Un-natural disaster

The radio has been bleating about the ‘epidemic’ of suicide attempts and completions in the area around the Hazeltons.

After I wept for the despair that leads young people to take their own lives, I was left wondering what  I can do.

Yes, we need jobs and economic opportunities. Yes, we need after-school programs and safe activities. Yes, we need counselors with qualifications to deal with mental health/addictions issues as well as depression and death temptation. Yes, we need committed long-term resources to implement ALL of these and I certainly intend to make my voice heard on that.

But we also need a strong, supportive and resilient community - and this is up to ALL OF US - every day - in every lineup - in every conversation over the counter - in every moment of eye contact with a stranger walking down the street!!

Great post, I agree.

I agree we have to start watching out for one another, connecting with our neighbors and their kids.  How many of us know who our neighbors are or for that matter what they even look like? 

I cant stand my neighbour.  Hes a side show all on its owm.  I could charge the food folk admission to see some of the shit I have seen.
Sometimes its better to not know your neighbours…

Ahhhh…the Cynic. I’m not proposing love your neighbour - I’m not nearly enlightened enough for that!

I am submitting that a part of the solution to the despair can be found in a strong sense of community.

If you don’t like your community of neighbours - then focus on your community of interest.

Yes thats me…
You werent on the front page of the snooze…holding a hug fest were ya???
lol

[quote=“mcsash”] Yes thats me…
You werent on the front page of the snooze…holding a hug fest were ya???
lol [/quote]

Why? Do you need a hug mcsash? Maybe your neighbour will give you a big squeeze!

Me, I will meditate on it…ooooohhhhhmmmmmm…

YES I do…I am a cynical, sarcastic, ignorant guy …that needs hug…
Not from the fucking neighbour though…
Would rather be stranded on a Island with my Avatar girl.

i agree.
because sometimes all a suicidal or depressed person needs is for someone to give them a smile or ask them how their day was.
i know all of my neighbors.
and im happy i do  :smile:

Well if your neighbor is that bad good thing you know about him/her/them.  Perhaps someday what you"see" may need the tazer and it would be a right friendly neighbourhood gesture for you to phone in the concern to the RCMP.  That is also called watching out for your neighbors.

Fact is,  Tazers save Lives.
And I would rather have mcsash as a neighbor when my house gets robbed than some one to busy meditating to notice my flatscreen going out my front door.

[quote=“expat no more”]
And I would rather have mcsash as a neighbor when my house gets robbed than some one to busy meditating to notice my flatscreen going out my front door. [/quote]

Oh, I would notice the flat screen leaving - but I would accept that your purpose does not include TV viewing and advise you to let it go.

Oooohhhhhmmmmmmm…

[quote=“expat no more”]
And I would rather have mcsash as a neighbor when my house gets robbed than some one to busy meditating to notice my flatscreen going out my front door.[/quote]

However, if I noticed you in despair or showing signs of depression - I would do what I can to connect with you.

Severe mental illnesses aside, NOBODY should ever feel so isolated that they are willing and able to end their own life.

If I still had my TV, ( which is not for what you assume, TV watching )  I would still have it hooked up to my neighbourhood Surveillance system.  I would see that my neighbor is connecting a noose to his tree, sharpening her razors, etc…  and could call the RCMP to help, or Tazer them for thier own safety.

But we digress,  I agree we should be nicer to each other more often

mcsash, you rock.  hear you go and turn a post about suicide in hazelton to i hate my fucken neighbor, good on ya.  i remember a certain guy i knew in port ed had some fucked up neighbors, one guy named #$%%$# showed up at his house with a hockey stick one night, and had to have a whippin put on him, port ed style.  if you dont’ like your neighbor, report to the rcmp they have a grow op

What was that term again for threads that come back from the dead? 

This was from November, 2007.  Why are people all of sudden replying to it?

Maybe they are bored?