Um what's her name

Okay so that’s what you’re talking about. Sometimes it doesn’t hurt to provide some details or links, eg terracestandard.com/news/245863881.html

The same issues pretty much apply as with Kenney’s support for training more aboriginal workers for the mining industry - build pipelines and it’s a good idea to train some people who live in proximity rather than importing workers from elsewhere.

So let’s take stock of the situation. Kenney and the Harperites are on side with aboriginal training related to these projects. Industry is obviously on side; they’re putting up a lot of the money. I see that Bob Rae is involved. He’s no longer with the federal Liberals, but it’s hard to imagine them being against anything that Rae supports.

That only leaves the NDP unaccounted for. They haven’t done too well on pipeline issues so they may not be too forthcoming with comments or willing to support your cause.

Speaking of the NDP, I wonder what our MLA, um what’s her name, oh yes Jenn Rice, I wonder what she thinks about these issues? She seems to have a pretty hefty travel budget < northcoastreview.blogspot.com/20 … -list.html >. Maybe she’ll buy some carbon credits, jet up to Terrace and check into what’s going on with these energy projects.

She was just here this past week. LOL she mentioned that her travel budget will be lower this year also. She spoke at the ANBT Opening

Even though this is off topic, why was Miss Rice’s travel budget so high last year considering the Legislature hardly sat. I imagine there is somewhere to look this up.

I’m also surprised nobody has called out saltybear on how he phrased his original post.

[quote=“Gracies Mom”]

Even though this is off topic, why was Miss Rice’s travel budget so high last year considering the Legislature hardly sat. I imagine there is somewhere to look this up.

I’m also surprised nobody has called out saltybear on how he phrased his original post.[/quote]

because of reasons. You plebes arent privy to such information.

If you don’t like it go on a hunger strike. That will work for sure. Just make sure u purée everything, such as steak, chicken, potatoes, french fries, and hotdogs so that way u can say u didn’t eat anything. I heard drinking your food is ok because that dosnt count as eating. In the end we are all earthlings, and yes I see this as being extremely raciest handing out funds for one race but not to another. I was born here in Canada so I see myself as Native too. I am tired of the government segregating its citizens.

[quote=“BTravenn”]
Speaking of the NDP, I wonder what our MLA, um what’s her name, oh yes Jenn Rice, I wonder what she thinks about these issues? She seems to have a pretty hefty travel budget < northcoastreview.blogspot.com/20 … -list.html >. Maybe she’ll buy some carbon credits, jet up to Terrace and check into what’s going on with these energy projects.[/quote]

I also would like to hear or read some opinions from our MLA. Maybe I have missed interviews or newspaper articles. Has Ms. Rice published any opinion pieces in our local paper?

[quote=“BTravenn”]

Speaking of the NDP, I wonder what our MLA, um what’s her name, oh yes Jenn Rice, I wonder what she thinks about these issues? She seems to have a pretty hefty travel budget < northcoastreview.blogspot.com/20 … -list.html >. Maybe she’ll buy some carbon credits, jet up to Terrace and check into what’s going on with these energy projects.[/quote]

Getting what’'s her name’s travel budget into a thread on a federal Conservative policy on aboriginal job training can mean only one thing. Our local publisher has hacked BTravenn’s account.

get our MLA’s view on the job program LOL soooooooooo funny has she even said anything since being elected?

Quite some time ago, before the BC Election, I posed the question: “Would we be better off to have Jennifer in down in Victoria representing us, or would we be better of keeping her close to home?”

I think, I now know the answer. We are better off having her in Victoria, where she has now disappeared without a trace! Up here, she could really do some serious harm as a City Council Member.

I would like to thank the NDP block vote in Prince Rupert and in the Villages for holding their nose and electing her.

[quote=“DWhite”]
Getting what’'s her name’s travel budget into a thread on a federal Conservative policy on aboriginal job training can mean only one thing. Our local publisher has hacked BTravenn’s account.[/quote]

Skills training is both a federal and provincial issue. This headline in Black Press pretty much captures the importance of the issue: “Filling necessary jobs no ‘slam dunk’ for industry says federal employment minister” < thenorthernview.com/news/246243841.html >. Part of the back story is that the feds are cutting back on provincial funding and intervening more directly.

