War Flying & Network Secuity

License the internet, haha, yes. Then getting your ‘license’ would be quite the game, so theoretically you could beat the internet… or hack the internet.

[quote=“VMS”]It was not your webserver, it was probably an unsecured Sendmail that did it. It was probably setup by default to allow anyone on the internet to relay mail through your machine.

Open Relay…not good.

Yea on this router business…there are too many of them out there that are unsecured. I took a wardrive downtown a few weeks back. Up third to overwaitea, down second, and down where the Elizebeth apts were and found 13 AP’s. 3 of which were WEP’d, the rest were open.

Its too bad that many of them just work out of the box. There should be something that is setup so the first time someone hooks up a wireless router and tries to get online through it the router will redirect them to a setup page to FORCE the user into changing the defaults. At least to change basic stuff like SSID and turn off the SSID broadcasts.[/quote]

That’s A good idea i like that idea. And force them to change there password : O )

Gee I am the only one to vote you should learn things yourself instead of thinking ‘someone else should do it for you’?
Yesterday my techie formatted a system, reinstalled XP, loaded all the updates, put in an updated AdAware and AVG, took it out to the customer and connected them into broadband wireless at 5:00 pm. This morning they were in the office, with their computer at 10:00 a.m. totally irate that it ‘didn’t work already’ and glaring like I was some kind of ripoff asshole.
CoolWebSearch, MyWebSearch, the AVG greyed out, downloaded the ‘you may be infected with spyware (which IS spyware)’ KazAa installed, and the winsock files corrupted. Never even opened Firefox (whazzat? for the 4th time). Fixed it on the desk, they took it home and in 1/2 an hour they were calling over and over demanding instant service because they’d managed to delete their IP address and DNS within seconds of getting their hands on it. Took 45 minutes to explain “right click on My Network Places”

The stupid do not deserve a constitutional amendment to protect their rights. They deserve to be walked over and chewed up like the walking meatloaf they are. And their noses rubbed in their own stupidity, over and over like a puppy’s nose in it’s own shit until it sinks into their encrusted spongiformed addled turdpile of misfiring neurons they have the gall to presume is a brain.
My techie’s not that smart. He’s 20 and might have certs, too dumb to tell the girl he likes her. I’m not that fucking smart. I’m still here trying to teach 2,000 semi-literate loggers for 1/2 what a teacher gets for a class of 40. A customer got me so rattled i walked over to check the plugins on a motherboard and actually took three steps before I remembered that ALL the keyboard plugins are purple and ALL the mouse plugs are green, doh!
But on a good day I will swear before God Almighty the combined IQ of my six best friends and employees exceeds that of the other 5,000 people around here’s copmbined IQ.
Screw it, if you buy a router and get hacked or leeched it’s your won damned fault. If you don’t learn from it yourself and it happens again, I swear I’ll shoot you if I ever see you at a polling booth…

:stuck_out_tongue:

Um, they just want to use a computer.

5 years ago no problem. Now, 2005, problem.

Whose fault is it? User? Same user as 5 years ago…

Honestly, it’s gotten worse, not better. Your average user can’t use a computer anymore without tremendous support.

These average people aren’t doing anything wrong. They’re using Windows EXACTLY AS IT WAS MEANT TO BE USED.

your funny man. You seriously are : O ) You need better tech’s just because they have certifications don’t mean CRAP. For instance A person that got hired at creative when i worked there he spent 15k on MSCE and didn’t know how to run msconfig or winipcfg on windows 98 wow he has a ncie paper saying he is certified but knows NOTHING!! Id hire some one with experience and cert’s not just over cert’s it is so easy to get Microsoft cert’s now and thing you should get a high paying job SUCK IT Microsoft .

The kid I have is not bad. He’s got the certs and needs the experience (and boy is he getting it with these retards up here) and he actually grew up here so he won’t shoot himself out of boredom. In a year he’ll probably move on to the big city where the rent is triple and the wages are 50c higher… :laughing:

sorry man, i was just offered my Mom’s $250,000 condo in Van for the maint. fees only and I still can’t justify living down there… wtf would I do?

If anyone has some decent antennas and a GPS. I would be willing to warfly over PR at the beggining of May, or maybe even end of April. I have a C172 booked from the 24th to the 30th… More than enough time to fly up to Rupert from Kelowna and back, taking the coast route or up through the interior. If not, I’ll still have a little build up time to do on TKs C150… Mind you, it’ll be cramped with 2. Hah.

MiG’s right… You can’t just buya computer without any experience on it and expect to be able to use it anymore… Not a Windows machine anyway. there are far to many exploits and vulnerabilities associated witht he internet. Unless you’ve taken a course or have learned by trial and error over the years that popups, spam, spyware and such are all avoidable and usually are part of a sneaky plan to get 3rd party spyware on your computer, you dont’ stand a chance on the web these days. Same goes with WiFi, in my oppinion. Your neighbour has been stealing internet from your router and you don’t even know it. Maybe you’re over your monthlylimit and are actually paying MORE money becuase youd on’t know any better. OR, one day your get a nasty call or letter from your ISP, Adobe or Micorosoft? Or better yet, the MPAA or someone decides to sue you. It’s you’re fault right, but hardly fair considering Futureshop just sold you all of this stuff with the mindset that it’s safe and reliable.