Untangle

uh no, because my Firewall “untangle” blocks all ad’s :smile: hehe

Disappointed in Untangle. Wouldn’t run it at home, and every potential user in these parts is too cheap to buy it.
Also somewhere around 9.2 it won’t allow symlinks, can’t run my other programs in it.

[quote=“jase”]
uh no, because my Firewall “untangle” blocks all ad’s :smile: hehe[/quote]

What kind of hardware specs do you need to run untangle? My pfSense (light and fast, stripped down version of FreeBSD) router/firewall happily runs on an old P III 667 MHz IBM 300 PL with 512 MB RAM.
I am however, looking at replacements in the event this box dies.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Disappointed in Untangle. Wouldn’t run it at home, and every potential user in these parts is too cheap to buy it.
Also somewhere around 9.2 it won’t allow symlinks, can’t run my other programs in it.[/quote]

I have mine running well over a year now and it works awesome, the software is free… so find a used computer or spend $99 and buy a referb.

I have all the “RENTs” using a Untangle box, its nice no more calls about viruses /spyware etc etc,

[quote=“hitest”]

[quote=“jase”]
uh no, because my Firewall “untangle” blocks all ad’s :smile: hehe[/quote]

What kind of hardware specs do you need to run untangle? My pfSense (light and fast, stripped down version of FreeBSD) router/firewall happily runs on an old P III 667 MHz IBM 300 PL with 512 MB RAM.
I am however, looking at replacements in the event this box dies.[/quote]

p4 or higher, OR you can spend the 1294 and buy a DC atom board and throw in 2 gigs ram. untangle loves intel nic’s.

I know pfsense is good to, but pfsense is not a UTM it’s a firewall. Untangle is also debian based.

[quote=“jase”]

I know pfsense is good to, but pfsense is not a UTM it’s a firewall. Untangle is also debian based.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. A UTM would be nice; it is a little overkill for my needs as I don’t run windows a lot (one box out of 6 work stations). Debian is solid. I would run that if Slackware ever disappeared.

I like it because it removes popups and ad’s makes surfing faster :0 and less shit on the sides to see :smile:

Looks nice, Jase, but a bit impractical for the home user. You basically have to dedicate a computer to it full-time.

I’ve tried untangle on older hardware (P4 with 1gb of RAM) and that was too slow for it.

Is there a particular Atom board you’d recommend?

[quote=“MiG”]Looks nice, Jase, but a bit impractical for the home user. You basically have to dedicate a computer to it full-time.

I’ve tried untangle on older hardware (P4 with 1gb of RAM) and that was too slow for it.

Is there a particular Atom board you’d recommend?[/quote]

yeah, the p4 is kinda slow and a power hog,

Budget ? I bought some newegg slim pc’s and threw a core 2 dul 2.0 in with 2 gigs ram and a 40gig sata laptop drive with a pci-e intel nic. all 6 of them are running perfectly i think i spent maybe 110$ each.

I know lots of guys that buy these, newegg.ca/Product/Product.as … 6816101364 << atom based quiet easy on power bill and powerfull AND intel nic’s onboard with ipmi for remote management etc etc.

Throw in a laptop sata drive & 2-4 gigs ram and well, they never touch them, they are quiet and perfect to about 50 users.

I might be throwing Astaro into my loop to give it a try again as it does VLANS…

supermicro makes the best atom boards because it includes ipmi & intel nic’s BTW

I have a lot of RAM and drives hanging around, so would just need to pick up a board, CPU, NICs and case. Will check out the newegg sections for cheap slim PCs.

how about this ?

newegg.ca/Product/Product.as … 6856119078

see this,

newegg.ca/Product/Product.as … 6856115042 ( no longer made ) but you get the idea.

Bought a couple Atom boards - 2770? for around $65.00
Had a full size case with an Intel NIC card, looks a little silly in there but works like a hot damn.
Just got an Atom550 Untangle box I lent to the Library back. They wanted to see where their DSL bandwidth was getting used. An update broke the symlink to bandwidthD but not before it solved it:
Deepfreeze downloading XP SP3 every morning…

whats wrong with sp3 every morning ? nice fresh copy LOL ! Heard some talk a few weeks ago that Untangle might do a cache feature :smile: