Web designer needed

Hello,

Am looking for someone to make a proffesional buisness website for me, i will explain all to you who reply to , morashd@gmail.com

Thank you all,

Mauser

Ah, someone not afraid to hire someone else!
I think the most embarrassing thing I had to do was go into the boardroom of a major mill and tell them that in the interest of professionalism (it was an embarrassment on my server) I would make a free ‘coming soon’ page until they budgeted for someone to make them a website.

For three years they had one from a guy ‘learning the internet’ who worked in the planer, complete with a little “I made this site with Crayola (or something like that)” button on the bottom. :unamused:

^ I love seeing that. This guy who was like the best in Canada in his craft asked me to design a site for him, actually it was his friend who called me who saw my work on some other site I made, and anyway, I quoted the guy what I felt was a reasonable price for the utmost extreme basic website he wanted (it wasn’t expensive) and he said it was too late, his buddy made him one for free.

It was just text and images scattered all over a tacky background.

People don’t realize that your website is your digital storefront. You wouldn’t take your product and pile it on the floor inside a warehouse… so why would you have your website look like that?

[quote=“SteveDVS”]^ I love seeing that. This guy who was like the best in Canada in his craft asked me to design a site for him, actually it was his friend who called me who saw my work on some other site I made, and anyway, I quoted the guy what I felt was a reasonable price for the utmost extreme basic website he wanted (it wasn’t expensive) and he said it was too late, his buddy made him one for free.

It was just text and images scattered all over a tacky background.

People don’t realize that your website is your digital storefront. You wouldn’t take your product and pile it on the floor inside a warehouse… so why would you have your website look like that?[/quote]

:laughing: have you been to a walmart/zellers? well at least the one here :unamused: stuff is still in the boxes half the time… especially at christmas.

In this part of BC people (a lot are businessmen) are cheap, uneducated, and especially disrespectful of unfamiliar skills and the arts.
A womsn I know was commissioned to do a sculpture in Calgary for an oil co. head office back in the 80’s. She got $100K and they paid to remove the roof of her apartment twice (to deliver the granite, then remove the statue) and transport it. Go into the head offices here and you’ll see autographed Gretzky prints and tacky art.
A hotel owner here got outright hostile over a quote I gave him to install and program a new digital switchboard. He calculated the labor hours and told me to my face "I don’t even make that much and * I’m a sawfiler at the mill*.
I used to design many sites but hired my current ‘webgurl’ after going through many hotshots who’d take $2,000 in hours to make a one page site that marketed for $159. They all ‘lurned Macromedia’ and would churn out a 10 meg index page for a flower shop that looked like the boot sequence for Doom and took 20 mins to load on a dialup.
Also have a bone of contention with Indian bands who pay for mail and domain hosting then place a really bad site on some freebee US site like Geocities cuz their trainee learned there.

I used Geocities when Geocities was underground.

Back around 94-95, when the web was really starting to hit, I saw that hey maybe I could do web pages and get paid for it.

I started flippin about with some HTML programs and after a while I realized you needed skills I did not have, namely art type stuff.

I dont have an artistic bone in my body and it really showed in some of the things I tried doing. You’d think I was colour blind or something.

I get what goes on under the hood on the programming side of it, but colours, layout and acutally usability of making a site work, well I’m not afraid to say I suck at it and leave it to the professionals.

[quote=“VMS”]Back around 94-95, when the web was really starting to hit, I saw that hey maybe I could do web pages and get paid for it.

I started flippin about with some HTML programs and after a while I realized you needed skills I did not have, namely art type stuff.

I dont have an artistic bone in my body and it really showed in some of the things I tried doing. You’d think I was colour blind or something.

I get what goes on under the hood on the programming side of it, but colours, layout and acutally usability of making a site work, well I’m not afraid to say I suck at it and leave it to the professionals.[/quote]

Did you use frames a little to heavily too? and nice ugly colors that didnt match and those wonderful javascript sidebars? :laughing: :unamused:

I used to make webpages back in the day, around the time that frames first came out, Netscape 2 or 3. When you needed to know HTML. When CGI was still a word, and images maps were processed server-side.

Took a nerd to do that. Now you need mad art skillz, which a lot of us nerds don’t have, and will probably never be able to learn.

Flash sucks. There are better, more efficient ways to do just about everything Flash can do. Web browsing used to be fast on my Celeron 850, but Flash made it suck.

Well all this talk made me realize I needed a promo page made, had no time at work and wanted webgurl to do ugly menial filing and invoicing.
So I whipped something up at home in a couple hours with my favorite Windows web page program, Wordpad.
VoIP promo
Oh right, my art skill is non-existent. Therefore all the graphics are PSP 5 that doesn’t gut my CPU when I run it.

I read that ad there, when are you guys rolling out that VOIP stuff?

VOIP = Fun Stuff :smile: Lot’s of work and lots of information and software etc etc :smile: i think we have 140 Voip numbers and about 35 line’s… and 7 3 min cue’s.

Have an entire rez up here using VoIP, but I’ve been offered the stuff that’ll do personal and small business too. Farms, lodges etc. connected to our wireless system. Also there’s a huge market potential here where a Vancouver phone number would let you call and get calls from all the relatives in SurreyLanka and New Delta for free. (to be fair, all mine in Little Italy too)
I like how I can carry the unit somewhere else and still use it. I know someone took their unit to Mazatlan and is doing tech support from his cabana (cable net there). Way better than sitting in a frozen trailer in Mackenzie for the winter!

Anybody wants to try it, the units go for $95 and the plan rates apply BC wide. Works fine on ADSL unless it gets really loaded down like someone on the same router downloading at the same time. You can also use the Vonage units (same Linksys adapter) and sometimes you can con them cheaper at Future Shop like I con Telus ADSL modems and connect them on another ADSL.

I started making websites in grade 7 and the fun part was the HTML. I got a job at an ISP in grade 8 and HTML was still fun. I took a little time off because I got bored, then I got a graphics program and realized the art side of web design stuff is way more fun. In grade 11 I made $5,000 working a couple hours a week designing things for people all over north america. It’s cool stuff, I’m planning on getting my Bachelor’s Degree in Design and then staying far, far away from the internet :stuck_out_tongue:

Truly, making webpages is a bitch, with how differently things display between IE and Firefox… having to design with 800x600 users in mind, all that junk, it’s just so lame. Print is way cooler and you can be much more creative.

I hope some of you guys have e-mailed the original poster – he’s willing to pay!

He’s a good guy too 8)