Wantage Road Garbage

The fact remains that illegal dumping is an ongoing issue on Wantage Road and other places as well. I drove up Rainbow Summit a few years back and was sickened to find someones washing machine and an old couch up there! Some people have absolutely no consideration for others or the environment. I routinely take the kids up Mt. Hays for a drive as well as friends and family when they come to town specifically for the view up there. Too bad they see the view down below first, it’s disgusting! I don’t have an answer as to how to get the point across to these idiots but if something isn’t done, we are going to end up losing access to this area completely!

Terrace is only free for household garbage, not commercial, construction, or appliances, etc.

See here: terrace.ca/documents/public- … s-2011.pdf

Can you explain why you would call Terrace’s landfill a ‘dump’ and Rupert’s dump a ‘landfill’ ?

[quote=“MiG”]

Terrace is only free for household garbage, not commercial, construction, or appliances, etc.

See here: terrace.ca/documents/public- … s-2011.pdf

Can you explain why you would call Terrace’s landfill a ‘dump’ and Rupert’s dump a ‘landfill’ ?[/quote]

obviously because prince Rupert has the efficient process of first dumping your garbage into a bin then carting it off at nice big city union wages so the citizens dont have to actually see where the garbage goes.

Like the decades of garbage burried adjacent to the pile of garbage that started this thread. Out of sight out of mind I guess. Get your head out of your ass or something.

To their credit in Terrace, they at least make Garbage collection rather simple.

terrace.ca/documents/public- … ionMap.pdf

No need to keep track of the stats and move your collection day ahead one or two days after every holiday, Prince Rupert’s has to be one of the most needlessly complicated collection schedules known to man.

topics.info.com/Landfills-and-Dumps_3967

Give Bruce Leslie a call down at the landfill sometime and he’ll clear up a lot of the differences between the two.

Thanks for the link, but what it describes there as a “landfill” applies to both Rupert and Terrace, doesn’t it? Sure, there may be differences in the Terrace and Rupert landfills, but they are both landfills, aren’t they?

And they they pick up compostable waste on Mondays. Terrace also has a 2-bag limit (or two buckets). Extra bags are $1. Or you can take them to the landfill yourself for free.

Terrace doesn’t have fencing to exclude animal intrusion like PR does, especially for ruminant (deer and moose) intrusions. I don’t know the Terrace facility procedures completely but I don’t believe it utilizes the same “cell” creation and completion like PR.

Maybe they’re practically the same without the fencing; I can’t tell you for a fact that they’re not. It might just be that I misread your post and thought you were wondering about the difference between a landfill and a dump. Maybe.

Yeah, I’m sure there are numerous differences between the two. But I think they’re both still landfills. My original question was why Decker would call the Terrace landfill a ‘dump’. Reading the link you posted, I don’t think it’s a dump. It’s a landfill.

Meanwhile, back to the original topic: dumping on Wantage Road. I’m always surprised when there’s an appliance or old car dumped. Can’t someone just trace the serial numbers and charge these people the huge dumping fines?

I posted this already and it was removed …

I went to the dumping area last night and foubnd the 2 xboxs in the picture. I fix electronics and wanted to see if they were usable for parts . When i got there all i could see were boxes from bait. AND the 2 xboxs . I have them drying out right now , but I can recover email address’s from both xboxs !!!

I think the stuff was left there to burn , the local high school kids burn there on weekends,also many pallets were there .

I can post the info I
recover from the boxes

maybe my wording is wrong but i just know our two landfills are categorized differently. as for getting the name of the person im sure it can be done off all the paper there or off the harddrives on the xbox’s there

So decker, you’re saying that the reason Terrace has free dumping for residential trash, and we charge for it is because the two landfills are categorized differently?

I’d rather think that the reason Prince Rupert charges for residential dumping is that Prince Rupert is broke, and likes to nickel and dime its taxpayers. That’s why Prince Rupert even separated the utilities from the property taxes, something Terrace has not done. The type of landfill has nothing to do with it. Prince Rupert is broke.

