UPDATE: MLA, North Coast react to Premier's resignation

Local reaction to the announcement of Premier Gordon Campbell’s resignation has begun to come in following this morning’s announcement.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … ation.html

There is a God , I knew it . Great news for the people in this province , no matter what party they are from .

Updated to include comments from MLA Gary Coons:

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 33733.html

I think gordon jumped out to fast he did make a big mistake with the hst he should of had proper consultation with
the people of bc before hand.but look who will replace him carol talouer is out and my thought is he needed to work
on removeing the hst and have someone like jim pattison come in and take control of how the province spends te
tax payers money we cant afford to go back we just got our business sectoer going our mineing is booming we need
a leader i would love to see nathan cullen in as leader of the ndp and become the next premier of bc i dont think carol
james has it to be a leader.

What BC really needs is Ghadi, Barrak Obama and Jimmy Pattison to form BC’s version of the BIG THREE! This will fix everything!

Updated to include comment from the Chiefs of the Coast Tsimshian

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 33733.html

Watching the BC. Global regarding Gordo’s brief news this morning and some of his Cabinet Sinisters had the nerve to say this announcement all came as a shock to them. But further on down in the newscast it was mentioned that during an earlier meeting with cabinet Gordo left so they could have a meeting and discuss his future. Some of these Cabinet Sinisters have been named as his replacement , so there is a good start where they all proved that they are all a bunch of lying Liberals. Reminds me of a memorial where no one ever has the guts to say much of the negative side of the individual.

[quote=“One of those people who can be fooled ALL of the time”]
He came in with a 25% tax cut and went out with a further 15% tax cut. History will mark him as a true hero.[/quote]

And it will if we continue to let neo-cons rewrite it. Just like Reagan the hero.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]

He came in with a 25% tax cut and went out with a further 15% tax cut. History will mark him as a true hero.[/quote]

And it will if we continue to let neo-cons rewrite it. Just like Reagan the hero.[/quote]

So true Herbie , them Red Sweater idiots seem to be so much like Reagan and that era . What will step in and try to bluff the regular BC,citizen now. One of my fears is if there were to be an election , what are we facing Carol James is a short fuse , some Red sweater or is Bill Vanderslam going to make a repeat performance riding on his HST revolt petition .

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]

And it will if we continue to let neo-cons rewrite it. Just like Reagan the hero.[/quote]

I am happy that the Premier resigned, he is a poor leader. The BC debt has doubled and the health care and education systems are badly underfunded.
The Liberals now have a two year period to distance themselves from the Premier’s failed legacy. I hope that the leader of the NDP will remind BC voters of the carnage that has transpired. I like Carole James, but, in my opinion if the NDP is to win the next election a new leader is needed.

From my resources, B.C.`s debt in 2001 was around 33.6 billion dollars. 2009 sources show it hovering at 40 billion. I believe there was a couple of years during that time that the liberals did shave off 6-8 billion only to regain that debt shortly after. No political party in B.C. has ever handed over debt that was less than they started with when they took office.

When the Liberals took power the provincial debt was around 39 billion. Constantly screaming about Bingogate, and a fast ferry fiasco that cost taxpayers 400 million, the Liberals swept into power claiming to reduce the debt and increase prosperity. Nothing could have been farther from the truth. We now have billions more in debt, the BCRgate and the cost overruns on the new convention centre alone in Vancouver were almost $1 billion, WAY over twice what the fast ferry fiasco cost.

If an election was called today, the Liberals would still win, because Carol James makes people want to vomit, the BC Conservatives are completely unorganized, the Green and Marijuana parties a lost cause, etc. If Bill Vander Zalm threw his hat into the election ring, whatever party he represented would win by a landslide.

I personally respect Bill, and only malicious NDP false accusations ever tarred his political career.

Three updates today:

One explaining that Premier Campbell will remain on as leader into 2011

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 04098.html

And one of outlining the results of the Liberal party vote on Premier Campbell’s leadership:

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 69293.html

[quote=“wildwill”]
I personally respect Bill, and only malicious NDP false accusations ever tarred his political career.[/quote]

Oddly enough I also appreciate Bill more these days. :smile:
Heh, Bill resigned because of “Fantasy-Gate”, something of his own doing. You can’t blame the NDP for that one.

Fantasy Gate was complete and utter bullshit! There was nothing ever proven, just malcious NDP gossip that stuck. Bill was never found quilty of any wrong doing, at all, period.

Few people know what kind of man Bill is. While he may grate some people the wrong way, he is a man of his word. Here is a perfect, and verifiable truth about Bill. Bill and Lilian are pro-life, that is they oppose abortion. Bill was outside a clinic one time trying to dissuade women from going in. One girl told Bill she was having an abortion because she simply could not afford to have a child. Bill told her if she gave birth to the child, he would pay for all of its expenses, including a prestigeous education. His hecklers cahllenged him to put his money where his mouth was, and he did. He housed and paid all of the young woman’s bills, and when the child was born, Bill personally insured that it never lacked for anything. Unforturnately, the child died a year or so later from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). The bottom line, whatever Bill told B.C., they could take to the bank. Bill was not forced out of office, he was falsely slandered by some of the sleaziest politicians this province has ever seen, people like Moe Shiota, Glen Clark, Joy Macphail, etc., and stepped own to avoid any taint to British Columbia, a province he served well and loves more than most.

[quote=“wildwill”]Fantasy Gate was complete and utter bullshit! There was nothing ever proven, just malcious NDP gossip that stuck. Bill was never found quilty of any wrong doing, at all, period.
[/quote]

As reported in the Vancouver Sun. A Chronolgy of Fantasy Gardens.

April 2, 1991: Hughes’ report is released and Vander Zalm resigns after being found to have clearly violated conflict guidelines.

Best be carefull what we wish for, because the man thats going to take campells place may just be worse !

The Vancouver Sun retracted the statement later as it was found that any conflict of interest was done prior to any laws that would have made it a conflict were even drafted.

“In February of 1991, both the Premier and the Leader of the Opposition requested Ted Hughes to investigate the matter. Hughes agreed, although he emphasized that he was not accepting the assignment pursuant to his role as Interim Commissioner of Conflict of Interest, because all of the events which he was to inquire into, had occurred prior to the passage of the new conflict of interest legislation.” (cpsa-acsp.ca/papers-2009/Greene.pdf)

[quote=“wildwill”]The Vancouver Sun retracted the statement later as it was found that any conflict of interest was done prior to any laws that would have made it a conflict were even drafted.
[/quote]

You are splitting hairs on that one. :smile: Although he was not convicted of any crime, he was found to be in conflict by Hughes. We can bat this ball around all day. I respectfully disagree with you on this one. Fantasy Gate was not pure bullshit as you initially claimed.

Anyway, that is old news. I think VanderZalm did a very good job raising public awareness regarding the HST; he also helped to scuttle the Premier.
I would be very surprised if VanderZalm ever holds public office again. Stranger things have happened though in politics. :smile:

Hit the road gord and dont you come back no more no more no more no more