Vandalism in the city

It’s still intrusive:

Hey, there’s Jill. She was supposed to be off work sick but she’s hanging out at Java."

“Hey, look, there’s Larry kissing another woman; wonder what his wife would think?”

"Hey, there’s the cops giving some Surf sluts a lift . . . " Oh wait. That one would be alright.

Hi Guys,

It doesn’t matter if the police have a beat in town or if there’s COPS helping patrol.

In the case of Data Boy two 13 year old girls were taken to the police station for the crime it was witnessed by another business person. 15 minutes after the police took the girls they had to return them on the street in front of City Hall. The girls then proceeded to go back to Data Boy and threaten Rob.

These kids can do whatever they want because we have a legal system not a justice system.

I like the idea of recording your business with cameras. If you get a break in, during all your open hours play that break in on repeat everyday until your next one. It’ll embarass (or it should) the kids family and maybe someone will step up and care for their family. It might have to come down to Grand Parents being allerted to what their grand kids are doing because the parents don’t seem to care but I think one generation back does.

That would have been a funny site two little girls threating Rob, like wana be gangsters G-unit.
I would have pissed myself…

tigerdirect.ca/applications/ … CatId=1322

Get a few businesses using these pointed at the street should be around less than a grand when set up with a comp and a huge hard drive, Maybe It’ll give them a chance to catch the dinks who do this.

thing is these are great for indoors or around your home but they are no good for what you want them for. these things are basically toys.  these cameras need to be inside or high enough out of reach; if there to high  your not going to see anything of detail.
each of the cameras around our building we use are the same price as that whole set up. our cameras are also bullet proof.

So perhaps there’s the problem heh, the cops “had to return them on the street  in front of city hall”, why didn’t the “parents, guardians whatever” have to take responsibility for them?

Taking them back almost to scene of the crime seems rather insane, but you’re right, it’s not so much the police as the laws they are shackled with to prosecute with. Perhaps a change in the young offenders act might be a start, as for the two wanna be gangsta gals, perhaps a form of house arrest for six months might do some good, maybe not who knows eh!

There’s no difference between cops walking the streets and video cameras set up, except video cameras are ALWAYS there.  Either way is intrusive but they both also help clean up the streets.  I’m sure cameras are cheaper in the long run also.

They’re not call-girls, they’re “last-call”-girls.

Bingo, through my job I have heard of many incidents of vandalism around town.  Several had witnesses or the vandals were caught on camera, but they all seem to be underage and when/if they are caught nothing seems to happen to them.  What really brought it to light for me was being in a store that sells spray-paint, while in there i overheard a group of young teens discussing how “it doesn’t matter if they cops see, they won’t do anything anyways”.  They left the store without any paint but just hearing that really pissed me off, there’s something seriously wrong here.

When we were kids, there was vandalism, vandalism is not something new, I knew if I did something stupid like vandalism I would have my assed whipped by my father and grounded for a week, this is the day before video games and you really didn’t have anything to do, except be outside, man if you lost that a week seemed forever.
Kids have TV in their rooms and video games and such, so when kids do get trouble they get to play video games. No real incentive anymore for parents.
  Plus kids are not afraid of their parents or the police they know they can’t really get into too much trouble. You can’t beat your kids anymore  :smiley:  so you have to talk to  them and hope they get it.

We are going to have vandalism and we will have more without police presence in the community, the good thing is though I have seen officers doing some walking in the early evening.
Like I said before if a officer would patrol an area like down town more you would not have the problem’s, ask me how many times I see police driving down Fraser Street, zero times, I only see them when we have called them or someone else has called them and that my friend is sad.

You any of you asked  the kids on the street “why there on the street late at night” I have  and the responses I have gotten would bring tears to your eyes, there are very few choices for kids in this community, I think before we blame kids we need to look at the whole picture and see how the problem can be fixed.   

Two things:

1. good point, Astro, in your last post.

2. I think the Data Boy sign was ill-conceived. I understand that they’re very angry and frustrated but to have that sign up, especially with all the tourists and Port Opening guests around, is doing a huge disservice to the community.

From today’s Daily Snoozle…

Store owner calls for vandalism crackdown

By Kris Schumacher
The Daily News

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The apparent increase in the amount of senseless vandalism and mischief in Prince Rupert has driven one local business owner to put a sign in his store window proclaiming: “window $1,500, prop. tax $6,000, city not caring about youth vandalism - priceless. Welcome to Prince Rupert”.

Rob Vallee, owner of DataBoy computer store on Third Avenue West, put up the sign after having his storefront window broken on Monday night, the second time it had happened during the summer.

