Ultimate Tech support Story

Ah the wonder of Windoze. Like today, six running programs/processes for a Logitech wireless mouse. Oooooh better get a 5GigHz machine and a Terabyte drive…
But I have another customer from hell story: the South African doctor’s wife. She’s actually not a bad person except for the attitude (you’re a service person, hop to it kaffir!):
She gets our wireless service from across the lake, and it runs to her Dell wireless router inside. Insists on running to a Dell USB wireless reciever to her huge desktop which is three feet away. Plus her wireless laptop, which she always uses sitting at the same place.
I can ping the outside radio, not the inside. Her adapters don’t pick up an IP from the router. It HAS to be our equipment because Dell can’t possibly make a product that fails after only a year and a half. Brought the router & laptop to the office and questioned every move my tech made. He finally said to her, well I got the drivers in and Rick here would be happy to finish for you and walked out of the shop before he choked her.
TO make a long story a little shorter, I agreed with her that Dell would probably know more than we did and sent her home. She called today and Dell told her to disconnect everything then run the setup disk. It didn’t work (obviously you can’t program a router that’s not connected or even powered on) and she was really annoyed! Couldn’t convince her you can’t program a machine that’s turned off (but Dell SAID), and gave her my senior partners home number. hahahaha!
So the good part of the story thru the grapevine: a couple weeks back they had to make a trip back to South Africa. They were really pissed at americans because they had to change planes at LAX on the way back. Apparently the customs nabbed them, had their luggage pulled, tore it apart, took away their carry-on stuff and hand searched it, then took them to a windowless room and strip searched them. They were locked in the room for four hours until the plane left, then everything was handed back without an apology. I hear their willing to pay three times a much to Air Canada next time so as to ‘never again go near those American bastards’.

— $50 sez: the customs guy was black and she copped the attitude. After dealing with her, if I was a customs guy I would. I’d call for the biggest, ugliest looking, rudest, blackest inspector on staff and tell him to go for it bro’! Full cavity search!
:laughing:

Your customer sounds alot like my girlfriends mother, who for some reason thinks defragging her pentium II 500mhz machine every week will help with performance ignoring both my advice and the windows popup that says you do not need to defrag. Why? because a future shop tech said it was a good idea, the same future shop tech who told her it is impossible to network 2 computers without a router/hub and you cant just put 2 network cards in 1 machine… but those future shop/dell techs are so high trained they know more than everyone :unamused:

An online HP rep once told me to edit the registry, then shut the machine off until morning because Windows sometimes needs overnight to read registry changes!
(I didn’t want to tell the lady i was a dell serviceperson. she might have stayed longer)

im dell dcse 5.5 certified with my server admin’s and lexmark and others list goe’s on…

Yay pissing contest :laughing: I am cisco CCNA A+ umm some other it professional certificate i dont even care… i might even have some linux ones i dont know about. Guess i should pay more attention to what i was in school for :unamused: I know i did some solaris courses and some hp linux stuff and uhh i dont even know excuse me while i email my prof’s about certificates.

so what great lies did you learn to BS customers? :laughing:
“My XP keeps rebooting when I connect to the Internet”.
“Oh, it’s bad sectors on your hard drive. The Maxtor HDs they sell to the public aren’t as good as the Maxtors Dell uses…”

Man if you are talking to me you better shut the fuck up. A+ is a very high quality program only teh most elite and highest caliber technicians can pass it due to their extremely high standards. I am shocked an offended you would say such things :cry:

a+
:laughing:

:open_mouth: I am so very shocked and offended you would insult my credentials like that i worked very hard to get my a+ certificate.

ok ok i wrote both tests in 10 min. 30 if you include the time for the stupid surveys.

once a customer actually said “It’s not rocket science ya know”

so i told him “yeah those bastards at NASA laid us all off, now i have to do this shit for a living…”

Ahh i was just reminded of my tech story… ok here goes, 2 years ago i was asked to install windows xp… on a pentium 133 with 16 megs of ram and a 1.6gb hard drive. On the plus side i sold them a new machine and we were all happy because “my internet isnt slow to open anymore” and i had my money.

i had aguy like that the other day, but 32 MB and a P2/233. Got really mad when i sugested putting it back to 98 or Me or buying a new computer. The adult ed teachers told him XP was better, so I must be a retard.

(i really am a retard, i’m still here)

Ahh the reason i quit servicing computers how could i have forgotten… I am more interested in networking now because that way at least my boss will listen to me… though i dont have a job… anyone wanna hire me?

network - no way! don’t you know that’s dangerous! we have confidential information on our computers.
BTW do you carry 300 foot printer cables, 8 way print switches and blank floppies? we want to send those confidential files to a print room that everyone shares
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Well considering i packed bags of concrete bundles of shingles 1inch plywood 14 ft 2x10s and various other heavy shit all summer sure why not.

300 foot printer cables. Um yeah… do they still work : O ) humm * scratches head * i dunno about that one. : O ) why not just use ethernet ?

Oxymoron - “Microsoft Works”

“Computers are like air conditioners: they stop working as soon as you open Windows”

“The day Microsoft makes something that doesn’t suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners.”