don’t think you should use them as primary decision making tools.

I don’t live in Prince Rupert anymore. Despite the ranking, I really liked living there. We moved away to get closer to our families. I now work in and live near one of the top ten cities and, honestly, I don’t feel it that much.

If I were still in BC and wanted to move, Campbell River would certainly be near the top of my list, probably with other communities on Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast. I travelled to many parts of BC when I was there and these two areas stuck with me as the kind of places where I would like to live.

Good luck.

I lived in nanoose bay for some time and absolutely loved it… but its not cheap.

yeah much of the island is stunningly beautiful…Nanoose Bay looks lovely when i have been through it. I am not a Nanaimo fan at all, but the island is a gem, Campbell River South that is…

[quote=“jamesbrown”]

yeah much of the island is stunningly beautiful…Nanoose Bay looks lovely when i have been through it. I am not a Nanaimo fan at all, but the island is a gem, Campbell River South that is…[/quote]

Nanaimo is great for shopping, groceries etc. I did all my shopping in nanaimo and would leave immediately because I cant stand junkies.

I moved away from PR in the 80’s and ended up in the Kamloops area. It is very diverse here. Desert, lakes, alpine, skiing, forests, and a ton of outdoor recreation. You can travel in any direction and have a different view. It can get quite hot in the summers but there are four distinct seasons. North of Kamloops it can get quite cold in the winter but it depends what a person wants. It takes less than 4 hours to get to downtown Vancouver via the Coquihalla Hwy. The Salmon Arm area is beautiful. It is a personal favorite activity to grab the camera and take a back road through the many small communities and have lunch in Salmon Arm. Where to live… it would depend what you are really looking for, laid back, city life, affordability, and health…

If, and that is a big IF! I had the choice to move it would be ANYWHERE BUT HERE!!!

Given your name ‘Green Bastard’,my first thought was that you may be an environmentalist.
However with your post as to where you want to live and earn a living I am having second thoughts.
An environmentalist would love Prince Rupert since we got rid of our biggest employer that was
polluting our environment. We now have clean air and clean water, if not a lot of employment.
Green must mean green with envy for people who live in more desirable areas.
All I can say is follow your dream to a better place; I wish you luck if you ever do leave.