What to watch on the tube?

So now I have 430 channels instead of 12. What to watch??? Any suggestions?
Lost doesn’t resume until January!!!

Get a Tivo already – what are these channels you speak of :wink:  ?

Like 50 CBCs, 50 CTVs, 40 Globals, etc. etc…
Watched the premier of “Chuck”, about a guy who has all the CIA and NSA secrets downloaded into his head… bah… won’t make it to Christmas.
But I get PBS now, so I watched The War! Beats Mythbuster reruns…

I like watching Andy and Jamie blow up semi-trailers…fun stuff:-)

There’s a lot of great TV out there, but most of it is junk… so you need to have some way to filter out all the junk.

Seriously, consider a home-brew TiVo hack, or a mythtv or something like that.  It helps.  When I sit down to watch TV, my favourite shows are there waiting for me, rather than me waiting for my favourite shows.

It’s Adam, not Andy.

But everyone just watches Mythbusters for Kari, right?

Adam’s on Metafilter, and he often posts questions and answers on there.  If you look carefully, you can see a metafilter sticker in the background in some of the shows (look for mefi).  Here’s a metafilter podcast of Matt Haughey of Metafilter interviewing Adam:

metatalk.metafilter.com/13789/Me … -3-is-live

I use MCE with a bell reciever connected via tv tuner card and also have a fta usb that is high def, I tried all the different tv software and found media center’s was the best, the guide for it is the best I have seen compared to the rest, programming is simple enough a young child can do it, if you havenever sen it its certainly worth a look.

TiVo > Media Centre :wink:

Just on interface alone…

you never tried beyond tv did ya, couse it beats MCE, I know as I run both at home, my beyond tv has 3 TV tuner cards if I had 8 PCI slots I could use 8 Tv cards lets see MCE do that, it cant, I dont even think MCE 2005 can do 2 TV Cards. I know for sure it cant do 3, or more

its simple to set up, DUDE can you record the Movie channels with MCE not with Microsoft you cant, not unless you hack it, I can record any station with out interference NO  DRM with beyond TV unlike MCE.

According to the Recorded TV list, Media Center recorded it just fine, but trying to play it back results in the dreaded “Restricted Contentâ€

You should have stuck with Media Center then if it had the sense enough to block that.

[quote=“MiG”]
But everyone just watches Mythbusters for Kari, right?[/quote]

Goddamned Daywalker…

Damn it, you’re right.  I even went to the Mythbuster’s website to check his name…sigh.  I really do like the show and watch it regularly with my 13 year old.
Heh, Kari is an added bonus. :smiley:

Race to Mars on the Discovery Channel was quite good.  The first two hour episode aired on Sunday.  Part two is next Sunday.

All the work and effort by the Networks and The War and Race to Mars are all I’ve watched. Doesn’t seem to be a promo for a new mainstream show that’s caught my interest. There has to be something decent in the lineup.

Heroes  :smiley:  bionic woman, chuck, smallville, reaper, to name a few.

I enjoyed Journeyman, K-ville, and Life.

I did enjoy the Singing Bee until I realized it was just another faux reality show that is totally set up with dorks all pumped up on Redbull and sugar. Oh and Heroes is lame too.

比花还美

在家庭这个避风港,风吹雨打都不足畏惧!
so funny, might not get it here, but my relatives send it to me every 6 months… I laugh so hard

[quote=“Astrothug”]
you never tried beyond tv did ya, couse it beats MCE, I know as I run both at home, my beyond tv has 3 TV tuner cards if I had 8 PCI slots I could use 8 Tv cards lets see MCE do that, it cant, I dont even think MCE 2005 can do 2 TV Cards. I know for sure it cant do 3, or more

its simple to set up, DUDE can you record the Movie channels with MCE not with Microsoft you cant, not unless you hack it, I can record any station with out interference NO  DRM with beyond TV unlike MCE.

According to the Recorded TV list, Media Center recorded it just fine, but trying to play it back results in the dreaded “Restricted Contentâ€[/quote]

you need to reread my post then I didnt say Myth I said beyond tv.
snapstream.com/

they don’t need to have the built in hardware mpeg so you can go with cheaper cards TV Turner . I can use there remote or MCE remote I can use the IR with Satellite and in fact have, I can have multi tv turner cards and do, I have also a HD card.

this beats it all…Plus I can cap In divx, mpeg and not that Shit microsoft  DMR mpeg LOL….you keep your fricken box, Like I said I use both but the snapstream  beyond tv beats it all

I will post pictures tonight. of my baby.

Hardware mpeg is what you want, if you have to use software yer os works much harder, you telling me you want to have 8 capture cards in one box? Why? There is no way yer box can capture from more than two at once with software decoding, unless you have a cray, I didnt think they were affordable yet.  My box uses two percent processor load with hardware decoding, thirty to fourty percent when I set it to software, and thats on a 2.8 gig P4 dual core with two gigs of ram. What codec have you found to be the best with your system? I found Nvidia’s to be the best software decoder for both performance and quality. One of my capture cards is a hauppage pvr 150 so the basteige only works in mce, xp doesnt even recognize the card and writing a driver for it for xp hasnt worked, least not yet.  Where did you buy your tuner cards from? I bought mine from Maxx Electronics in Ont.

Snapstream is a really generous company – you can download beyondtv for a free 21-day trial.

If you need help installing it, they even have a nice step-by-step video tutorial on their site.  As part of that tutorial, the guy demonstrating the installation TYPES IN HIS SERIAL NUMBER.  So if you need a beyondtv serial number, you can grab one directly from the snapstream website! 

Too funny.

Hats off to the guy who showed me this today – not sure if he wants to be anonymous or not!

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]