Is it too much to expect that our local MLA, representing a party with close ties to labour, might have something to say about skills training? Apparently so.

As for your reference to the local publisher, well that just seems to bit unbecoming in a way.

In any event, Mount Todd seems to have entered a dormant stage. His volcanic eruptions during the election campaign made some over-stated points, but his recent generalizations about unemployed people came across as petty and mean-spirited. Hopefully some of the people that he stereotyped will find some training and job opportunities.

It looks like at present their strongest champion is Jason Kenney, with former Liberal leader Bob Rae somewhere in the background, and what’s her name and her party nowhere in sight.

[quote=“Pantagruel”]
I would like to thank the NDP block vote in Prince Rupert and in the Villages for holding their nose and electing her.[/quote]

Ms. Rice will face the voters in 2017. I enjoyed reading Mr. Coon’s articles in our local paper. In my opinion Ms. Rice needs to make her views known.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

Unbecoming? MOI? Had anybody else on HTMF referred to Ms Rice as “um what’s her name” and found a way to divert a discussion on Jason Kenney to one on the MLAs travel budget and her apparent silence on a federal initiative, I wouldn’t have made the jest of Mr. Hamilton hacking the account. But it was so Todd Hamilton and so unlike your usual insightful comments, that I couldn’t resist.

But seeing that this thread should now be renamed “um what’s her name” as that appears to be the topic at hand, let me say this about that.

Whatever blunders and incompetencies the NDP mustered while blowing the election, nobody can suggest that Skills Training was not a big part of their platform. I think we can safely assume that Jennifer Rice and the NDP are in favour of Skills Training.

While you say that labour’s “strongest champion is Jason Kenney, with former Liberal leader Bob Rae somewhere in the background, and what’s her name and her party nowhere in sight”, I was wondering why you made no mention of the provincial Liberals and their (failed?) jobs program that they spent millions of taxpayer dollars bragging about in TV ads.

I am not even going to try to defend Jennifer Rice, not my job, not my desire or inclination. She’s a rookie MLA in a party with a lame duck leader facing a government that has over three years left to do whatever the hell they please. While I hope our MLA becomes a strong advocate for the concerns of the people on the Northcoast and does a good job in her role as opposition critic, I am not going to be fixated on her apparent silence (I did see her interviewed on TV the other day) while ignoring what the people with the actual power are doing.

[quote=“DWhite”]
Unbecoming? MOI? Had anybody else on HTMF referred to Ms Rice as “um what’s her name” and found a way to divert a discussion on Jason Kenney to one on the MLAs travel budget and her apparent silence on a federal initiative, I wouldn’t have made the jest of Mr. Hamilton hacking the account. But it was so Todd Hamilton and so unlike your usual insightful comments, that I couldn’t resist.

But seeing that this thread should now be renamed “um what’s her name” as that appears to be the topic at hand, let me say this about that.

Whatever blunders and incompetencies the NDP mustered while blowing the election, nobody can suggest that Skills Training was not a big part of their platform. I think we can safely assume that Jennifer Rice and the NDP are in favour of Skills Training.

While you say that labour’s “strongest champion is Jason Kenney, with former Liberal leader Bob Rae somewhere in the background, and what’s her name and her party nowhere in sight”, I was wondering why you made no mention of the provincial Liberals and their (failed?) jobs program that they spent millions of taxpayer dollars bragging about in TV ads.

I am not even going to try to defend Jennifer Rice, not my job, not my desire or inclination. She’s a rookie MLA in a party with a lame duck leader facing a government that has over three years left to do whatever the hell they please. While I hope our MLA becomes a strong advocate for the concerns of the people on the Northcoast and does a good job in her role as opposition critic, I am not going to be fixated on her apparent silence (I did see her interviewed on TV the other day) while ignoring what the people with the actual power are doing.[/quote]

A bit of a surprise to see that the administrators have adopted your suggestion and renamed the thread. Okay, let’s go with that; this is about “um what’s her name”, our local MLA, representing the party with the “lame duck leader” that committed many “blunders and incompetencies” while “blowing the election”, but whom we can “safely assume” supports skills training although they have not said anything on that topic that either of us can recall, at least since the election. You hope that she “becomes a strong advocate”. I agree with you on all of that.

