What is a Living Wage in Prince Rupert?

I love being self-employed! Although I do miss the regular paychecks that come from “working for the man”  :smiley: I find it makes my life easier knowing how much money is coming in. 
Unfortunately its impossible to survive on that alone, so I my husband works and I operate the store.
The last “real” job I had was a few years ago, I made $11/hr at Instaloans screwing low income ppl out of their money…I didnt last long :smile:

As for the dude that make 50k a month and is still complaining…can I have his address so I can give him a swift kick in the ass??  Some people just need a reality check :stuck_out_tongue:

Somebody else has a secret coke habit.  Seriously if you make 50k/mo and ‘don’t have enough’ it’s because you’re a shallow worthless human being who believes having stuff is what makes life worthwhile.

Tell your friend to get a life.

I tried very hard not to use that word.  :smiley: :imp:

I used it much earlier so don’t feel too bad…  :smiley:

Exactly, and if he’s planning on sending his kids into post secondary…

very true . 140k is a big number to some but split into 2 peoples income its not much. with schooling etc. ive thought about sending my kids to a private school for highschool in addition to post secondary. it adds up quickly

Gary Coons responsed to the BC Budget discussing the needs for Living Wage Jobs:  facebook.com/livingwage

So, if your child is in private school, and you can’t pay the bill, what do they do? Kick the kid out?

Is this in reference to private and independent schools in general, or just Annunciation here in Rupert? Because I know that at Annunciation parents can go to the Priest and get help paying if they know they’re having financial difficulties–but Annunciation is an independent school, I’m not sure how things work with private schools.

Does it require having each family member to kneel in front of the smiling Catholic priest?

Of course not, that’s disgusting!!!

Just the youngest boy…

O.o

Jesus… O_O

To try and bring this post back on topic…

One person no children

Average rent in Rupert is around $600
Average heating bill is around $150
Basic telephone & Cable from shitty… i mean citywest $100
Food (guessing your cooking at home more than going out) $400
total = $1250

Now that doesn’t include gas or bussfare, car payments, clothing etc just the basics…

Now if you work 40hrs a week @ $10/h that’s $1600 a month  You could call that a minimum living wage, but personally i think you need around $2000 a month for a basic living.

I have 2 kids and make around $2400 a month net and we are paying for a house and a car, we have enough money for food and clothing, we can go to movies or out for dinner once or twice a week, I’d say we live a comfortable life. Now if we need to replace the roof on our house or drop $10k on a new transmition for our car I would have to charge it…

heating for 150?!?!? sweet I’ll take that!!
I pay 280 to png and 62.50 to hydro.  Its disgusting!!! And I’m on budget payments!

hes talking about a single person but i thin kit would be less with a single person being in a apartment or having a roommate nowadays

That would be $1600 gross.  Deduct income tax, CPP, EI etc. 

Another monthly expense would be MSP $57/month for single person possibly less if they applied for premium assistance.

Does rental include laundry or need to feed $$'s into a machine?

Does $400 food include cleaning supplies, laundry stuff, toiletries, toilet tissue, light bulbs, all the non-edible things in the cart?

Any pets that need to be fed?

What about bank account fees? 

Any presciption drugs being taken on a regular basis?

Do they have insurance for their household effects?  Extended health insurance?  life insurance?

None of these things are luxuries; but basics for most folks.