What distro are you running?

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Thx, wanted to grab Mandriva One iso, but forgot when I was at the E10…
just set up a 24db grid shooting thru a narrow window and thru Sherwood bloddy Forest, but I can live with 490KB until daylight.[/quote]

No problem, you’re very welcome :smiley: Mandriva is awesome, I run that on my Apache web sever!

Okay, so I’ve been very bored lately waiting for Slackware 11.0 to be released. I thought I’d give Gnome on Slackware a try. So I fired up my konsole and used lynx to download, install Freerock Gnome 2.12.3. Patrick eliminated Gnome from Slackware in version 10.1, but, you can download and install Gnome from freerock. Everything seems to work okay except there is no printer icon set-up which is really stupid (thankfully gnome kept my KDE printer settings). I’ll most likely be reverting back to KDE when 11.0 is released.
This isn’t too bad I guess.  :smiley:

I’m pretty much addicted to this Mandriva stuff here.  I run 4 web servers, 3 of them are on Mandriva, 1 is Ubuntu.

The CHSS Linux server (for the thin client project) is running Ubuntu.

I don’t run a desktop Linux at all, otherwise.  It’s all Mac OS X for me :wink:

Mandriva is an awesome distro! :smiley:  I ran a server with Mandriva 2006 for a month or two and liked it a lot.  I’m running Ubuntu on one of my Linux boxes it functions very well.  btw, Ubuntu 6.06 is being released on June 1st, it looks to be very good indeed.  I also really like OS X, Unix rocks:-)

FEKK! They sent me ECS mobos instead of WinFast, same chipset but slightly different SiS video and Ubuntu runs like shit. Downloading 6.06RC cuz I can’t find my Mandriva CD…

Is there a Mandriva Live CD that I can try out on a really old Dell Craptop?

It has 192 megs of RAM, PIII.  Currently, I just use it a NoMachine Thin Client, but it would be nice to be able to run Linux natively.

Actually, you know what would rock?  A USB Key Distro that you didn’t have to build and configure.  Instead of a live-CD it would be a live USB key. 

Unfortunately all the usual small linux distros seem to take a bit of work to run off a USB key.

I’m gonna try DSL linux right now.

Actually what is really cool is, i used to work for a company working on photocopier’s When going to the court house to work on any machines they give you a usb key… On the key is windows xp pro… with some hacks from the networking admin ( logging software and stuff )  On the key is your whole os with all the software you need… All the machines at this company have the os on a keychain. They run one single app at this place so windows xp runs pretty neat & fast off a usb stick… Different levels of tech have more memory etc etc. It was pretty sweet. Secure as hell… each key has a unique code on it and only those codes that are registered on each group of computers would work… so if you copied a key to gain access it would not work. Pretty slick.

This thin client stuff you talking about mig is it compaq clients or hp’s ?

I’ve never tried DSL, but, it is small, light and fast.  The whole OS is 50 MB if memory serves. :smiley:

I’m running Ubuntu on a Pll 266 at work with 192 MB RAM, it runs okay.  The unit has enough RAM to run Linux:-)  There is Mandriva One, a live CD.  I’m not sure what the processor, RAM requirements are to run the live cd.

mandriva.com/en/community/mandrivaone

Just a short note for Ubuntu users.  Ubuntu 6.06, the final version, is set to be released on Thursday, June 1st. 
This is an enterprise level distribution that will be supported for three years. :smiley:

check my post in Linux laptop thread. RC2 has gotta be the best ‘average user’ distro yet

Thanks for the heads up, man:-)  I’ll be getting 6.06 for sure.  It sounds awesome. :smiley:

Ubuntu 6.06 is up on some North American mirrors, but, they’re getting clobbered so badly that they  are mostly unusable.  I’m downloading 6.06 from Sweden right now at 180 kb/sec.  You’re right herby!  I’m going to wait a day or two before I install.  Mirrors in Canada don’t have 6.06 yet at this time, they still have RC2. :smiley:

Hrmm, guess The updates went last night I switched to the US mirrors and well… im up to date

I was able to download, burn 6.06 just fine:-)  I’ll check tonight and see if 6.06 has been released to all mirrors (they’re still showing RC at the Canadian mirrors).  Yes, the US mirrors are up, but, the download speed this morning was terrible. 
I’ll install in a day or two when things settle:-)

190KB/s for me I have been updating twice daily for the past week though :wink:

Cool. 
Okay, I’ll try the install using the US apt repositories after work and see what happens.  Thanks for the feedback.  I hate trying an install only to have the repositories fail on me.
Much appreciated. :smiley:

I’m updating the thin-client server thingie right now.  Hence me surfing the web while I watch a progress bar.

I just went to the ubuntu site and saw that Canada now has 6.06 posted.  I’m heading out in a bit, but, I’ll give the install a try later on tonight.