Wal-Mart no longer coming to Rupert?

Heard this rumour yesterday, that Wal-Mart is no longer coming to town as a result of the mall failing to secure additional retail space for them upstairs.

Anyone else hear this? Its probably false…but it does sorta make sense.

I was under the assumption that Wally world bought the site Zellers is on, and is in fact not leasing it.

Another lovely rumour lol

This could very well be true…I was just wondering if anyone else had heard that they had changed their mind…you know how rumours are in this city.

Just talked to tom cheng owner of mall walmart comeing.

Ajaye was actually correct in saying Walmart was coming here when he posted in the summer time

I’d be shocked if Reitmans and Marks and Quadra didn’t want to accomodate and move downstairs because Walmart was coming in and needed space. It’s practically economy-suicide mall-wise.

I could see the travel bureau go into the little office space next to the door which leads to Home Hardware. Its was always nice going into that spot to touch base with the guy that ran the computer repair shop. He always put up with my jokes without throwing me out.

LOL@ at all the speculation: Zellers staff had a large meeting some time ago and at that time it was said:
Walmart was well aware of what space it would acquire when it dotted it’s i’s and crossed the t’s on the agreement it made with Target to acquire this Zellers outlet… This Walmart will only have the present Zellers site this was known for a long time… I don’t know about Reitmans, but Mark’s has a long term lease that it is not changing…
As far as Quadra goes with the internet and the economy surprised this town can sustain two travel bureaus. I am glad that fields is being ditched and looking forward to the new Shoppers…

The rain is what kept them in business. :smiley:

Does anyone actually think that Wallyworld will not come in and crush Reitmans and MWW? How can anyone expect them to stay open??

Why would they ruin these 2 business. Look how shitty the quality of products that they sell compared to Reitmans Or Marks

[quote=“Speedy”]

Why would they ruin these 2 business. Look how shitty the quality of products that they sell compared to Reitmans Or Marks[/quote]

But people LOOOOOVE cheap.

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]

Why would they ruin these 2 business. Look how shitty the quality of products that they sell compared to Reitmans Or Marks

But people LOOOOOVE cheap.[/quote]

Price, Product, Placement are critical but what can truly ruin a business is poor customer service. Homework is a classic example in this town, of how to wrap it all up – service, service, service. Reitmans will likely be just fine as they have a different product, well priced and generally excellent customer service. Mark’s as well. A different product - they also offer specialized, quality clothing & gear and again, typically excellent service. They both will see my business for years to come.

But people LOOOOOVE cheap.
People who do real work in hard environments appreciate quality clothing and footwear. My work boots cost me 300.00 give or take a few bucks alone not to mention my clothing under/outer wear. I would never trust Walmart products to protect me from the elements at work. im sure im not alone. Walmart doesnt threaten marks at all.

^Agreed…Wal-Mart will not hurt Mark’s at ALL…totally different clothing.

Marks = High Quality work clothes

Wal-Mart = Same as Zellers clothes.

If Zellers couldn’t put Reitmans/Marks under with their cheaper clothing, Wal-Mart will not either.

Wal-mart hasn’t killed either Mark’s or Reitmans in Terrace, either.

Walmart will not kill Reitmans or Marks, these both stores have high quality clothing and
footwear that cannot compare to Walmart’s junk. For example, if you buy a blouse or
t-shirt at Walmart and wash it, the next day one sleeve is smaller than the other.
I hate clothing at Walmart, I always shop for clothing at Reitmans, love there
quality and selection.

You’re not supposed to wash WalMart clothes. They’re so cheap you throw them away.
My ‘holy shit a shirt that fits for $6’ disintegrated in the washer first time. And as the man said the sleeves on the 2nd one were 6" shorter after one wash.
Tried on pants once, the stitching in the crotch disintegrated right there in the changing room. I put them back on the rack neatly folded hahahahaha.

I guess I have been the lucky one buying clothing at Wal-Mart ! Last trip back to Ontario bought 2 pairs of George jeans, beautiful sweater and blouse and haven’t had any problems at all! Laundered just fine and my fella bought some nice shirts, each for $10., really nice! I am a Carnation evaporated milk freak and when you can buy it there at a daily price of $1.33 per can, can’t go wrong! Damn stuff on “sale” here is $2 and change !! I don’t mind the store at all, clean, well organized and best of all, the staff are helpful and smile! 'Course, that’s in Ontario !!!