Untangled

Hello guys,

I have noticed a few users mentioning Untangled here and there, also read through the thread about the Router problems…
I’ve got a Intel Celeron rig, and a Pentium 3 rig; which one should I install it on?

I realize the obvious question would most likely be the Celeron rig… but I’m looking to have the gateway online pretty much most of the time and was wondering if it would run fine on the P3
The specs for the P3 -
Intel Pentium 3, 933MHz
256MB Ram
40GB Hard Drive
Sparkle 450W PSU

Celeron Specs -
Intel Celeron 2.6GHz
1GB Ram
Dual 80GB Hard Drives
Enermaxx 450W PSU

I’m also unaware of where to start, but that’s soon to change as I’m watching Youtube vids on installing/configuring it and overall impressions of the software by IT Professionals.

any of your guys input on this would be cool, look forward to the tips

I would put Untangled on the Celeron unit as it requires more system resources to run. If you wanted to use the P3 unit for a router I would use pfSense which is a modified version of FreeBSD. I’m using a P3 667 MHz IBM unit with 256 MB RAM and a 20 GB HD for my home router, firewall; it is running pfSense very nicely.

Don’t try it :smile:

It runs inside a virtual machine, so it’s resource-intensive. You’ll need a more powerful computer for it.

If you just want to run a firewall, there are lighter alternatives.

Like, don’t you guys mean “Tangled” , that wicked super sweet Disney movie?

Too old.
Older Atom box w 1GB runs.
Dualcore Atom510s w 2GB and an 80Gig runs ok.
X2 250 (2.9Ghz) runs well.

[quote=“AndrewMorgan444”]Hello guys,

I have noticed a few users mentioning Untangled here and there, also read through the thread about the Router problems…
I’ve got a Intel Celeron rig, and a Pentium 3 rig; which one should I install it on?

I realize the obvious question would most likely be the Celeron rig… but I’m looking to have the gateway online pretty much most of the time and was wondering if it would run fine on the P3
The specs for the P3 -
Intel Pentium 3, 933MHz
256MB Ram
40GB Hard Drive
Sparkle 450W PSU

Celeron Specs -
Intel Celeron 2.6GHz
1GB Ram
Dual 80GB Hard Drives
Enermaxx 450W PSU

I’m also unaware of where to start, but that’s soon to change as I’m watching Youtube vids on installing/configuring it and overall impressions of the software by IT Professionals.

any of your guys input on this would be cool, look forward to the tips[/quote]

The Celeron computer will be just fine, id throw in more ram if you could, the software IS NOT CPU intensive at all. I run 8.1 and it runs fine on lots of older computers, the reason why you need a DECENT speed computer is so you can run all the plug in’s and features.

YOu do require 2 network cards, if you can buy 2 intel ones gigabit ones are 9$ on ebay brand new, worth every penny and 1 gig of ram for that box would be cheap like 10$

If you need help feel free to pm me.

[quote=“MiG”]Don’t try it :smile:

It runs inside a virtual machine, so it’s resource-intensive. You’ll need a more powerful computer for it.

If you just want to run a firewall, there are lighter alternatives.[/quote]

What is the purpose of it running in a vm? Security or an ease of install thing? Seems silly to me. Pfsense is great lightweight and runs well off a cfcard. Smoothwall is also great

Hey thanks for the great tips guys, and I might max out the RAM for the particular motherboard in the Celeron rig (it’s got 4 dimm slots)

Also, I’m interested in dedicating a machine to untangle so I won’t be messing around with Virtual Machines, I’ve got like 3 spare computers so it’s not much of a deal to me.

[quote=“AndrewMorgan444”]Hey thanks for the great tips guys, and I might max out the RAM for the particular motherboard in the Celeron rig (it’s got 4 dimm slots)

Also, I’m interested in dedicating a machine to untangle so I won’t be messing around with Virtual Machines, I’ve got like 3 spare computers so it’s not much of a deal to me.[/quote]

Untangle has VM’s running inside it self :smile:

PERSONALLY i really suggest buying intel network cards.

Let me know if you need any help.

j’

B

[quote=“jase”]

[quote=“AndrewMorgan444”]Hey thanks for the great tips guys, and I might max out the RAM for the particular motherboard in the Celeron rig (it’s got 4 dimm slots)

Also, I’m interested in dedicating a machine to untangle so I won’t be messing around with Virtual Machines, I’ve got like 3 spare computers so it’s not much of a deal to me.[/quote]

Untangle has VM’s running inside it self :smile:

PERSONALLY i really suggest buying intel network cards.

Let me know if you need any help.w

j’[/quote]

What is the purpose of the virtualization?

Seems I answered my own question. Ease of install. Bare metal is available though. Might try it out but id be hard pressed to replace my linux image.

