Untangled

[quote=“jesus”]

[quote=“jase”]Read again Joel, he is talking about untangle not smooth wall or pfsense.

Btw, untangle has no bloatware.[/quote]

look again at his hardware. Untangle is bloated and won’t run well. I’m not going to persue arguing with a dense brick wall any further. There are better tools for the job especially given the hardware. Whether or not the features of untangle are worth the bloat is another discussion. I won’t ever use it because ill either use one of my automation scripts or something lighter weight. Gui’s get in the way of process automation and are in most cases useless to me. But for the ops hardware and requirements I suggest pfsense or smoothwall[/quote]

It’s not bloated, and he listed a few computers, however your pig headed looks at the slowest one, of course.

Agreed. If the OP put pfSense on the Celeron unit it would be lightening fast, I also like the web page interface of pfSense. Smoothwall, would also be an awesome choice.
But, give Untangled a try too. You are certainly not limited as you have several excellent choices.

[quote=“hitest”]

Agreed. If the OP put pfSense on the Celeron unit it would be lightening fast, I also like the web page interface of pfSense. Smoothwall, would also be an awesome choice.
But, give Untangled a try too. You are certainly not limited as you have several excellent choices.[/quote]

That’s because pfsense runs really well on the x200 watch guards, and the specs of a x200 piii 450-500 with 256-512 mb ram.

For some unexplained reason one of my working Untangle boxes has locked up in the middle of the night.
You can ping thoughout the system, but it passed no html traffic at all. Rushed into the office in the early hours as I couldn’t access past the login page remotely. The system was completely locked up couldn’t access reports, had to reboot. Which loses the reports and leaves me without a clue…
any guesses? 2 gigs RAM, dualcore, lots of disk space.

do you have vpn setup ? what type of network cards ? do you have https enabled externally ?

nope. Intel. yup.

Don’t see any solutions in the forums. They’re notorious for just stopping responding to problems they can’t solve there. Donna shut off spam & phish filters tonight and see what happens. I see spikes around 3:00 am and a couple posters were asking about nightly shutdowns around 3:00 am.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]nope. Intel. yup.

Don’t see any solutions in the forums. They’re notorious for just stopping responding to problems they can’t solve there. Donna shut off spam & phish filters tonight and see what happens. I see spikes around 3:00 am and a couple posters were asking about nightly shutdowns around 3:00 am.[/quote]

Someone might be attacking it ? Or some one using all the bandwidth ?

How many users ? on this machine ?

what version ? 64 or 32 ?

It’s the default 32 iso setup. I’m thinking DOS attack from inside too.
Gotta go into office and set me into sudoers sometime today. Then I can ssh and reboot, see logs.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]It’s the default 32 iso setup. I’m thinking DOS attack from inside too.
Gotta go into office and set me into sudoers sometime today. Then I can ssh and reboot, see logs.[/quote]

Turn on the logs and have it email you every night at a certain time, maybe a time before it keeps crashing.

My box was faster and had more cpu power, if you have to many users on it, it might not like that.

You ran mem test on this box and hardware test right ?

Wish i lived closer i would drop off my box, since im using my new Sonicwall T210.

recieved my new Dell 24port Gigabit switch AHHHH so nice to go from 10/100 to gigabit.

got a Sonicwall T210, that i use now that i like. ( free from work fully licensed.

yes it’s messy, just waiting to buy a rack.

Got my new server running this week ( original board was defective.)

16gigs ecc ddr3 ram i3 processor 5 hdd’s 2 raid sets 2 @ mirror 500’s and 3 raided main os drives.

Untangle box is just sitting there right now.

I have this Acer Intel Quadcore I set up proxmox for Chilliwave on, I should set up a VM on that. Never could figure out Chilliwave…
Useless POS’s. I’ve had 4 of them in, unable to run Windows reliably but they run Linux just fine.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]I have this Acer Intel Quadcore I set up proxmox for Chilliwave on, I should set up a VM on that. Never could figure out Chilliwave…
Useless POS’s. I’ve had 4 of them in, unable to run Windows reliably but they run Linux just fine.[/quote]

Should trade me my unit for your atom unit…