Using Public Infrastructure on the Campaign trail?

I was just wondering, with the Provincial campaigns in full swing, are candidates permitted to use public infrastructure to campaign? I know it seems like a rather minor issue, but it still concerns me somewhat. I have noticed a few campaign signs posted to bridge railings and traffic signs.
Are there rules which govern things like this?

"Are there rules about signs and advertising in local elections?
Yes. There is a prohibition against advertising on TV, the radio or in newspapers or magazines on voting day. There is also a prohibition against placing campaign signs or materials within 100 metres of any voting place. This includes buttons worn by supporters, bumper stickers, pamphlets, posters, or any other material that advocates for or against a particular candidate or candidates. Election officials have authority to remove any signs or campaign materials found within 100 metres of a voting place on a voting day.

Most local governments have sign bylaws that govern the placement of signs, including election signs, within their jurisdiction. Contact your local government for more information.

The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure has authority over provincial roads and highways, and may have rules regarding the placement of signs adjacent to these roads and highways."

cscd.gov.bc.ca/lgd/gov_struc … stions.htm

"What is the ministry’s policy regarding election signs on a highway right-of-way?

The ministry conditionally allows election posters or signs on highway rights-of-way, with the exception of freeways or any major highway structures. Election posters or signs:

must not be attached to, obstruct or simulate any traffic control device;
must not be positioned closer to the traveled lanes than standard traffic signs;
must not be placed and/or constructed in any fashion that may cause a traffic hazard;
are not allowed until election writ has been dropped.
Are there any highways where election campaign signs are not allowed to appear?

The sign policy of the ministry allows the placement of election campaign signs along most provincial highways on a first-come, first-served basis. There are, however, some exceptions. Election campaign signs are not allowed to be placed on some freeways.

How does the ministry handle the removal of election signs?

Signs or posters contravening the conditions mentioned in the answers to the previous two questions will be taken down by the ministry.

The next working day after an election, the election signs should be taken down by those who installed them."

th.gov.bc.ca/popular-topics/faq.htm

I’d add the municipal by laws but I am posting from my phone and the City site requires flash player.

I am not even sure of the purpose of political signs anymore especially in the age of social media. I suppose in our municipal election it might draw attention to one name out of many and perhaps allow a voter to consider the possibility of voting for that person when voting for up to six people, but in federal or provincial elections where pretty much everybody knows who is running and for whom, it seems more of an exercise to keep the party faithful involved than to actually influence voters.

Today, on my way back from the dump, I was amused by the signs at the Frederick Street turnoff. There was a fairly large NDP sign beside a much smaller Liberal sign beside an even smaller Green sign. All three however were dwarfed by the Citizens on Patrol and Crime Stoppers sign. Given our feelings about politics in general and Christy Clark and Adrian Dix in particular, I thought it pretty funny.

[quote=“DWhite”]I am not even sure of the purpose of political signs anymore especially in the age of social media. I suppose in our municipal election it might draw attention to one name out of many and perhaps allow a voter to consider the possibility of voting for that person when voting for up to six people, but in federal or provincial elections where pretty much everybody knows who is running and for whom, it seems more of an exercise to keep the party faithful involved than to actually influence voters.

Today, on my way back from the dump, I was amused by the signs at the Frederick Street turnoff. There was a fairly large NDP sign beside a much smaller Liberal sign beside an even smaller Green sign. All three however were dwarfed by the Citizens on Patrol and Crime Stoppers sign. Given our feelings about politics in general and Christy Clark and Adrian Dix in particular, I thought it pretty funny.[/quote]

I agree and no longer feel that election signs are necessary. In this day and age when we are more environmentally sensitive, is it responsible to create so many plastic signs that have such limited use?

I’ve noticed election signs attached to Ministry of Highways signs…in front of court house, on Seaplane Base sign on McBride, by Rupert sign coming into town to name a few. Is this allowed? I know signs can be on highway right-of-way but think they should have to supply the supports, not use existing highway sign supports.