Nevermind. After doing a bit more reading i get the impression untangle would get in my way more than help. Local gui? No thanks.

[quote=“jesus”]Seems I answered my own question. Ease of install. Bare metal is available though. Might try it out but id be hard pressed to replace my linux image.

Nevermind. After doing a bit more reading i get the impression untangle would get in my way more than help. Local gui? No thanks.[/quote]

Each app is virtual.

If you haven’t installed it or used it, keep your comments to your self.

Not everyone is going to sit at a terminal screen and type million lines of code to configure a firewall, GUI is awesome on this untangle.

[quote=“jase”]

[quote=“jesus”]Seems I answered my own question. Ease of install. Bare metal is available though. Might try it out but id be hard pressed to replace my linux image.

Nevermind. After doing a bit more reading i get the impression untangle would get in my way more than help. Local gui? No thanks.[/quote]

Each app is virtual.

If you haven’t installed it or used it, keep your comments to your self.

Not everyone is going to sit at a terminal screen and type million lines of code to configure a firewall, GUI is awesome on this untangle.[/quote]

What do you mean each app is virtual? It runs in chroot or a whole os is spawned for each app?

Having extra overhead like a gui is not ideal a web interface is a much better method. Just because you don’t like my comments doesn’t mean they aren’t valid. Untangle appears to be bloated and there are far better lighter weight apps that do the same things. I don’t expect everyone to be comfortable at the command line but a sysadmin should be and its about 20 lines… Untangle might be ok for a small business or home user but again there are lighter weight apps that are just as user friendly. Untangle is a non starter for me. You like it, great but there are better apps for the job. No need to be upset/defensive about it.

Hey it’s 2011. Enough of this don’t need a GUI bullshit. If it the processor power even crosses your mind, you’re trying to turn shit into gold.
Crush that P3 the kids in Africa don’t even want crap that old.

It’s good for home, I know lots of schools that run it, and pay for some of the paid features.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Hey it’s 2011. Enough of this don’t need a GUI bullshit. If it the processor power even crosses your mind, you’re trying to turn shit into gold.
Crush that P3 the kids in Africa don’t even want crap that old.[/quote]

Don’t need or want a firewall with a monitor mouse and keyboard. A web gui absolutely but a full fledged desktop operating system you’ve gotta be kidding me. What a waste of resources not to mention the potential instability and security issues introduced by the desktop os. Imo the less code running the better when it comes to core infrastructure.

[quote=“jesus”]

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Hey it’s 2011. Enough of this don’t need a GUI bullshit. If it the processor power even crosses your mind, you’re trying to turn shit into gold.
Crush that P3 the kids in Africa don’t even want crap that old.[/quote]

Don’t need or want a firewall with a monitor mouse and keyboard. A web gui absolutely but a full fledged desktop operating system you’ve gotta be kidding me. What a waste of resources not to mention the potential instability and security issues introduced by the desktop os. Imo the less code running the better when it comes to core infrastructure.[/quote]

instead of bashing it, why not try it? You might actually be suprized in what it can actually do, but if your to fukin lazy to install and try it, then shut your mouth and take your comments else where.

Back on topic now, Andrew let us know if you have any questions, herby and I can help you.

X

[quote=“jase”]

Don’t need or want a firewall with a monitor mouse and keyboard. A web gui absolutely but a full fledged desktop operating system you’ve gotta be kidding me. What a waste of resources not to mention the potential instability and security issues introduced by the desktop os. Imo the less code running the better when it comes to core infrastructure.

instead of bashing it, why not try it? You might actually be suprized in what it can actually do, but if your to fukin lazy to install and try it, then shut your mouth and take your comments else where.

Back on topic now, Andrew let us know if you have any questions, herby and I can help you.[/quote]

why are you so defensive about it. My comments are valid there are plenty of packages that do the same thing with a smaller footprint. Aka better. Like pfsense smoothwall etc. Why would I try a piece of bloatd software when I could use something better. Smoothwall or pfsense would be a better choice for the original poster. You like untangle great for you but for them it doesn’t fit the bill. You don’t need to take it personally.

Read again Joel, he is talking about untangle not smooth wall or pfsense.

Btw, untangle has no bloatware.

[quote=“jase”]Read again Joel, he is talking about untangle not smooth wall or pfsense.

Btw, untangle has no bloatware.[/quote]

look again at his hardware. Untangle is bloated and won’t run well. I’m not going to persue arguing with a dense brick wall any further. There are better tools for the job especially given the hardware. Whether or not the features of untangle are worth the bloat is another discussion. I won’t ever use it because ill either use one of my automation scripts or something lighter weight. Gui’s get in the way of process automation and are in most cases useless to me. But for the ops hardware and requirements I suggest pfsense or smoothwall