Where is this? 15

Does this nation use the same currency as a bunch of other nations?

No

4 left

Was a scientific discovery made in this place?

Things we know so far…

• not involved in a TV show
  • not in fresh water
  • not in Australia
  • historically significant (according to bigthumb, others may disagree)
  • not used as explosives testing ground
  • not part of English-speaking nation
  • island not inhabited, but archipelago is inhabited
  • not in southern hemisphere
  • ownership not contested
  • not involved in a conflict
  • elements of discovery when event happened at this place
  • not part of Spanish-speaking nation
  • not named after a saint
  • not related to discovery in field of biology
  • not in a monetary union with other nations (ie: does not use Euro)

This has to be the hardest one yet. I’ve spent way too much time looking at a lot of islands, but they’ve all somehow failed the tests…

Can I get a clarification here? When you say “field of biology”, that includes the fields of botany and zoology, right?

Does this place have an unusually long winter compared to our own?

Heh, at this late stage of the game, every question is crucial. So instead, I’m trying to answer my own questions with Wikipedia to see if they conflict with any of the established qualifications.

I really wanted to say somewhere in the Galapagos Islands, but Ecuador’s official language is Spanish, and official currency is the U.S. dollar.

Yes. Let me clarify some things. The original event was historical and some scientists got a real interest in it. After the fact, and to this day, other types of scientists have been interested by this and some of them are in the field of biology. But it isn’t the Galapagos.

Hard to say. From my research, the location of this place makes climate patterns similar to Prince Rupert with probably more snow but I can’t say for sure. Now, the nation has places with colder climate.

2 questions left.

Wow, just in under the limit!

users.zetnet.co.uk/johnfirth/h0803.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surtsey

Surtsey is a volcanic island off the southern coast of Iceland. At 63.4 N,20.3 W, it is also the southernmost point of Iceland. It was formed in a volcanic eruption which began 130 metres below sea level, and reached the surface on 14 November 1963. The eruption may have started a few days earlier and lasted until 5 June 1967, when the island reached its maximum size of 2.7 km². Since then, wind and wave erosion has seen the island steadily diminish in size: as of 2005 it is only 1.4 km² in size.

I’d like to thank the academy, my parents, and a certain Illywhacker for pointing me North.

[quote=“MiG”]Wow, just in under the limit!

users.zetnet.co.uk/johnfirth/h0803.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surtsey

Surtsey is a volcanic island off the southern coast of Iceland. At 63.4 N,20.3 W, it is also the southernmost point of Iceland. It was formed in a volcanic eruption which began 130 metres below sea level, and reached the surface on 14 November 1963. The eruption may have started a few days earlier and lasted until 5 June 1967, when the island reached its maximum size of 2.7 km². Since then, wind and wave erosion has seen the island steadily diminish in size: as of 2005 it is only 1.4 km² in size.

I’d like to thank the academy, my parents, and a certain Illywhacker for pointing me North.[/quote]

Excellent.

[quote=“BigThumb”]

Good question but NO!

11[/quote]

Ha! Now I know why it’s a good question:

One interesting event early in the island’s life was the landing of three French journalists representing the magazine Paris Match on 6 December 1963. They stayed for about 15 minutes before violent explosions encouraged them to leave. The journalists jokingly claimed French sovereignty over the island, but Iceland quickly asserted that the new island belonged to it, having appeared in Icelandic territorial waters.

[quote=“MiG”]

Ha! Now I know why it’s a good question:

One interesting event early in the island’s life was the landing of three French journalists representing the magazine Paris Match on 6 December 1963. They stayed for about 15 minutes before violent explosions encouraged them to leave. The journalists jokingly claimed French sovereignty over the island, but Iceland quickly asserted that the new island belonged to it, having appeared in Icelandic territorial waters.[/quote]

Did you check the history of Ferdinandea, a similar island near Sicily?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinandea

How embarassing this must have been!

Aw, man. I was going to guess Surtsey, but wasn’t sure if I was going to waste a question/guess.

I was looking at my Scholastic Canada Atlas of the World, page 28, and I thought that something on there looked an awful lot like the “Where Is This” on this forum, and it was a picture of Surtsey.

“When the volcanic eruptions that created Surtsey finally stopped, the island’s tip reached more than 170m (644 ft) above the sea. Surtsey is named after an Icelandic god of fire.”