Well, there is that…

Anyway, if someone else comes across a dumped pile of trash like that, find something with the person’s name and address, and take a close-up photo of it and post it online. Embarrass them.

I just looked through the logs, don’t see any evidence of a post being removed. When did you post it?

[quote=“Smurfette”]So decker, you’re saying that the reason Terrace has free dumping for residential trash, and we charge for it is because the two landfills are categorized differently?

I’d rather think that the reason Prince Rupert charges for residential dumping is that Prince Rupert is broke, and likes to nickel and dime its taxpayers. That’s why Prince Rupert even separated the utilities from the property taxes, something Terrace has not done. The type of landfill has nothing to do with it. Prince Rupert is broke.[/quote]

you guys really over analyze things too much. its a dump we pay to get rid of our own personal garbage big deal it happens everywhere. rupert is not that bad yes property taxes are so dont buy a house or move no one forced u to buy a house . just sit back and relax and enjoy life sometime . watch out you might just enjoy it lol

This is a perfectly logically train of thought.

This is actually not true. Under a bill Council passed within the last X years [probably in closed chambers without the public input and without the public getting any say in the matter] the City of Prince Rupert has integrated its property taxes with utilities so while they are seperate fees, they are charged to one lump payment entity. Stay up to date with your land taxes; try falling behind in utilities and City Hall will take your home. So basically, the City of Prince Rupert is free to charge whatever fee they want for water, sewer and the rubbish garbage service (2 Bags! A week! Per Household!), all compulsory services, and even though you may pay your taxes, they can still seize your home. So, really City of Prince Rupert, when does a property owner REALLY own their own home?

As to the dumping - I wouldn’t condone it but bind the bullshit 12 KM drive to pay ever-fluctuating tipping prices with the crap garbage service property owners pay for and you have a perfectly logically solution to a irritation I bet many Rupert residents face. They should have just dumped it on City Hall’s doorstep. Add some dog poop to remind them that Court House lawn is never free of animal feces.

Oh well, what do you do hey?

We pay to dump in Prince Rupert because, we were sick of the orange looking sludge that runs freely down Hayes Creek.
The old dump was out at wantage road at one point, most of the golf course is on top of the old dump as well, back then they just let all the toxic and harmfull sludge run freely, the new landfill on the Ridley road has all sorts of collection and pumping stations that hold the sludge in a lagoon to be treated a bit before it goes straight into the ocean, thats what we pay for upkeep and developement !

I would like an example of someone losing their home because they refused to make utilities payments.

I see Turd_Sandwhich, makes sense.

Eccentric: if you want definitive proof all you need to do is call City Hall and ask what will happen if you don’t pay utilities, but pay your land taxes portion of the bill in the current year. The unpaid utilities whether used or not will be transferred (can you even opt out of utilities? I don’t think so?) the following year to your land taxes portion and then applied as land tax overall. I am rather sure we can infer what would happen from there if unpaid. Don’t forget the extra %12.5 in utilities cost as of the 2007 bill.

Whether or not there is a first example, I don’t know. But there is always a first at some point. They’ve already made that clear to one person I know.

[quote]In 2006 the City “changed the way it collects for utilities to solve its shortage of cash between spring and summer, when property taxes are collected.” Then adding: “In 2006, utility bills were included with your taxes,” said Jim Bruce, the city’s acting Chief Financial Officer.

“For the city we have a cash flow problem around March. We don’t have enough cash to get us through.” [/quote]

Quoted from this Canada.com Link

Distribution of Property Value Taxes (Section 165 (3.1)(b)
Utilities is accounted for under property tax.
here

Just call City Hall…

I took these pics about a month ago. This stuff was dumped on the North Side of the road just up from the hatchery.

Obviously not super bright to include your phone bill in with your dump.

Where can we send these pictures so someone has to clean it or gets charged?

noticed its a Masset PO box. come all the way across to dump garbage…