What kind of voting system do YOU want in BC?

The Citizens Assembly on Electoral Reform are holding public hearings in communities around the province to hear British Columbians’ views on BC’s electoral system.

This is your chance to help shape our political and electoral system - you need to get involved to make your voice heard.

Here are some fact sheets on the types of electoral systems :
http://www.citizensassembly.bc.ca/public/extra/factsheet_intro.xml

and the website for the Citizens Assembly on Electoral Reform
http://www.citizensassembly.bc.ca/

the Public hearing for Prince Rupert is scheduled for Wednesday, June 9th 2004.

put up or shut up, as the saying goes…

The liberals will fight tooth, nail and hair to any sort of suggestions to introduce electoral reform of any shape.

Our current electoral process is what gave them their majority in the Leg in the last election.

The CA can recommend or do whatever in their final report to government at the end of the year but it will be up to the liberals to put that to a referendum come the 2005 election next year.

What if the CA does recommend a change of process, do you think the Libs will acutally put it out a ref come election time like they say they will?

Personally after seeing what Campbell and the rest of the cabinet has been up to since they were elected I dont see them doing it. They have broken election promise after election promise. Whats another broken one to them?

1. The Liberals are not being held accountable, as is supposed to be done in our current process, by the Legislature. Campell with his toe the party line fear that he holds over the Leg this accountablity is not happening. Sure people can yell, jump up and down but when it comes right down to it, when a gov’t controls 99.9% of the seats a saying comes to mind: Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

2. A goverment is supposed to be open. The Liberals are not. They have been caught doing things that are being and have been kept secret from the public that elected them.

Electoral reform is a grand idea but unless the gov’t of the day will acutally follow through with what is recommended by a committee of citizens it will all be for naught. I do not believe they will follow through with any recommendations. They are more likely to bring it “under advisement” than anything.

you heard it here first folks : the situation is hopeless, intractable, dire, and dead already.

instead. be sure to tune into Survivor Phillippines where the mangococo tribe will attempt to eat steamed monkey shit for the privelidge of several q-tips - but will daryl share the rice? oh the intrigue.

how can you have a ‘citizen’s committee’ that’s appointed by the Liberals. I’ve noticed some people with absolutely no political experience being appointed, just to make things look democratic, and lots who are quite savvy left off.

Remember the hearings about the Charlottetown accord and the Gun registration? If you agreed with the government’s position you got 2 hours to speak, if you opposed you got the bum’s rush if you even dared to show up. Well here’s another edition. It is almost as good as SURVIVOR but there you can’t get put in jail for not eating the monkey shit.

Here’s how it is to me.

The Liberals are in power.
My life seems pretty good.
Therefore, I have no qualms with said Liberals.

Venting your political frustrations on hackingthemainframe.com (which, admittedly, is a neo-anarchistic underground website) and leaving it at that is just as vaporous as a broken campaign promise.

if I wanted to vent my political frustrations I’d carry on about how I’ve been thwarted at every turn from becoming Supreme Dictator and OVerlord of the English speaking world. I even promised to be benevolent!

In the meantime let anarchy rule!!!

I only voted to get on the jury duty list. I haven’t been called yet :frowning:

[quote=“Eso”]Here’s how it is to me.

Venting your political frustrations on hackingthemainframe.com (which, admittedly, is a neo-anarchistic underground website) and leaving it at that is just as vaporous as a broken campaign promise.[/quote]

I thought you were the communist? You and your eastern bloc comrads. :laughing:

Those sneaky fucking russians…

[quote=“Eso”]Here’s how it is to me.

[/quote]

So you dont care if your gov’t lies, cheats and steals? I just dont think electoral reform will work. The current system has become entrenched to deeply.

I dont know what will work, but when the gov’t in power just legislates new rules to get around something that was legislated and put into law that just stinks.

Take for example the whole avian flu epidemic. By laws and legislation, enacted by the province the Cache Creek dump was just for plain regular garbage. Not for burying dead chickens, or any type of animal waste, chemicals etc.

This has been in place since that dump opened years ago. Now to get around their own laws, set down by the provincial govt at the time, the liberals just rewrote the law and rules so they could dump the dead chickens there. Same thing they did with the teachers contract, health care etc. Just create new rules, laws etc to get around the old ones.

Now some of those things have come back to bite them in the ass. I think enough people now feel disenfranchised (you not included it seems) by the Liberals that they are going to lose seats come next election.

[quote]
Venting your political frustrations on hackingthemainframe.com (which, admittedly, is a neo-anarchistic underground website) and leaving it at that is just as vaporous as a broken campaign promise.[/quote]

I vote. I’m not political. I dont have the time nor the inclination. I like to vent, and if its as vapourous as a broken promise well so be it.

I registered the domain bcliberalssuck.ca for a while and put up some whacko shit and damned if a few hits didnt come from some IP’s registered to the BC govt. As well as more than a few from some company that seemed to specialize in public relations for govt’s and corporations. I thought that kind of odd at first then looking over their web site and seeing what they did I realized they probably worked for the liberals in some capacity.

Someone has bcliberalssuck.com but I think it came up again a while ago. They never did anything with it though. I should register it again. I just didnt have enough time to work on it and keep it updated.

Hahaha ass.

Clinton = The Man

This electoral reform thing surely has some hidden agenda. Like someone mention earlier in the thread, the Liberals are not about transparency and accountability. So this is another facade put up by them do actually achieve something else. Kinda like how their treaty referendum questions were all skewed.

what is the point to this?

VOTE FOR THE MARIJUANA PARTY!!

Pot, weed, drugs!

DRUGS ARE GOOD KIDS!

You’re a moron.

[quote=“WonderMike”]

You’re a moron.[/quote]

You’re a fag!
Get down and start sucking.

Shit man, did you just “pwnd” me? I’m humbled.

I’m not usually a conspiracy guy but I just had something a little coincidental happen.

The fellow who started this thread: sebastes pinniger, which incidently is the latin name for a species of rock cod, entitiled it:

What kind of voting system do YOU want in BC?

Now I just recieved a forwarded email, complete with who it was from:

From: Belsey.MLA, Bill [mailto:Bill.Belsey.MLA@leg.bc.ca]
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 2:04 PM
Subject: What kind of voting system do YOU want in BC?

Now the exact same subject line appears in this mail, and is the exact same title of this thread, which appeared days before getting this email.

Is Bill Belsey posting to HTMF as sebastes pinniger? And notice that they did not post again after all the negative comments? MiG: whats the IP of Mr. sebastes pinniger?

Hey,

BillBelsey (who used to post here) and Sebastes Pinniger both have the same IP. Of course BillBelsey is not to be confused with Bill Belsey.

[quote=“MiG”]Hey,

BillBelsey (who used to post here) and Sebastes Pinniger both have the same IP. Of course BillBelsey is not to be confused with Bill Belsey.[/quote]

Bah…so there goes my conspiracy theory! Damn!