“My glass alarm was actually shut off, because about five times a week kids will come by and bang on the window and the alarm will go off,” said Vallee.

“The police charge you $130 every time they show up, and there’s no leeway on that because they say it’s a false alarm.”

After a citizen saw his window was smashed this week, he got a call at home. He went to the police station to find out if the RCMP was going to arrest the two youths they picked up who were responsible for vandalizing the window.

“The cops said they didn’t know where their parents were, so I asked what they were going to do with them,” explained Vallee.

“He told me: ‘well, I’m going to have to let them go. One said he pushed the other into the window’. So I get back downtown and they were back downtown and they were yelling at me.”

While Vallee is upset that little appears to have been done from a policing standpoint about his window, which will cost him $1,500 to replace, he’s more upset that he pays $6,000 in annual property taxes but is still charged for so-called “false alarms”.

“My building is appraised at $130,000, but even after it’s paid off you’re still paying $500 a month for the building just in tax, and what do you get for it?”

The RCMP has three officers on duty at night. Vallee wants more.

“I think, at least, there should be more patrolling of downtown, and possibly a curfew,” he said.

“Thirteen-year-old kids shouldn’t be out at 1 a.m. I’d be mad if my 13-year-old kid got into trouble and they released him back on the street because he said he didn’t know where I was. I’d be mad.”

[quote=“ThePodunkian”]
From today’s Daily Snoozle…

Store owner calls for vandalism crackdown

By Kris Schumacher
The Daily News

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The apparent increase in the amount of senseless vandalism and mischief in Prince Rupert . . .[/quote]

I’d be interested in seeing if the amount of vandalism that makes sense has increased. :smile:

Sorry, but DataBoy ain’t too swift.

After the first smash, I’d have covered the window with that clear plastic that protects the glass, or install crown glass. Either way, he’d have saved himself a pot full of cash.

Second, if the alarm is wired to the city and he’s not answering the call first before the cops, WHY? With a private alarm company, they call you first, not the police. If they can’t reach him, he must be an AWFULLY sound sleeper. In that case, he deserves the $130 call out charge.

Third, why hasn’t he been more active at council in getting something like a curfew implimented? Simple bylaw: If you’re under 18, you have to be off the streets by 10. No excuses. If they can’t find the parents, the kids get remanded to child services for the night.

Finally, any computer store that can’t rig up a basic motion-detected camera system (if for nothing else but to forestall shoplifting) must be selling Dells.

You don’t need to be a vigilante, but you CAN be proactive. You just have to choose to be.

the root of the problem is not 15 years having baby’s it is young teenagers with having nothing to do, that gets them into trouble. and a 15 year cant get welfare!!

Your thing about young girls is wrong; look a 15 year old girl’s baby is not going to be vandalizing wait 10 to 13 years then mom will be 25 to 30, and should be ( yes should be) a responsible parent. I don’t like it when people generalize a population, who are you the Moral police.
  My mother was 13 when she had my older sister, she had me at 15 I have a younger brother and a sister  and we all turned out great and by the way we rang in age from 43 down to 35 so ya my mom was bad in 60’s lol…So don’t generalizes all young people or young mother’s…

wow are you ever perceptive, do you think that Rob put that sign up to welcome people to town literally?  you are quick

男人名]的昵称  的第三人称.单数.现在式  副 了不起地;大大地 名 嘴;口状物;皱眉;高傲的说;厚皮 名 爱;喜欢;嗜好;善意;慈悲;敬慕 被期待已久的 :astonished:

translation: Rob has nice big mouth; Love you long time.

Being out at 3 am is not the best choice available to these young people, but the alternative of sexual and physical abuse and for their personal safety is what some of these kids go through when they do stay home, and yes you are right it; all comes down to a dysfunctional home environment. 

THE CYCLE NEEDS TO BE BROKEN

The only way it happens is by talking about it and given a safe place for children to go, as I know there are many types of predators that feed of these vulnerable children for their own sick needs.

Loaded had their window smashed like 3-4 times this summer, and something special about 2x…

These young punks need to be off the streets after 9 or 10pm…
and we need police patrolling.

i feel sorry for Javadotcup, CIBC and tim’s. those places are like there
homes…

“hey guys, lets go hang out in front of Java!” we’ll spit all over the place while
listening to g-unit!

What the hell is this post all about :unamused:  Anyway, everyone I have spoken with today thinks the sign Rob put up was a great idea and a direct hit at City Council.  Get off your friggin’ asses folks and take a look at what is happening in this town. Bravo Rob and as for all the things others say you could have done, armchair quarterbacks as always!!! I’m sure you did all you could to secure your business within the limits of security in this town. Good Luck in the future…Your business did not deserve this bullshit…