What else would you do with a placenta?

Check this out:

‘Crocodile Hunter’ fan says he’ll feed his son’s placenta to goannas
00:13:52 EDT Sep 26, 2006
Canadian Press
BRISBANE, Australia (AP) - An Australian man who says “Crocodile Hunter” Steve Irwin shaped his love for reptiles said Tuesday he plans to feed the placenta from the birth of his newborn son to his pet goannas, to bring his family closer to the giant lizards.

Wil Kemp, a reptile keeper at the Rockhampton Zoo in northeastern Queensland state, said his second son was born on Sept. 5, the day after a stingray killed Irwin as the famed TV conservationist filmed on the Great Barrier Reef.

Kemp and his fiance Kahila Pepper named the boy Tai Irwin - the former after the taipan snake and the latter after the television star.

Kemp said the couple planned to feed the placenta to their three pet goannas, which live in pits in the family’s backyard, after a homecoming gathering on Sunday.

“I think we’ll just break some beers, chuck it in and do it,” said Kemp, 21.

The couple came up with the idea after nurses told them they could take the placenta - the organ that grows in the womb to be the interface for nutrients and blood between mother and fetus that comes out during childbirth - home if they wished.

Personal disposal of the placenta has become a trend, with some couples choosing to give it a symbolic burial and others, in rare cases, eating it in the belief it has health benefits or will strengthen family bonds.

“Me and Kahila got talking and thought 'well if they can eat it and plant it underneath trees, why can’t we feed it to a reptile, and literally bring us closer to them?”’ Kemp said. “I want him (Tai) to get into reptiles.”

Goannas are carnivorous lizards that can grow to around two metres in length.

Kemp said he would be showing Irwin’s television programs to Tai and his other son, 18-month-old Ramsay, and would be thrilled if they followed in Irwin’s footsteps.

© The Canadian Press, 2006

Jesus Christ this is fucked up…i just ate damn lunch too…WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE…god damn…sorry for all the profanity but seriously…YUK

I prefer my placenta with some fava beans and a nice Chianti. :sunglasses:

you should go to the Crest then, that’s what half the food there tastes like anyways…but I think they prefer a Shiraz

Humans eating parts of humans is now acceptable in the western world?

Holy crap what next?  That’s disgusting.

well its not that kosher in the western world but if you dig a little, you will find that some people have tasted the adornments flesh of there fellow human. I’ve tasted the flesh of woman and partaken in the evil, and have to say “I enjoy it  :stuck_out_tongue:”. 

Oh come on. It’s not really that weird. When cats give birth to kittens, the momma cat will eat her kittens’ placenta. Wait. That is natural, what this dude is doing is just plain weird. Stupid people.

I know at least three women who served it with onions as a ‘celebration dinner’. I was even polite enough to respond “are you fucking crazy” when I was invited to one… a bud who wouldn’t eat Chinese food if the clientele was mostly Asian and it might be cat, but eats a freaking placenta…
Or what happens to some people who smoke too much dope: they end up on a commune eating placenta and mung beans, feeding their German shepherd oats…

speaking of disgusting, I just had laser surgery for apnea and snoring and they slice out your uvula (the hangy thing in your throat) and some soft palate with a mini light saber.
The disgusting part is that the Dr wanted me to take it home. He said 90% of patients do, and even whipped out little glass jars of formaldehyde… put it on the mantle as a conversation piece?
Scientifically interesting at the time, but now I have recurring dreams of sitting in a dentist chair tasting and smelling charred steak and staring at this hunk of red meat on a bloody napkin…
Did you puke yet? Wuss, you wouldn’t have lasted ONE night around the campfire in OUR Scout troop…

I think I’d be more grossed out seeing a finger in a jar than a uvula.

Gosh, when you think of it, breastfeeding is a form of cannibalism.

wiat…so were all cannibals then? eats poolboy yay :smiley:

What? How?

Uvula??? Isn’ t that the name that Jerry Seinfeld thought belong to a certain girl when he couldn’t remember her real name but only remembered that it rhymed with part of a female anatomy? 
No wait, that was Mulva!

There’s a Seinfeld episode for every occasion.

As there is a Jerry Springer show for every Trailer Park.

[quote]
Placenta Cocktail

Ingredients:

1/4 cup fresh, raw placenta
8oz V-8 juice
2 ice cubes
1/2 cup carrot

Method: blend at high speed for 10 seconds. Serve. A tasty thirst quencher! [/quote]

Think I’ll stick with contaminated carrot juice…

Agreed!!  That is weird! :astonished:

Placenta Jerky!

[quote]Dehydrating your placenta

Instead of cooking your placenta whole, you can dehydrate it and then add it to meals! The following method is extracted from an article entitled “Thinking About Eating Your Placenta?” by Susan James, which appeared in the winter 1996 issue of “The Compleat Mother”. It was discovered posted on a newsgroup noticeboard, so we cannot absolutely guarantee its authenticity, or that it is an actual verbatim account of the magazine article.

Method:

Cut off the cord and membranes.

Steam the placenta, adding lemon grass, pepper and ginger to the steaming water. The placenta is “done” when no blood comes out when you pierce it with a fork.

Cut the placenta into thin slices (like making jerky) and bake in a low-heat oven (200-250 degrees F), until it is dry and crumbly (several hours).

Crush the placenta into a powder - using a food processor, blender, mortar and pestle, or by putting it in a bag and grinding it with rocks.

Put the powder into empty gel caps (available at drug and health food stores) or just add a spoonful to your cereal, blender drink, etc.

The recommended doses vary, some suggest up to 4 capsules a day, others just one. Perhaps the best advice is to take what makes you feel good[/quote]