Where we seem to differ is that while you’re not going to be “fixated” about her “apparent silence”, I’m Todd Hamilton for pointing out her silence and also that she is the NDP’s highest spender on travel. Now, if I was Todd I would say something like “How big is [um what’s her name’s] carbon footprint?” and “if she’s really against energy development she shouldn’t be flying in airplanes?” Those are probably poor renditions, I know, but then I’m not Todd.

Skills training cannot be just dismissed as a “federal initiative”. The feds are cutting grants to the provinces from $500 million to $200 million and the issue is under negotiation. < theglobeandmail.com/news/pol … e16846086/ >.

The fact that the government has a majority should not mean that the NDP and our local MLA somehow get a free pass for the next three years, travelling around and racking up expenses but maintaining “apparent silence” on important issues. Energy development is not an issue that is going away. They really should have something to say about it.

Travenn is right, the NDP silence is deafening. I think there are a couple of reasons for this:

a) A lot of the skills development that is being offered is resource development. If you support this skill development, presumably you will be supporting Resource Development (you can’t have one without the other - well, this is, after all B.C., so perhaps you can).

Resource Development is a pretty hot one for the environmentalist faction in the NDP and the party leaders don’t want the Greens to make further in roads. On the other hand, I as well as a number of other people, think that the NDP lost a lot of union support in the resource industries during the last campaign with its leader’s comments on Kinder Morgan.

huffingtonpost.ca/2013/05/15 … 82995.html

I suspect the NDP are trying to figure out who they are. The Greens have the environment: the liberals have staked out the economy and law & order. I doubt that not even the NDP want education, social services and health.

b) As noted, the NDP are trying to find someone to lead their party. Perhaps, they might look to the Senate?

c) UWHN (not sure how to pronounce it) has not yet been told what to say, and she is unwilling to do anything that might put her further offside with the NDP powers that be. I have been told that she managed to lose a lot of goodwill by stacking the NDP Candidate Nomination meeting with a bunch of newly carded NDPers’.

d) I am probably just really base, but, don’t forget, that being a MLA is a pretty lucrative position for UWHN. I doubt she would risk losing the salary and future pension.

[quote=“Pantagruel”] I have been told that she managed to lose a lot of goodwill by stacking the NDP Candidate Nomination meeting with a bunch of newly carded NDPers’.
[/quote]

She did a good job recruiting new members, that gave her the nomination. She is a good politician. I hope she improves as an MLA.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

Where we seem to differ is that while you’re not going to be “fixated” about her “apparent silence”, I’m Todd Hamilton for pointing out her silence and also that she is the NDP’s highest spender on travel. Now, if I was Todd I would say something like “How big is [um what’s her name’s] carbon footprint?” and “if she’s really against energy development she shouldn’t be flying in airplanes?” Those are probably poor renditions, I know, but then I’m not Todd.

Skills training cannot be just dismissed as a “federal initiative”. The feds are cutting grants to the provinces from $500 million to $200 million and the issue is under negotiation. < theglobeandmail.com/news/pol … e16846086/ >.

The fact that the government has a majority should not mean that the NDP and our local MLA somehow get a free pass for the next three years, travelling around and racking up expenses but maintaining “apparent silence” on important issues. Energy development is not an issue that is going away. They really should have something to say about it.[/quote]

Actually where we differ is your interpretation of my thoughts. I seem to have hit a nerve in my joke about Todd Hamilton hacking your account with a completely out of character, off topic, somewhat rude post for BTravenn who, if a vote were taken, would likely win for most insightful poster on HTMF. I truly apologize especially if you thought I was making a sweeping generalization that you are always like Todd Hamilton. You are not Todd Hamilton, not even close. It was a dig at one post.

But there is a serious intent to my dig. And no I am not dismissing skill training as just a federal initiative and no I am not suggesting that the opposition be given a free ride and yes, I suppose it would be nice if the NDP were a little more public about their opinions especially now that the Legislature is finally back in session. (BTW, I made the mistake of liking them on facebook during the election and I still get lots of stuff from them, most of which I ignore.)

But whatever Jennifer Rice or Nathan Cullen and the NDP have to say or do pales in comparison to whatever Christy Clark and the Liberals or Stephen Harper and the Conservatives say and do.

