What's with all the police cars?

If anyone got shot/killed then I send my condolences to their families…

And as a bit of an aside, anyone that has a ‘close call’ with a vehicle because of headphones/earbuds/anything else that can impede hearing ability - then they deserve it.  It’s like Darwin (IMO) - survival of the fittest.

[quote=“kaleid”]
And as a bit of an aside, anyone that has a ‘close call’ with a vehicle because of headphones/earbuds/anything else that can impede hearing ability - then they deserve it.  It’s like Darwin (IMO) - survival of the fittest. [/quote]

Looked both ways before entering the clearly marked crosswalk.  No traffic at all.  By the time I’m half-way across, a police car speeding very fast on 2nd Avenue almost hits me.  Luckily I heard the siren and got out of the way.

What if I was deaf?  Still Darwin?  Or maybe police shouldn’t speed like crazy on downtown streets with lots of pedestrians.

I’m now wondering if billy is the source for ALL the rumours in PR. :imp:

If something that bad had happen, It would have been on a news update on Ch. 7, and on the radio.
Hey Billy…what xbox game ya playing dood.

This happened to me twice, halfway across the crosswalk, the first car stops but the one behind him drives around and through the crosswalk.  It freaked me out as I actually was able to touch his hood as he sped by, so there is me screaming like a banshee and then did the old look around and see if anyone noticed me routine  :blush:. Scary, so be careful of the crosswalk by the BMO, horrible, look both ways and then RUN for your life  !!

Absolutely right! Its a dangerous corner, especially when the afternoon sun is in your face. You also have the buses turning left onto 2nd.Ave. from 3rd. Street.The traffic light should be at that intersection instead of the one at the foot of 4th Street.

i love the people who wear all black at night and cross the street and without even looking go to the next crosswalk and cross the next street and get mad at you because you should have assumed they were gonna use both crosswalks lol

yes so true that cross walk should have a light I have seen someone also get hit the driver stepped on his breaks just in time. and also I have seen people just walk out on the cross walk with out looking both ways I am so afraid especially when I have my kids with me I always tell them to walk close to me and on the side of me where the cars are not coming to them they would hit me first if it were to hapeen.

and yes ppl walking around at night wearing all black whats up with that its just an invite they want to get hit and some of them are not even using the side walk they walk on the streets

If you were deaf, what the hell would you be wearing earbuds/headphones for then?  All I’m trying to say is that if people are being a little oblivious to the world around them then they shouldn’t get all uppity when something like this happens.  If the officer was blaring the siren and laying on the horn, what else would you like him to do?  I’m not saying that they should have every right to hit a pedestrian when responding to an emergency, I’m saying that BOTH cops and the public have a certain amount of responsibility when things like this happen.  I’m going to guess that if you didn’t have reduced hearing (re: headphones/earbuds/whatever the hell you were wearing) then you wouldn’t have been in the middle of the road because you would have HEARD sirens and a horn. 

[quote=“kaleid”]
I’m going to guess that if you didn’t have reduced hearing (re: headphones/earbuds/whatever the hell you were wearing) then you wouldn’t have been in the middle of the road because you would have HEARD sirens and a horn.  [/quote]

Nope, I wasn’t listening to loud music, either.  Just a normal talk podcast.  I can hear my own footsteps, and the normal sounds. 

Not my fault the police decided to speed through downtown.  They weren’t speeding through downtown when I entered the crosswalk. 

The situation would have been just the same if I had not been wearing anything, and had perfect hearing.  I would have started crossing the street, no sign of any traffic, and then had to move out of the way of a speeding police car. 

What if I had no headphones on, but was pushing a baby stroller?  What if I had no headphones on, but was in a wheelchair?

My hearing had nothing to do with it.  They were just driving a lot faster than I thought would be safe in a downtown area.  Perhaps they should have run the siren a bit longer before speeding up so much.

I know the older guy at the next crosswalk really seemed caught off guard too, and stumbled to get out of the way.  He wasn’t wearing headphones.

[quote=“MiG”]
  All I’m trying to say is that if people are being a little oblivious to the world around them then they shouldn’t get all uppity when something like this happens.[/quote]

I wasn’t oblivious.  There was no sign (or sound) of the car when I entered the intersection.

I wasn’t getting “all uppity” either.

And in my opinion, the police shouldn’t be a “little oblivious” to the fact that there are pedestrians in a downtown core.  Maybe they could learn a thing or two from the firefighters who have their siren on from the moment they leave the firehouse.  There’s a reason they do that.

Didn’t the police car have its sirens on when it passed you in the crosswalk? The reason firefighters have their sirens on the moment they leave the firehouse is because they have the luxury of leaving from the firehouse. For all you know the cop turned the sirens on the moment he or she got the call… just bad timing, it seems.

Yeah, I think that’s the point I was trying to make.  Perhaps they shouldn’t have done the speed they were doing in an area known to have a lot of pedestrians (including kids in strollers and older people etc.) without having the siren on well in advance.  You know, maybe take it normal speed for a bit until it was clearly safe.

That zone on 2nd Ave has a blind hill as well.

To be fair, this is the only time I’ve ever seen a police car drive this fast in Prince Rupert.  It’s probably a new guy, probably hasn’t really had that many high speed calls.  That’s the kind of stuff that comes with experience.

Even if he hit you he would have just planted a stapler and called it self defense.