Where is this? #21

Another place:

A couple of historical events here, but nothing spectacular. More known for its geographic location, etc.

According to the myth, would water circulate in the oposite direction than ours when flushed down a toilet?

yes.

Is this Lord Howe Island? ( I know I might be wasting a question but what the heck!)

No. 18.

On the same theme, is this an island?

If so, is it a volcanic island?

[quote=“TranscendingRationality”]On the same theme, is this an island?

If so, is it a volcanic island?[/quote]

Yes island.

Yes, formed by volcano.

Is this picture of a caldera left behind from a large composite volcano eruption?

If so, was the blast large enough to be heard/felt on other continents?

Woah, I have no idea.

I think the island was formed a long time ago.

Can you look into whether it’s a composite cone volcano or not?

Here’s the wikipedia entry for it. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcano#Types_of_volcanoes Since I know you like wikipedia :wink:

I’m pretty sure from the picture that it’s a composite cone volcano, but it could be a shield valcano eroded away by the ocean. Knowing which one it is eliminates a huge number of possibilities.

I think you could eliminate more possibilities by asking about language and stuff… but I’ll look into it.

From what I can gather, the island was formed by Pyroclastic flows around 10,000 years ago. There is an example of a cone on the island, but I’m not sure if it is this photo or not. Looks like erosion, yes.

Do the people who live near this island speak Filipino?

No.

Some more volcano stuff (I’m just copying and pasting here, dunno what it means…) :

There is an example of a stratovolcano here, and a pyroclastic cone constructed from lava flows. Also mention of phonolitic lava domes.

Were there any people living close to the volcano when it formed this island?

Hard to say, really. Don’t know when it was formed, don’t know what you mean by “close.”

But I’d probably go with “no”.

[quote=“MiG”]

No.

Some more volcano stuff (I’m just copying and pasting here, dunno what it means…) :

There is an example of a stratovolcano here, and a pyroclastic cone constructed from lava flows. Also mention of phonolitic lava domes.[/quote]

A stratovolcano is a composite cone volcano (if Geography 12 serves me right). My line of thinking is that what we were seeing is the remenants, or Caldera, of a composite cone volcano (which are unstable and lead to huge, violent eruptions) that had exploded in the distant past. When a large composite cone volcano erupts you can feel the effects (to some minute degree) on the opposite side of the world! But anyway, probably the wrong direction to be heading.

Close as in close enough that people living close to it were caught up in the fallout from the eruption and killed. IE Pompii.

Mmmm, I dunno, someone else ask some questions.

I suck at the vulcanology. Live long and prosper.

Ilha da Trindade, Brazil

http://www.google.ca/search?hs=hHY&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=phonolitic+lava+domes+island&btnG=Search&meta=

Talking about calderas, check out this one:
http://www.btinternet.com/~sa_sa/amsterdam/amsterdam.html

http://www.btinternet.com/~sa_sa/amsterdam/images/caldera.jpg

OK Transcending, since you did all the work, why don’t you post the next one.

Ahh poo. I gave too much away.