I just found it very strange that a thread that began with a criticism of a federal announcement on skill training for first nations all of a sudden became a critique of Jennifer Rice for being silent on said initiative. Instead of discussing the people with actual power, we gave them the free pass and went after the people with no power.

But the administrators have corrected everything so we now have the appropriate thread to vent away. I am sure to enjoy people’s perspectives.

Oh, okay, you think I was somewhat rude then. Gosh.

The Opposition does have power, in particular to influence public opinion, which can influence the rank and file of a governing party, as Gordo found out after the last election. The Opposition’s job is to provide an alternative voice on important issues, not just lie low until the next election and update their Facebook pages with photos of social functions. The NDP is who is giving the government a free pass, particularly here, less so in Ottawa, where they are the Official Opposition, at least until the next federal election.

I think that the following captures a lot of what has gone wrong with the NDP:

The NDP seems to be stuck somewhere between supporting labour and jobs and protecting the environment, and they have ended up supporting neither. The Liberals defined LNG and pipelines as the central issue during the last election while the NDP mumbled about Kinder Morgan. They probably did lose some of their traditional union support as a result.

What’s interesting about the story that started off the other thread is that the aboriginal training organization in Terrace is taking the possibility of pipeline jobs very seriously, including by bringing in Bob Rae (he’s played a similar role in Ontario with the controversial ‘Ring of Fire’ mining developments).

Also noteworthy is that the Nisga’a government has put out a prospectus saying where they would like to see LNG development in their part of the Noast Coast: < northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … sions.html >. It’s an impressive document (the article has a link). We also know that LaxKwalaams has been in negotiations over the proposed LNG site near their community, which the government has promoted with industry.

So where is the NDP and our local MLA on these issues? The connection between NDP silence and training funds announced in person by Jason Kenney in Terrace is not tenuous or off topic. It looks to me like the NDP may be risking another part of their support base, particularly in the Northwest, essentially by failing ‘to figure out who they are’.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

The Opposition does have power, in particular to influence public opinion, which can influence the rank and file of a governing party, as Gordo found out after the last election. The Opposition’s job is to provide an alternative voice on important issues, not just lie low until the next election and update their Facebook pages with photos of social functions. The NDP is who is giving the government a free pass, particularly here, less so in Ottawa, where they are the Official Opposition, at least until the next federal election.[/quote]

Note to self: Don’t make a joke about a BTravenn post.

Here is somewhere else we differ. I don’t presume that somebody wouldn’t know the role of the opposition.

And we also differ in the role the opposition played in the demise of Gordon Campbell. If you are referring to the HST debacle, it wasn’t the clearly stated policy of the NDP that made the difference. Rather it was Bill VanderZalm and his organization that was able to galvanize a generally pissed off public who felt they had been lied to.

Which is why we also differ on the extent of power the opposition has. When it comes to say the building of Northern Gateway, it won’t be the speeches of the opposition in the Legislature or Parliament that will make the difference, it will be how well somebody organizes the people in the streets or along the pipeline routes.

Where we do agree is that the NDP is still reeling from the election and hasn’t yet figured out what they are supposed to do next. That might not be how an NDP supporter might feel (I am more of a Liberal hater) but it is certainly the general consensus.

And finally, here is one more place where we differ. I, who was very disappointed at the election results, has given up on the NDP at least until they figure out what they are all about. I have no idea if their facebook page is an update of photos at social functions. I don’t go to their page. What I am getting from them is not an opposition giving the government a free pass. They are press releases or articles critiquing government policy on ferries, health care, education, social services etc. or videos of speeches (like Jennifer Rice on the Highway of Tears). But as much as I might agree with what they are saying, I can’t help but think “tempest in a teapot”. It really doesn’t matter, especially until they elect a new leader who can organize the party around some defining set of principles.

In the meantime, we either have a good government passing good legislation or we don’t. If we do, then it doesn’t matter a whole lot what the opposition has to say. We are content with the good government. If we don’t, then I would rather spend my time attacking the legislation rather than attacking the incompetence of the opposition or blaming them for allowing a bad government to be elected in the first place.

If we could only get her face on a nice milk carton , Missing MLA , if found please notify local office . Shit I can not remember what she does look like but a guess when someone is not around much then they are easy to forget .