Where is this? #23

heh.

This place does hold *some *historical significance. I tried not to be too obscure but I see that I should have been a bit grander in my scale. :wink:

Hint: ~Rock the boat, donā€™t rock the boat baby~

Hereā€™s the clues so far.

This place has some major cultural significance even though it might be murky for some.

Hint: Culture is a warm pub.

Hint: One for the road, bottoms up.

Hint: Keep on truckin. (symbolic)

hint: ā€œUp shit creek without a paddle.ā€

This site has seen many travellers.

s

Yale.

nope.

s

Okay, how about Lillooet; start of the Gold Rush Trail, near Mount Brew and Mount Stein.

No.

s.

Itā€™s not Hellā€™s Gate is it?

This puzzle is beyond Hope! I got in a Spuzzum trying to solve it reading the Lyttony of clues. I think Iā€™m just gonna Chilliwack for awhile and drink a nice cold Yale!

Hells gate? Nope.

Love your puns Thumb. Good stuff. :smile:

Hint: God save the Queen.

s.

fraserbasin.bc.ca/regions/im ā€¦ image1.jpg

Mt. Robson?

You know, thatā€™s a great image. :smile:

butā€¦ no.

One more guess.

Hint:

That was what I was thinking first glance at the pic, five finger rapids? But itā€™s on the Fraser somewhere and now that all the guesses are used up I HAVE TO KNOW itā€™s eating away at meā€¦ itā€™s probably some obscure part of the damn river back from the highway or there was a section around Quesnel where paddlewheelers could run. I think it was Soda Creek to Yale they couldnā€™t runā€¦
next person in PG owes Steph a shooter at the Penetrator for stumping us!

I did try to make it somwehere culturally relevant. heh

It is somewhere away from the highway. :smile:

s.

Okay, letā€™s get it over with. Is it Big Bar Creek?

I ruled out big bar creek when steph responded this site was not at the confluence with another tributary. But this was a great game, I never looked at so many damn maps of the fraser before, Iā€™ll buy your drink of choice when you know the date youā€™re coming this way PM me.

Yeah, Iā€™m not really sure about Big Bar Creek either. Iā€™m just so frustrated with trying to figure it out that I wanted to get the last question in so we could finally find out where this place is.

I donā€™t share the ā€œgreat gameā€ comment. Granted I like aerial shots better, I think that the new kind of pictures posted create more confusion. When I posted the church for the previous game, I thought about cropping the picture differently and putting the lower building instead. I bet you guys would still be searching for it even thought the location was well known ( red light district of Amsterdam). MiGā€™s pics of Goat Island was like that and if it wasnā€™t for a few more hints (skyline, white police boat), we would still be looking for that. Now this B&W pic is poor quality and the event doesnā€™t seem to be well known. MiG mentionned to me ( we work together) that he thought that this could be a picture of the location where the sternwheelers couldnā€™t go anymore before the picture of the wheel was posted but we tried Hellā€™s Gate and Boston Bar. So it canā€™t be that.
Honestly, Chaos, Iā€™m happy that you are enjoying this game but I personnally have lost interest in searching because all the things that I thought were plausible ended up being wrong and I donā€™t have anything anymore. To each his own I guess.
I sure hope that Illywhacker is right.

Thumb.

Iā€™m sorry for being so obscure. :smile: Iā€™ll make it a bit easier next time.

Big Bar? Nope.

Here it is. Itā€™s Fort George Canyon.

http://www.openingnewcaledonia.ca/icons/P989.1.2.jpg

Info.

Between 1863 and 1921 a total number of 12 paddlewheelers traveled the Upper Fraser River between Soda Creek and Tete Jaune Chache, which is a little town where the rive flows out of the Rocky Mountains. The BX was the best paddlewheeler to travel on. Some people were superstitious that this paddlewheeler would not be so good because it was launched into the river on Friday the 13th in May of 1910. Most people were wrong about he BX because it became the best paddlewheeler to travel on. The BX was the best because its structure was built to go through the rapids easier than other paddlewheelers and it was on of the fanciest to eat and sleep in. The BX was nicknamed Ć¢ā‚¬Å“Queen of the NorthĆ¢ā‚¬

Now onto the connections within my hints.

This place has some major cultural significance even though it might be murky for some.

The fraser is the murky reference.

Hint: Culture is a warm pub.

A very popular pub in Prince George is the BX. It is named after the sternwheeler.

Hint: One for the road, bottoms up.

Bottoms up is the hint, referring to the ship sinking, and to the pub.

Hint: Keep on truckin. (symbolic)

While the sternwheelers were running the only way that many heavy goods were shippped was by boat. The connection to rigs is a tip of the hat.

hint: ā€œUp shit creek without a paddle.ā€

A hint to Paddleboats as well as a reference to the crash.

This site has seen many travellers.

It hasā€¦

God save the Queen.

Queen of the north that isā€¦

This is a paddlewheel of a decomissioned/destroyed sternwheeler.

Thanks for playing folks. That was fun.

Steph

Holy obscurity, Batman!

Ah! I was just about to guess that! 8)